PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Hammy Entertained

samzyzg
08-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Hammy is so lazy in his cage, however is a white fluffball of energy outside of his cage! I've spent 5 minutes trying to write that one line due to chasing hammy around to stop him jumping off the bed ¬.¬

I was wondering if there was any ideas how to keep him more entertained in his cage?
What i've done recently due to lack of megazorb i haven't managed to clean him out yet (getting more tomorrow) so I have used almost a whole roll of toilet paper and put a bundle in his cage for him to burrow in. (I've also been hiding some food in it)

He isn't too keen on using his wheels, he only has one in his cage at the moment due to the toilet paper pile.

(oh i gave him a box with treats to play in so i could write, he's gotten bored and is now chewing on my laptop ¬.¬)

I love seeing him full of energy even if it does mean him jumping/falling off of my bed (its not a far fall but i worry when he does)

O.o my eyes are decieving me he went for a 30s run on his wheel. Now for a dig in the food box again!!

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas in general for more things for my little man to do!

(sorry for the random comments in between its just amusing things he does, oh back on the wheel, we have some success :) )

jesselle
08-06-2012, 01:40 AM
i hide treats around their cages, so they can satisfy their natural foraging instincts. you could scatter feed half of his food?

i made a digging area for my lazier hybrid wonton (he rarely uses his wheel too) and he is quite often in there. i bury loo roll tubes under the substrate etc so that he can tunnel in:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh621/jessellesmith/aa5f8e27.jpg

if you have room for a flying saucer, maybe try him on one of those, he might prefer it to a wheel. i'm thinking of trying wonton out on one.

samzyzg
08-06-2012, 02:52 AM
He is already scatter fed (i can't make his substrate too deep due to the cage. And he usually has a flying saucer + a silent spinner in his cage :)

Just not its only the flying saucer because a ton of the cage is taken up with a temporary substrate until i can go get the megazorb (which is actually in like and hour xD)

he also has one loo roll tube half buried and a sputnick + sandbath + log bridge :3

jesselle
08-06-2012, 02:57 AM
OH NO!!! maybe he needs a 3D tv and surround sound hehe :)

Arraminta
08-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Have you tried toilet roll treats? There is a thread on the forum.. Apologies as I can't remember who's idea it is.. I believe their are it tube videos too..

To be honest.. Mine spend the whole night trying to getme to take them out and if I don't they go back to bed!! Out of the cage like yours they run about like lunatics!!

I think they save their cage playing for when we are in bed..

Arraminta x

samzyzg
08-06-2012, 03:12 AM
I do consider that as he can be very quiet in his cage. If he's gotten my interest for at least a second he spends about 5 minutes chewing a bit of his cage.

I was considering the toilet roll treats, must go find the thread now xD I mainly want to know that he's happy in his cage. I am considering moving him to one of the bin cages if i get my robo's an upgrade (hammy has had one upgrade however my robo's haven't, apart from being separated) They is because the bin cage would allow him more room to dig in, which he may enjoy.

If use think of anything else which would help make sure he is entertained and not getting bored (this is usual behaviour for him i just worry sometimes)