PDA

View Full Version : erm how to get them all out

Matty Day
04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
i have moved them and let Athena have a wheel run while I was doing it . So next problem how to get them all out there in a perfecto and the nest is under the shelf how to get them all out would it be ok to leave a ball in there and wait until they jump in or would it be better to just pull open the next and pick up the lot?

would it be ok to put mum in a separate box and have the pups in my main play pen or would it be ok to have them all in the same pen?

U I cant do anything for half hour as I have had a massive attack of cramp in my toes

Spuds Mum
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Id go for the ball technique myself Matty, less traumatic for the pups I would think.

I found that our Mums got quite anxious when we placed them somewhere else with the pups, so we usually put Mum in a ball for a run and then handle the pups before putting them back in their tub before then putting Mum back.

Id keep handling quite short at first, as it does tend to be quite a stressful experience for the pups until they get used to it.

(oh and I did have a thought that it was a possibility that the Perfecto might make it hard for handling - but hey we all live and learn dont we :D )

Good luck, hope it goes alright - stand on a cold floor for the toe cramps - ouch

Matty Day
04-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Well its plan b I am going to do an early separation maybe on Monday or maybe Wednesday I think they should be ok with bars but well have to see I am going to get either two Cambridge’s (preferred) or two rodys trouble is these cages are permanent cages for the pups we keep

no luck just woudnt jump into the ball :cry:

or if i can raise the funds buy some bins then move them there and then into permnent cages later

souffle
04-10-2008, 02:23 PM
To start with matty I would not try and take them all out. Take the lid off and stay near the cage. Put in the food and when the pups come out pick up and immediatly lay the pup down again at the food dish. Repeat several times each pup. Next day lift and lay but hold it a little longer, next day lift the pup out and let it sit on your hand oven a low safe surface. Once you have handled one put it in a box in the corner of the cage to be sure you have done them all. Be careful about separating too early though as this is a large litter and they may need mum still. Is she still suckling them and does she still sleep in the nest with them? Don't worry you will get them all tamed up fine. Whenever you see them out just lift them or stroke and put back. Don't forget mum and always rub your hands in the bedding first to scent them. Glad to hear they are up with you now and you can push on with the taming. Thanks matty's dad!

Matty Day
04-11-2008, 09:43 AM
well im getting a rody on sunday so im going to move pup and mum in there and then start realy taming them :x

Matty Day
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
i treid tonight and they just dont like im going for the rody me thinks :x

Matty Day
04-11-2008, 12:27 PM
what i mean is im not going to tryagain until there in the rody on sunday :x