PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Tamer Needed in Daventry

Bourne Valley Hams
04-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Anyone near Daventry who fancies a challenge?
I have received an email from a woman whose daughter is scared of her new hamster, and the hamster is scared of her.
She feels she needs some one to one help, not just advice sheets.

Bunsey
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
um, where's daventry? is that Down South?

Bourne Valley Hams
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM
well I thought it must be up north!!!

Spuds Mum
04-09-2008, 01:27 PM
I thought it was Essex!

Bourne Valley Hams
04-09-2008, 01:27 PM
It would appear to be Northamptonshire - so definitely Up North to me!!

Spuds Mum
04-09-2008, 01:28 PM
googled as Northamptonshire! I hope someone can help!

Holly
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM
It's not THAT far from us - though we've got our hands full at the moment really. I'd be rubbish - Will's my hamster tamer and being bitten doesn't bother him a jot.

Is it a Syrian?

I'm trying to think - I think someone on here is Northants - but I can't think who? :?

Bourne Valley Hams
04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
It's not THAT far from us - though we've got our hands full at the moment really. I'd be rubbish - Will's my hamster tamer and being bitten doesn't bother him a jot.

Is it a Syrian?

I'm trying to think - I think someone on here is Northants - but I can't think who? :?

I am assuming it is Syrian - but the email doesn't actually say.
Here is an extract from the email -

my daughter loves hamsters but afriad to handle them and i bought one over xmas and it escaped 4 times and now it is afraid to be handled and i am thinking to rehome it and amy my daughter needs to go somewhere to learn how to handle them and learn how to look after them and can you help this with me ?

Holly
04-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Well that does work sometimes, doesn't it - I've a feeling we are a bit far away for her to make regular visits while Will does his stuff. I bet it's tameable though - it's still probably quite young.

*Wracking brain trying to think who's in Northants*

Matty Day
04-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I bet its a P@h ham. I really wish that pet stores could even handle them once or twice so they aren’t so terrified when then they get taken home :roll:

hope some one can help :x

Bunsey
04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
that isn't north, it's not even north midlands! That's down south for me.

Below B'ham = south, Above b'ham = north. level with b'ham = midlands.
Geography for the insane :lol:

Spuds Mum
04-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Me insane then too Amy -

I make a real distinction with being in the Midlands even though everyone thinks I live 'up North'. but I do live at the North of the Midlands of course. But my hamster club is the Northern hamster club....
....as they used to say in Soap
"Confused? You will be!" :x

sarahh
04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi ya I really hope the girls mother can find someone to help her tame her hamster. I really wish people would research hamsters care etc before they go and get a hamster.
P@H I agree don't handle their hams so when they are bought they are terrified. I find handling a doddle I can have terrified hams tamed in 4/5 days no probs. Mya was a P@H ham and she was terrified when I bought her and was shreeking 4/5 days later she was tame and now she is lovely.

Sarah x

Bourne Valley Hams
04-09-2008, 02:50 PM
that isn't north, it's not even north midlands! That's down south for me.

Below B'ham = south, Above b'ham = north. level with b'ham = midlands.
Geography for the insane :lol:

No no - all wrong!! Above M4 = North
Above Birmingham = further north than I can possibly imagine!

Bunsey
04-09-2008, 03:48 PM
i have no idea where the M4 is... it must be further south than i've ever been! :lol:

i drew this map once to demonstrate to an Austrailian friend...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/hamsters%20feb%202008/engerlandmap.jpg

As you can see, Sue, you live in London. Any show in Oxford, Thame, Shurdington etc. has no business calling itself "midlands" :lol: Midlands is B'ham/black country/derby etc.
Worcester/Gloucester etc. is Down South

Bourne Valley Hams
04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Well as I was born in Hastings I consider that I live quite far North now!! :lol:

Bunsey
04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Isn't that like the south coast? That's France :lol:
When i went to Thame, that was the furthest south i've ever driven. I went on the M40! that's in London... all of it! :lol:

chase
04-13-2008, 05:31 AM
The only Hamster Whisperer :D I used to know and she has now moved to Edinburgh (have no idea of Distances, Sorry).
She is a breeder/rescuer/show. Jeremiah Hamstery. She can sometimes tame them in under an hour and is not afraid of any hamster. I know i have had extremely tame hamsters from her in years past. Shame she moved.

suga
04-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Can't help with the hamster taming (for obvious reasons LOL)

Gotta say though love the the map. I always say that north is anything north of watford, but now living in the silly part of the map, it makes me chuckle every time that on the road signs where I am - it stills signs for the north, as there is north of north of north! When you are in the north it says south - which is even funnier.

Anyone on the east - does it say sign to the west and vice versa.

Spuds Mum
04-13-2008, 09:42 AM
It certainly does Suga! We dont get signs for the East though - as we are on the coast and, so basically we are as far East as you can go! :wink:

Leon
04-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Hah! I love it too. Being from Kent, I also used to say anywhere north of Watford was north - had a friend from Peterborough who used to get very annoyed with me about that :wink: But then I went to uni in Durham :shock: and was constantly amazed that even as I turned off the A1M there, there were STILL signs to "the north". How much more north can you get??

So my bewilderment drove me across the pond, where I am comfortably neither in the north or the south :lol:

babyboos
04-17-2008, 04:49 AM
It is often a two way thing - owners give off fear and the wee hamster picks up on this - the smell of fear comes out in your sweat and palms are very sweaty things...
a bit unfair to generalise maybe that the hamster is from P@H they are not the only petshop or even breeder to not handle their babies and they are trying to get better

internet_nobody
04-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Have you managed to find anyone yet? I'm in Coventry, its not exactly near but I think its about a 20 min drive...almost immune to bites too :P

BatKat
05-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Bunsey,

Thanks for putting me in France :shock: :? I thought i lived on the south coast but obviously i live in Paris, i now have my beret on my head, wearing a stripy top and have onions around my neck!!!!!! Bonjour to All in the north which is now on the south coast of England!!!

Seriously, i would love to help tame the hamster but i'm now totally confused as to the location of the poor scared little soul.

Au Revoir

Jen