PDA

View Full Version : anyone got rats?

Queen Of The High Teas
07-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Does anyone here keep rats? If so do you know if you can use Aubiose as bedding for them and if it is any good at absorbing smells, staying dry etc? I use Megazorb for my lot at the moment, but the cages are so big it's not really lasting that well, and I'm sure Aubiose comes in a much bigger bag. Correct me if I'm wrong on that thought though.

kyrilliondaemon
07-27-2012, 02:59 PM
You can use it. We use it for the hams and it works well for them and I know at least one who uses it for rats and really likes it :)

Not sure how big the megazorb bags are in comparison to aubiose bales though.

Lougarry
07-27-2012, 03:03 PM
The bales look much the same size in the farm shop.

Gamina
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Bales are much the same size to be honest. I find my boys kick megazorb and auboise everywhere. I use ecobed and it has been the best thing I have found in retaining the smells. I do a spot clean every 3 days and a full hammock change once a week but the ecobed is changed fortnightly. With auboise and megazorb and indeed carefresh I was having to full clean weekly.

Mona's Humans
07-28-2012, 12:30 AM
aubiose and megazorb size wise isn't much different, though i find the aubiose spreads further as its a little more compact, and the megazorb is quite loosely packed :)

Queen Of The High Teas
07-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Thank you:) I didn't know they were pretty much the same size, it always looked like the megazorb bag was flatter/smaller but like MH said it could be due to it being packed looser. Gamina I don't think I can get Ecobed from my farm suppliers who get my stuff for me, and it also doesn't look very soft for hamsters or gerbils. I need something that will do for everyone as I don't have the money/space for lots of different beddings. Thank you for suggesting it though:).

fluffymunchkins
07-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Not sure if where I have mine from the bag sizes are different. But the megazorb certainly isn't as big as the aubiose. I know because I can carry a full megazorb bag, but I've got no chance with a full aubiose :mad:
Sorry I don't have full bags atm, otherwise I'd take a comparison shot.
The aubiose lasts a lot longer and is less dusty usually, though bags do vary.
I use megazorb for the gerbils as it keeps tunnel formations better :) But the aubiose is easier to use for the hamsters x

ETA - Aubiose bales are 20 KG, I think megazorb bags work out to about 15KG

Mona's Humans
07-28-2012, 08:19 AM
ETA - Aubiose bales are 20 KG, I think megazorb bags work out to about 15KG

The megazorb bags are certainly lighter, because i always opt for carrying them not the aubiose from the car, and leave hubby with the aubiose lol! The megazorb is a little flatter than the aubiose bale too :)

I don't have full bales/bags of each either atm, sorry,

Amethyst_ice
08-09-2012, 12:51 AM
personally im not keen on the smell of auboise for ratties because of their sensitive respiratory stystems..plus it certainly is a nuisence to clean up! Can i suggest a cardboard bedding to try, i got 2 bales of finacard that i am am only just coming to the end of having bought it in november! Thats doing ratty and hammy cage. i use megazorb for litter tray x

racinghamster
08-09-2012, 07:36 AM
When I kept rats, I used the cardboard bedding called Bedxcel (20kg bales) mainly because I didn`t know about hemp/Aubiose back then and the fact that rats in partcular carry an organism called mycoplasma pulmonis which can trigger respiratory problems, or mild sneezing in rats. But if I kept rats today, I would definately try Aubiose (not Hemcore as it has citronella added) because I tried it with my mice and they got on really well with aubiose and mice like rats, can be prone to respiratory issues. I was reluctant to give hemp a try with my mice, but I was pleasantly surprised and it caused no reactions.

Zooplus sell Hugro hemp in smaller bags if you wanted to buy a smaller bag to sample and perhaps put the hemp in one side of the rats cage and see how they get on with it? :)

Amethyst_ice
08-09-2012, 07:53 AM
the fact that rats in partcular carry an organism called mycoplasma pulmonis which can trigger respiratory problems, or mild sneezing in rats. B

Myco isn't the only resp issue, myco comes with a whole other host of issues and things, all my boys sneeze but none seem to have myco. Bedxcel is more expensive than finacard.

Check ratrations for bedding, they do small ammounts :)

Bedding and Substrate : ratRations.com (http://www.ratrations.com/bedding-and-substrate-c-60.html)

Gamina
08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Yup Caprica has beautifully clear lungs and his brother has no ill affects from Myco, however he does have a acute case of sinusitis which restricts airflow into his nose and any dust at all flares him up like mad. Starbuck who does suffer with myco dosen't suffer with his breathing in a way that is not manageable but his skin with flare up when he suffers a big myco outbreak and he needs regular application of cream. Even the thinner cut of finacard can have a negative impact on his health so it tends to be ecobed or nothing for him :( the way the hemp made his skin flare up along with mine made it the first bedding I have ever had to throw away.

ami_j
08-19-2012, 07:19 AM
I had my rats on Aubiose, I have a sensitive girl and she was fine with it. Found it very absorbent, I tried something else and can't wait to go back to it. It is quite messy but vacuums easier than card.

Amethyst_ice
08-20-2012, 12:29 PM
i find the card far easier to clean up, it sweeps up from carpet and doesnt clog the hoover as much :)

Queen Of The High Teas
08-21-2012, 03:03 AM
Thanks for all replies. I have ordered a bag of Aubiose in from my farm supplier to try out, as the megazorb just isn't going far enough between everyone. I don't want cardboard as it won't be any use for the hamsters, and I need something that will do for all as I dont have the space for big bales of different beddings. If it turns out no good, I think I'll just order 2 bags of megazorb at a time instead! Being hooverable isn't an issue as their in my rodent shed, not the house, and it has a lino floor:p

Amethyst_ice
08-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Thats good, but I must disagree that finacard is ok for hammies. Bear has been making some very sturdy nests with his :)

sully
08-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Thats good, but I must disagree that finacard is ok for hammies. Bear has been making some very sturdy nests with his :)

Any pictures of the nest please?

Amethyst_ice
08-22-2012, 12:31 PM
lol ill try get one later, he's an old man so always in his bed and a grumpy old thing lol he's had less of late though because of the heat, in winter he managed to make an actual dome!

Gamina
08-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Yeah Greyjoy has carefresh in at the moment but when he was running low he had card bedding and made an amazing fluffy nest by shredding all the cardboard into this crazy soft stuff.

sully
08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Mine make nests out of coloured carefresh..................... obviously it does but i didnt think that finacard would stay together?

Amethyst_ice
08-22-2012, 01:03 PM
no it does, you get the odd big chunk out of it but its so varied in sizes its like tetris, it holds bears nest very solid, its quite sad at clean out!

sully
08-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Aww, poor Bear! :(

Amethyst_ice
08-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Best I could sneak! You can see its holding the sleepy bit lol

Theres a bit of megazorb for his wee corner and he shredded a toilet tube too which is the white bits :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/562905_10100247526329285_376265874_n.jpg

vanilla-yazoo
08-23-2012, 02:31 PM
I use finacard with the hams as it dosnt tangle as bad in hammies fur (the odd strand dose, but most of it is tangle free) and with the buns in their litter tray, I previously used the papellet from finacard.
220 litres finacard £13 vs 85 litres of megazorb £14 inc post

The papellet is 75 litres for £24 it sounds costly, but it was really absorbent and well worth the money, I am on finacard as its cheaper but when using the papellet there was no smell from the cages, when it came to cleaning out, barely anything needed to be taken only wee corners (Syrians. It helps with Chinese smells but their wee is highly pungent)

Finacard is more dusty then hemp, but hemp feels like little needles!
If it only a litter tray ild def say go for papellet! But a whole clean it's down to preference and allergys :)

sully
08-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Best I could sneak! You can see its holding the sleepy bit lol

Theres a bit of megazorb for his wee corner and he shredded a toilet tube too which is the white bits :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/562905_10100247526329285_376265874_n.jpg

Gosh its a very nice firm looking nest, im really suprised!

Amethyst_ice
08-26-2012, 04:11 PM
:) told you, don't write of finacard :)

sully
08-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I bet its stuck together with 'hamster lick' :D

sully
08-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Just found out through silvers post that finacard isnt what i thought it was, i thought it was the square peices of card, couldnt see properly on the picture.

Cookiemistress
08-31-2012, 11:42 PM
Does anyone here keep rats? If so do you know if you can use Aubiose as bedding for them and if it is any good at absorbing smells, staying dry etc? I use Megazorb for my lot at the moment, but the cages are so big it's not really lasting that well, and I'm sure Aubiose comes in a much bigger bag. Correct me if I'm wrong on that thought though.

I've always used biocatolet as it doesnt get wet really and absorbs the smell abit

Gamina
09-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Just found out through silvers post that finacard isnt what i thought it was, i thought it was the square peices of card, couldnt see properly on the picture.

Thats ecobed which I use, The cardboard is cut into more uniform square pieces.

Queen Of The High Teas
09-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Well I have now tried the aubiose and will be sticking with it. It looks nice, doesn't get flung out as easy as megazorb as it's heavier, and is keeping the cage clean and dry so I'm happy with it. Cookiemistress I have tried Biocatolet and found it really difficult to clean out. Maybe it was my cage tray but it stuck something awful to it and was really really hard to scrape out, and it was expensive for a relatively small bag so I gave up with it.