PDA

View Full Version : Seperating Pups

Louby
04-08-2008, 07:44 AM
When its time for you to take the pups from mum and seperate them, what cages do you use?

Do you have basic wire cages as they will only be in them for a couple of weeks, or do you have extra cages of your normal choice ie - Gabber/Zoozone etc?

agatecrystal
04-08-2008, 08:03 AM
I use basic wire cages that they cant escape out of, I dont see the need to spend £40 on two cages for the sake of 2-3 weeks. But thats probably cos Im skint lol.

souffle
04-08-2008, 08:05 AM
We take the pups away from mum at 4 weeks. Sometimes a few days earlier if she is fed up with them or it is a big litter. They are separated into groups of boys and girls. We have tank style cages (gabber rexes) to separate them into. As they grow we might get cages from their new homes and put them into smaller groups. Girls usually start to squabble first. Boys often stay together longer.

Spuds Mum
04-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Well we currently have our boys still in the tub cage that we use as a breeding cage, and have a Peggy Metro for our two little girls - but if there had been more girls we would have used a gabber or another tub cage.

Holly
04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
By four weeks (a little before if it's a big litter and mum is tired/starting to lose it with them) mine go into single sex groups - into Gabber/Rody type cages (though, at that age, there's be no problem at all using a wire cage!).

Matty Day
04-08-2008, 03:21 PM
i think I am going to do Athena’s separation at 3.5 weeks as i think she may have 8 or 9 in there and my dad is being annoying and is refusing to help me move them up here so i can seperate them.

and if it continues like this i might have to intensely tame the lot :?

souffle
04-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Maybe you could ask a mate to help you move them upstairs then you could tame them in a more relaxed way matty and enjoy watching them grow up too.

Basia
04-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I weaned this litter at 25 days because Truffle was 'standing' again and obviously had no milk. I am running them on all together until the weekend and will then put the girls into a separate cage. I tend to use the tank cages because I think it is the one thing they are good for, not keen on them on the whole. However, I think they would love wire cages because they love climbing on things.

Matty Day
04-08-2008, 03:38 PM
its his over couscous nature just because his friends gerbils did it he thought Athena’s going to do it :? and a few of his work mates are tell him it :?

and I have told him if she does then there old enough to be separated if needs be.

and i cant get any help from anyone else as the plan was to let Athena have a run around in her ball and move it when she is out of the tank and she not out until 1 or 2 pm :evil:

next litter's going in a rex and I am not putting it downs stairs 8)