PDA

View Full Version : Kipton has hurt his Toe

pophammy
04-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Last night when we got Kipton (Winter White) out we noticed his toe on his front right foot appeared to be swollen and red-looking. It looks like he's got a little scab on it and we think he might of pulled the nail. :( He is still acting normally and running around but we have booked an appointment for him at the vet at 3:30 to have it checked.

Anyone else had toe problems with their hams? :?

Holly
04-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Oh yes - it seems to be quite common.

As you know Napoleon hurt his toe before he came to live with you (swinging on the bars :roll: ) and the same thing happened to Tinsel, my friends Dom Spot who recovered completely, though it took several weeks to heal totally (though it didn't seem to bother him at all).

Hope he's ok, bless him

jayne
04-07-2008, 05:13 AM
I've not had any experience with my hams having toe problems but i am concerned about the silent spinner wheels and the little slats that are between the two parts to them. Does Kipton have a silent spinner by any chance?

pophammy
04-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Yes but we have sellotaped over all the holes as we have heard of other people having problems.

He doesn't seem the slightest bit bothered with it but we thought it would be best to have it looked at anyway!

jayne
04-07-2008, 06:12 AM
I will need to get that done also pophammy! I am just so paranoid about it and was thinking of replacing the wheel instead. Did you just use normal sellotape or can you recommend anything else to use?

Yes, best to get him checked. Peace of mind for you and hopefully less pain for Kipton :wink: I am sure he will be fine though PH :)

pophammy
04-07-2008, 08:39 AM
We just used normal sellotape to cover the holes. It works fine but may need changing when you clean the cage.

We have just got back from the vets with Kippy and he said that he thinks he has a slight infection, and so has given him a course of Baytril. :? We have taken his wheel out for now just in case and given him some tubes instead. Hopefully he will be better soon!

Spuds Mum
04-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Hope the little guy is okay - I know that Matty's chinese Louis also has a bad toe at the moment :(

Luckily Ive not had this problem (yet). Glad he has got his antibiotics, and hopefully he will soon be in fine fettle!

Matty Day
04-07-2008, 10:43 AM
yeah my Louis went to the vet on Friday he’s currently on antibiotics and the swellings going down its improved since Friday he sound just like kipton he was normal to

souffle
04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Do you have to put them in the water matty or give them by syringe? We opted for the syringe but I think Kipton has more on his chest tonight than in his mouth so we will have to be firmer tomorrow to make sure they go in :? It does not taste nice (tried it :shock: ) No wonder he was spitting and washing his face. It's only 0.05ml a day. Is Louis tummy OK? I was wondering if he would go loose but have some Avipro at the ready . The vet was good and was impressed with Kiptons tameness. He said he liked him :lol: He thought he might come to the show so he could see all the hamster types as he does not see that many. His toe looks like it has a little yellow head on one part so hopefully that will go when the antibiotics work. we will have to see if he is fit for Brockholes.

I_am_plankton
04-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Just a tip, with antibiotics, mix it with a really tiny bit of ribena, they love it!

Matty Day
04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
yeah hes ok he sleeping in some strange places and has been a bit sleepy but apart from that he,s fine

im on the syringe to but my dose is 0.02ml louis like's it. he take's it no problem today he put his paws round the syringe as i was giving him it :x

jayne
04-07-2008, 11:46 AM
poor kipton! at least hes getting the medication and i hope his toe gets better soon.
babyboos on here advised me to use some apple juice too, helps take the nasty taste away for them, ribena as Leanne said too is good :wink:

Holly
04-14-2008, 02:17 AM
How is Kipton doing now?

Aero has done the same :( ...on Saturday night it looked very swollen but last night it seemsed to have gone down. It doesn't seem to be stopping her swinging from the roof and doing everything but I know hamsters hide it when they are in pain (the prey animal thing) so we'll go to the vets if it looks sore this afternoon.

souffle
04-14-2008, 02:30 AM
Kipton has now finished his 7 days on antibiotics and though the swelling has gone down to pretty well normal the skin still looks red. I think it just takes a long time to heal over in this area as it is always subjust to pressure. I can now see that there is blood sort of inside the nail so I think it was the nail bed that was damaged originally and that will have to grow out before the normal nail grows in. He is still acting normally and does not seem to miss his wheel much. We took it out to rest him. he has loads of tubes and toys instead. He is looking rather 'moulty' just now as are all our guys. The baytril was fine and caused no tummy problems or anything though he does have a sticky tum from spitting it out.
Hope aero is OK and her toe heals well. Thats so she doesn#t have to have babies Holly!!!!

Holly
04-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Glad Kippers is doing better.

Aero's damaged her nail bed as well, I think - there's redness inside the nail.

Hope aero is OK and her toe heals well. Thats so she doesn#t have to have babies Holly!!!!

I know :(

If she's still like at the weekend she won't be coming to Brockholes and, therefore, won't be going to Sheryl's to meet her man :roll:

Luckily she's only four months old so there is still time - not sure when we'll see Sheryl again though - I'll have to email her.

souffle
04-14-2008, 03:14 AM
I'll have to email her.

You are going to e mail Aero to Sheryl :shock: :wink:

Holly
04-14-2008, 04:24 AM
Is that not a good idea????? :P

souffle
04-14-2008, 04:36 AM
I'd stick with Aero-mail :lol: :D

Spuds Mum
04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
I'd stick with Aero-mail :lol: :D

ouch - bad pun!!!! :roll: :x

You crazy people you :P

Theodore
04-17-2008, 05:52 AM
So Kip Tapped Toe?

Sorry, I'll fetch my coat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spuds Mum
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Even more painful Theodore :? by this post alone I think you'll fit right in! :wink: :x

Theodore
04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Sorry, I couldn't resist :lol: :lol:

Spuds Mum
04-17-2008, 10:49 AM
don't worry, we love it! :x

souffle
04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
HeeHee :lol:
Since you have brought this up. Update on the toe. Kiptons toe is now absolutly fine and completely normal apart from a tiny bit of bruised blood inside the nail which will take time to grow out. He may even get his wheel back soon.
How is Aero Holly?

Theodore
04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm glad he's OK :D

chase
04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Glad Kiptons toe is ok :D Nearly as bad as Children, actually no nothing could be worse. :lol: :lol:

Theodore
04-18-2008, 09:23 AM
How right you are :lol: :lol: :lol: