PDA

View Full Version : fleece for the piggies, reasonable price?

Call me Alison
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
hi everyone

my 2 lovely piggies George & bungle there settling in well.

when i got them home they really seemed to enjoy snuggling my fleece dressing gown as much as i love them and want to give them my dressing gown, my mum would kill me lol

i've seen quite a few you tube vids where people put there piggies on fleece, i got them a couple of i think they were dog/cat fleece blankets from poundland.

i put them in the hutch in there sleeping area they seem to love, i could do with a bigger piece for them to put under there run ( it's my daughters old metal play pen but it works!!)

i was wondering if anybody knows where i can find fleece at a reasonable price?

would i be just as well to sew together some more of the fleeces i have?

thanks or your help xxx

Sandti
07-15-2012, 03:28 PM
You can get doggy fleeces in poundworld which you can use for them <3

They have lots of different colours :D <3 xx

fluffymunchkins
07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I'd reccommend looking for a local sewing/material shop :)
I got some great cheap rainbow fleece I used to make a guinea pig bed x

pinkneon
07-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Do you have a local fabric shop? Some of them will give away off cuts or bits that are from the end of a range. Most of them here also provide people with small samples - you could see if they'd give you any bits and then sew them all together :) that way you'd have a unique fleece blanket for your piggies!

Kissa
07-16-2012, 02:09 AM
I'd reccommend looking for a local sewing/material shop :)
I got some great cheap rainbow fleece I used to make a guinea pig bed x

Seconding this :) I went to a craft shop with a couple of friends recently and we just happened to be looking at the fabric section. They do tonnes of fleece for fairly cheap :)

kyrilliondaemon
07-16-2012, 03:40 AM
We got 1.5m by 1m pieces of fleece off ebay for £6 recently and there are some who sell it even cheaper on there :)

Call me Alison
07-16-2012, 04:43 AM
thanks everyone I'm going to have a look on eBay later!!

with the animals sleeping etc on the fleece what temp would you rec i wash it on?

i know not good for the environment but my daughter is so mucky i have to wash most of her stuff at 60 !

Mona's Humans
07-16-2012, 04:49 AM
to be honest, fleece never worked for me, i didn't put washing condition conditioner in the machine with it, it to help it be absorbent, and i spot cleaned twice daily, and i brushed it all before putting it in the washer and followed all the advice, but i still found fur clogging up the machine, and piggies wondering around with poops constantly stuck to their feet... :?

Having said that, so many people find fleece perfect, so i recon i was doing it wrong.... but i washed at 40

Call me Alison
07-16-2012, 05:32 AM
to be honest, fleece never worked for me, i didn't put washing condition conditioner in the machine with it, it to help it be absorbent, and i spot cleaned twice daily, and i brushed it all before putting it in the washer and followed all the advice, but i still found fur clogging up the machine, and piggies wondering around with poops constantly stuck to their feet... :?

Having said that, so many people find fleece perfect, so i recon i was doing it wrong.... but i washed at 40

when i changed the fleece today i thought how am i going to get the hay off this thing, in the end i got out the Dyson and hoovered it!

i keep the fleece in there sleeping area and finacard the other end and so far i haven't noticed any poop on there feet but i am wondering how i am going to keep the fleece clean without killing the machine?

xxx

Mona's Humans
07-16-2012, 06:01 AM
if you figure it out, let me know lol, cos i never did make it work...i tried megazorbing half the cage, and fleecing half, and that just got megazorb, and i'm weary of 'harder' beddings like finacard as one of my boys has regular impactions due to an injury before i got him, and as piggies drag their bums, i worry about hurting him more, or hurting the others, though i imagine it would be easier to get out of fleece than megazorb!

The dyson is a fab idea, - that may help your machine!

Call me Alison
07-16-2012, 06:59 AM
if you figure it out, let me know lol, cos i never did make it work...i tried megazorbing half the cage, and fleecing half, and that just got megazorb, and i'm weary of 'harder' beddings like finacard as one of my boys has regular impactions due to an injury before i got him, and as piggies drag their bums, i worry about hurting him more, or hurting the others, though i imagine it would be easier to get out of fleece than megazorb!

The dyson is a fab idea, - that may help your machine!

it's such a hard one with substrate, the piggies seem ok at the moment, i was thinking it may be a little hard for there feet.

megazorb makes me itch, shavings make me sneeze.

I'm not sure if i can use the hemp from rat rations?

if anybody could advise me with what bedding you think would be best with the piggies could you please let me know! xxx

PolkaDot*Skye
07-16-2012, 08:11 AM
do you have an ikea near you at all?
I get my fleece blankets from there, they are big enough to cover a single bed and cost around £2.50. They are the polar type that dont fray and come in a variety of colours

I use them for everything i.e. dogs blankets, pygmy hog liners and when making hammocks for the ham

Call me Alison
07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
do you have an ikea near you at all?
I get my fleece blankets from there, they are big enough to cover a single bed and cost around £2.50. They are the polar type that dont fray and come in a variety of colours

I use them for everything i.e. dogs blankets, pygmy hog liners and when making hammocks for the ham

unfortunately i don't live near an IKEA :( i think the nearest one to me is Birmingham!

i could really do with going as i buy a lot of ikea stuff on ebay xxx

mangoandmimi
07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
When our pigs were on fleece i just picked them up from primark, they were colourful and fairly cheap.
Unfortunately, our 2 are longhaired fuzzfaces so would clog up the washing machine, so they're back on finacard. Wish they could be on fleece, as cardboard is so dull, and the pigs do like colour. Ahh well.

Call me Alison
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
When our pigs were on fleece i just picked them up from primark, they were colourful and fairly cheap.
Unfortunately, our 2 are longhaired fuzzfaces so would clog up the washing machine, so they're back on finacard. Wish they could be on fleece, as cardboard is so dull, and the pigs do like colour. Ahh well.

i never thought of primark and my dad is security there lol

i'll def have a look in there ;)

i love your piggies, they have the coolest hair cuts ever!! xx