PDA

View Full Version : piggy help :)

Call me Alison
07-14-2012, 09:58 AM
hi everyone,

i went and fetched the piggies today ( pics on my previous thread) not sure what to name them yet i was thinking maybe George & bungle??

i've had quite a few piggies when i was younger, i've been doing some research online about what fruit/ veggies to give them but there seems to be so much contradicting advice I'm not sure what to believe.

it seems to of changed so much since i had piggies as a child

what fruit veg are safe?

how much of each should i feed them fresh veg a day?

i would really appreciate your help!

thank you xxxx

Vicki S
07-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Hey

Guinea pigs should never have iceberg lettuce as gives them digestion problems and citrus foods should be limited never lemons and limes though and how often to give them veg is upto yourself but my piggies get it every day they love cucumber and water melon, peppers and carrot is great for there teeth and you don't need a lawn mower when you have guinea pigs they love grass and dandelion leaves

As you know they need vitamin C as they can't make there own like us you can get a water supplement for them that you just put in there drinking bottle

Salt lick is optional as some of mine love it and the others hate it Timothy hay they love that to for eating and sleeping on they do have a good go at toilet roll tubes too.

And a run round your room is never a bad thing mine are like speedy gons Alice lol

If I've missed anything or you have any questions don't be afraid to ask I will try and help my best :)

P.s I love the names :D

Lougarry
07-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Here's a safe food list which might be useful:
What Can I Feed My Guinea Pig ~ A Guinea Pig Safe Food List (http://www.happycavy.com/what-can-guinea-pigs-eat/)

ETA Just as important, here's the corresponding unsafe list:
http://www.happycavy.com/guinea-pig-dangerous-unsafe-foods/

Charley101
07-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I like the name George :) I like to choose names that sort of go together or start with the same letter when I have pairs. I currently have Luna and Lexie and Millie and Maisie and used to have Chip and Dale and Murray and Mint. I also had Bailey and Bramble the guinea pigs too :D

I would go for a name like Gerry (although I know you have a Chinese hams called Jerry) or something to go with George. I am too fussy :lol:

Off to have a look at the other thread now :D

Lougarry
07-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Bungle does go with George, Charley! You must be too young to remember 'Rainbow' :)
http://www.metrostarmedia.co.uk/publishing_brand_rainbow.html

Charley101
07-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Oh, I have never even heard of it! :lol:

(And, I'm 21. Is that too young? I have never even watched rainbow) :rolleyes:

Womblehands
07-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Up above the streets and houses,
Rainbow climbing high.
Everyone can see it climbling
Through the sky.

Paint the whole world with a rainbow!

I think those were the lyrics

Lougarry
07-14-2012, 11:22 AM
They were (possibly 'over the sky')! It finished in 1992
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_(TV_series)
Haven't seen the 'adult' fake episode for ages - off to scour You Tube.

sully
07-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Gawd,now i feel old!!!!!!!!!! :)

mangoandmimi
07-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Our pigs get whatever (safe) is in the fridge. Just been to tescos actually and as it was kind of late, they had reductions from £1.50 to 15p :D So the pigs get quite a lot of that as well as dandelions/milkthistle.
About a handful each daily is fine. That said, our pigs wouldn't be happy with a bucket of food each day! Very greedy little animals :mrgreen:

PolkaDot*Skye
07-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Love the names George and Bungle, (George was always my favourite on rainbow)

Oh, I have never even heard of it! :lol:

(And, I'm 21. Is that too young? I have never even watched rainbow) :rolleyes:

You must have just missed it Charley. I'm 26 and loved it but I that could of been down to having an older sister (reruns)

My mum's Guineas love carrots but turn there noses up at pepper, also they love cabbage and sprouts but they only get this as a treat as it causes gas. As soon as my mum starts chopping they go beserk

Call me Alison
07-14-2012, 12:06 PM
thank you everybody!!

i've been singing the rainbow theme tune while reading this whole thread!!

the lady that that i got the piggies from gave me a whole bag of carrot's, i think they have had them that much there sick of the sight of them!!

i'm def going to do what mangoandmimi do and see what veg the supermarket, veg shop have!! xxx

Lougarry
07-14-2012, 12:08 PM
When we had the piggies to stay they had whatever veg we were having. They loved celery best, and the only thing they turned their noses up at was parsnip.

ETA And like PolkaDot*Skye said, they went nuts squeaking and running around when they heard me start on dinner.

Sandti
07-14-2012, 01:33 PM
I remember rainbow! It just didn't twig when I heard the names XD

Mona's Humans
07-14-2012, 02:12 PM
glad you've got them, haven't been through links people have posted, but guinea lynx if it hasn't been linked is amazing for info! The only thing i'll say about celery is to make sure its chopped as the long stringy bits can cause piggies to choke. About half a cup full of veg a day is recommended, and as much hay as they will eat.... they are amazing pets :)

Lougarry
07-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I just ran a potato peeler down the stalks to remove the tough bits.

Mona's Humans
07-14-2012, 02:16 PM
i've never thought of that!!! thanks :D all that time chopping.... grrr lol

racinghamster
07-15-2012, 01:15 AM
This is a nice little site for piggy people and more importantly, it has the links to the Peter Gurney A to Z of piggy health on the Home page.

Guinea Pig Care and Health Information (http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/piggycare.html)

I would feed guinea pigs a good pelleted food (rather than a mix) as a suppliment to their hay and vegetables. Carrots are higher in sugar, so I wouldn`t cut down on those and go for the better dark green vegetables like broccoli, kale, cabbage, etc...