PDA

View Full Version : Princess Pippy Tiptoes (??.11.10 - 10.07.12)

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
07-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I woke up this morning intending to leave the house early to run some errands but decided to stay in bed a little longer to watch TV, because of this when I eventually did get up Pippy happened to be getting up too but something didn't seem right...
I took off the lid of her cake and began to stroke her gently whispering words of comfort, something just was not right at all. I picked her up and held her in my hands, she tried to sleep right where she sat her paws and chin hanging over the edge of my index finger and her tiny chest heaving in and out at around 2 breaths a second. I sat with her talking, telling her how much Mummy and Daddy love her and that it was ok to let go and sleep if that was what she needed. For 15 minutes I sat with her while the little voice in my head repeatedly said "This isn't the end yet, it's Pippy of course she will pull through. Give her an hour and she will be up and about again happy as Larry".........
At around 25 past 10 she tried to rise to her feet but not in a way that gave me hope, in a way that scared me a she looked like one of those bendy legged wooden toys that you push a button underneath to make 'dance'. She wobbled for a second, fell over and then panics to get back on her feet falling over again and again as she began to fit in my arms. There was a rancid smell coming from her as she brought up bile and voided her blader. Finally in one finally heave she collapsed in my hand and after another minute or so of twitching her heart stopped completely and she was gone.

__________________________________________________ _______

The day I brought home one of the most amazing creatures I would ever meet and a creature that would change my life and views forever. She was brought home nameless, we wanted to choose it based on her personality. All we knew about her was that she was around 4 months old and a 'Sapphire Winter White' as we were originally told. She looked exactly like my other SWW so I didn't think any different, in the end it wouldn't matter to me when we found out she was a hybrid, she was still stunning!
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196941_1886357966118_6819257_n.jpg

Three days later she was heard making a peculiar squeaking noise, a sort of chirp or... or a Pip! She was named Pippy because of that sound that we would come to recognise so well. A few more days passed before we decided on her full name, Tiptoes came about from her habit of walking around on her stretched out, spindly, hind legs and the title Princess was given because of her demanding nature. It was a name to describe her perfectly.
pJoB49533xU

As the weeks went on it was clear that something wasn't quite right with her, she was no longer the sweet, gentle hamster we had fallen in love with instead she had become territorial over everything in her cage and would shout and scream at those who dared to walk within a foot of her. You could no longer hold her because she would bite and hand to go near her and hold on for dear life, we soon became too scared to handle her as Pippy became more and more aggressive by the day and nothing we did seemed to help.
Signs of neurological damage became more apparent when she started to self mutilate, pulling out her fur and biting her flesh to the point of bleeding.
After seeking help it was confirmed that she suffered from severe neurological problems which could only be described as being similar to schizophrenia or severe bi-polar disorder. It was estimated that she would live only until 12-14 months old at the most. It was devastating news.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/281379_2218360465973_2662530_n.jpg

Worse news was to come when we found out she also had diabetes, this could shorten her life span even more and so to try and help her out as best we could her diet was changed to a healthier option. Amazingly the diet seemed to help more than her diabetes, her 'rage fits' as we called them seemed more dilute though she would still sink her teeth into you she would not scream just because you were standing by her cage or touching a toy of hers. Instead though a new problem arose, severe hair loss!
Some of it was due to her self mutilation but I still don't know if it was all due to that as she lost all of the fur on her chest and front legs for three months yet she never seemed to notice it. When it came back the second time it was put down to yet another genetic condition.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7202/6983110445_a4e942ddd8_z.jpg

In the time that had gone by she had already made herself a name as the notorious escape artist amongst my hams. Any opportunity she could find would lead to her sat in an obscure place in the room, it got to the point where I had to put down food, water and bedding at night so if she did escape she would have all she needed for the night. We thought no cage could ever hold Pippy... until we were offered a glass tank for her!

Things began to improve from this point, Pippy had already passed her first birthday and was as strong as ever, she could no longer escape at night and best of all over a time scale of 3-4 months she had gone from a vicious hamster who suffered from fits of aggression several times a day to a hamster who had a fit of aggression only once or twice a week. It was some kind of miracle and I have no idea what it was that caused her to start becoming a normal hamster again but it was the greatest gift we could ever be given even if the alternative was a bald belly! She was finally feeling peace instead of daily stress. So many people had talked about having her PTS because she would never get better but stubborn little Pippy showed them all!
z4nYwlDtT4g

When she reached 18 months old, which was long past the time she was estimated to live, it felt like nothing could stop her. She had made it through so much and had come out the other side as a different ham altogether. We could finally sit and cuddle with her, she could travel places and play in the garden without the need to worry about her stress levels. She could have a life at last and there was so much I wanted to do with her. I even planned to take her with me as company for the Bath show on July 21st. We finally had a proper bond.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/303626_4005153054671_1338648594_n.jpg

Then near the end of June this year she developed an eye infection, she wasn't the first of my hams to get it but for the first time a simple eye infection would lead to one of the biggest tragedies in the Bobtail home.
A few days of cleaning was usually all it took to clean up an eye infection but a few days in and I came home from work to find my baby girl huddled up in the corner of her tank her eye sealed shut, her ears back and her breathing heavy. I was terrified but reassured by the courage she had showed me throughout her life that she would be fine. The next morning she was rushed to the vets where they gave me the worst possible news... Pippy had a chest infection that had been caused by the eye infection and she had also lost 9g in the last 5 days. The combination of this and her current health problems meant that her immune system and tiny body would not be able to cope. We were told to make her as comfortable as possible. That was on Saturday 7th July.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/313985_4087495593183_698739022_n.jpg

With baytril, a high protein diet, heater pillows and all the love and cuddles she could ask for Pippy pulled through the next few days even showing signs of feeling a little better on Sunday and Monday night. When I put her to bed on Monday 9th July at around 12pm I had no idea it would be the very last time I said goodnight to Pippy.

__________________________________________________ _______

I don't think I could ever thank HC enough for the support you have all given Pippy, from those who remember the day I brought her home all the way to those who have only known her in her last days every single one of you has not only given her life so much more meaning but it has reminded us never to give up on her because no matter what Pippy was a soldier, a fighter, a stubborn little cow who wanted everything her way :lol:

Saying goodbye to her is horrible, but writing this memorial has reminded me of everything we went through together, from the worst time of the hatred we felt for each other at times and the frustration annoyance, but also all the laughs and smiles she brought me and how in her last days her stubbornness and pride no longer mattered and the scars on my hands from her bites no longer mattered. All that we wanted to do was cuddle and be there for each other to say goodbye. Pippy took me on an amazing journey, she taught me so much and opened my eyes to the world of hybrids and rodent farms. She inspired people to think before breeding and I am going to continue to raise awareness for preventing hybrid breeding because of Pippy and what she went through in her life. She changed my world.
This is the last photo I took of her only minutes before she passed along with a photo of her grave.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/528009_4131470212521_1373594017_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/600070_4131489853012_857714646_n.jpg

I think the best way to say goodbye to her now is to share with you some of her quirky side and the things she did to make me laugh. Pippy, you are a ridiculous little girl and I love you so much, I'm sad to say goodbye but happy you can be free at last. Take care up at the rainbow bridge and don't be too bossy young lady! :p
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/375682_3469651627470_1631270430_n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/292600_3469577585619_173128298_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215136_1914233862998_3130759_n.jpg

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
07-10-2012, 10:16 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/524338_3781088573199_842668295_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/181312_4087497833239_777180718_n.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/539743_4125837031695_1721313261_n.jpg

Charley101
07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
What a lovely tribute Erin. R.I.P little Pippy. Play well at the bridge xxxxx

Call me Alison
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm so sorry Erin she was a beautiful girl

play well pippy xxx

cathface
07-10-2012, 10:27 AM
oh no :( you've been so brave, both Erin and Pippy. I hope you're playing well over the other side, little one.

Silver
07-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Words are just not enough are they. Such a beautiful little girl who brought many people joy watching her little ways.

You play well at that bridge Pippy, & every now & then look down & blow your mummy & daddy a big kiss

Silver xxx

Hammymad
07-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Such a beautiful and moving tribute to a wonderful little girl,I read the tribute out to my OH and my mum,it was lovely Erin @--->>>----

Sleep tight Pippy xxxx

CoolcatNatNat44
07-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Sleep tight Pippy <3 x

Willowthehamster
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
RIP pippy you were so brave <3

Humphrey Furball
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
I was so sad to hear of Pippy's passing; she certainly had more that her share of troubles but despite it all she enjoyed a lovely life with you. She has been a big HC character; I will never forget her in the "Superham" series, she made me laugh so much. Goodbye Pippy, our loss is the rainbow bridge's gain. x

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/hamster-chat/18914-adventures-superham.html

GemmasMom
07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
R.I.P. little Princess Pippy!! I know from your tribute, that your mommy and daddy loved you very much!!!! xxxxxxx

LawaRawr
07-10-2012, 11:24 AM
im so sorry erin, sleep well pippy <3 x

mangoandmimi
07-10-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm so sorry, Pippy was a real inspiration to everyone. Lovely tribute, I know she'll be missed by everyone.
Sleep tight little lady xx

Lougarry
07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm so sorry, Erin. Pippy was a brave and special little girl. Run free, Pippy xxx

sakuraheart
07-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Aww Erin I'm so sorry for your loss, Pippy was a stunning girl.x
Play well at the bridge Pippy. Rest in Peace.x

AngelAmes
07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I am so sorry Erin
Your memorial is amazing and truly shows how amazing pippys life was with you. You knew exactly how to deal with and overcome many of her problems.
She couldn't have had a better home with any one else.
Even though she is now gone you will always be able to look back and smile at the memories
I hope you are ok
Xxx

Sandti
07-10-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :(
Until you meet again xx

Rosebud
07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm really sorry. A beautiful tribute

Mona's Humans
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Run free Pippy

Hamtastic
07-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I was afraid this was coming :( I'm so sorry for your loss, Erin - Pippy was so special! She reminds me much of my Lucy, both sapphire winter white hybrids with health problems that just don't slow them down no matter what. I'm glad you got to spend time with Pippy toward her end, when she was calmer. She probably realized at that point what a lucky girl she was and that she was perfectly safe in your hands. May you meet again some day!

Lynternette
07-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I am so very, very sorry Erin. Reading you memorial made me smile and cry. I think partly it reminded me of the joys of the dwarfies I had. Happy memories. xxx

I'm sure you are well now Pippy. Run and play well at the bridge. xxx

Charley101
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Reading you memorial made me smile and cry.

I had a tear in my eye too. She had such a heartbreaking but beautiful life xx

Flamestriker
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Oh no not little Pippy! No, no, no...

Erin I am so sorry. Pippy had a good life with much love from you and her daddy. She was not alone at the end. You were with her, as heartbreaking as it was. Pippy, you will be missed greatly. Play well at the bridge lil one.

Thinking of you, Erin and Dan x x

kyrilliondaemon
07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Pippy was incredibly special Erin. She was a heck of a little fighter, had some very unique problems but was a heck of a special, brave, and inspirational little girl. I never met her and she helped me a lot, inspired me too. Thanks to Pippy we've always known that things may not be as bad as they seem if there're problems with the hams. She helped so much with helping me take a step back and stay positive and I know I'll never, ever forget her.
She was also a brilliant little crusader against irresponsible breeding and with the help you gave her in that, she'll be making a huge difference to things like that for years to come I think.

Play well Pippy, you can finally stop the fights now girl. I'd wondered for a while if it would be you or our Skip who passed first, the two of you had both started to make me believe you'd go on forever. A strange little romance but the two of you had a surprising amount in common and when his time comes I know you'll help once more - your memories will make sure I know he has a friendly face over the bridge.

I've written a lot and I hope its all understood to mean the good things I've tried to write. Basically, you were and always will be an inspiration Pippy. You've helped me a lot and I know you'll help me again in future.
Thank you.

billybobbs
07-10-2012, 02:23 PM
She was such a lovely sweet girl. So sorry to hear she finally passed. She will be missed Erin but at least she was at home when she passed and not in the Vets surgery like you thought it would be. Thinking of you all xx

Ellie
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Erin

I'm so so sorry for your loss

Sleep tight beautiful girl.

I think she waited for you before passing, and really believe you would have been a great comfort to her xx

Womblehands
07-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Goodbye beautiful brave Pippy. I hope you have lots of pasta up in heaven. Look down over your mum and dad ok little one.

Poptart
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Sleep tight Pippy, you were such a brave and strong little girl, its time for you to rest. Im so sorry Erin xxx

Michelle89
07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Such a touching tribute Erin, she was absolutely gorgeous and I will miss seeing updates on her on your you tube ...she was a little character. She clearly waited for her mummy before going to the bridge. *Hugs* RIP little one xxx

gutterglitterxx
07-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Erin. This was a really beautiful post for a really beautiful little girl. It brought tears to my eyes to read all about her and what an amazing life she led.

Play well & sleep tight, Pippy. Send your mummy a rainbow. xxxxxx

Cupcake
07-10-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Erin :( you wrote such lovely words about Pippy <3
Rest in Peace Princess Pippy Tiptoes. xx

shazzy
07-11-2012, 05:36 AM
such a lovely memorial for an amazing little girl. Rest in peace Pippy xx

RachK
07-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Beautiful & wonderful tribute to a special little girl. RIP Pippy xxxx

StuCil
07-11-2012, 08:41 AM
I almost cried reading it, she's an amazing little one.

Sleep tight beautiful Pippy <3, RIP

Gizmodo ^_^
07-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm so sorry Erin :(
Pippy was such a lovely little girl

Sleep Well Pippy <33

jemmalg
07-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Erin :(

This is a beautiful tribute to a really beautiful little girl, brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure she knew how much she was loved.

Run free at the bridge Princess Pippy xxxx

ryanjc
07-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Sorry for your loss Erin, This is an amazing tribute and shows how strong both your's and Pippy's relationship is. She couldn't of gone to a better home! and i'm sure she knows that!.

RIP Pippy xx

Amethyst_ice
07-12-2012, 04:54 AM
I really do love her little tappy feet :) sorry ive been a while, not on forum much, her flowers are beautiful as was she xxxx

StarlightSerenity
07-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Pippy was such a lovely little lady, she'll certainly be missed, so sorry for your loss Erin xxx

fluffymunchkins
07-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Pippy :( She was such a strong girl, but it sounds like it was her time. Shes well and truly earned her peace.
Sleep tight Pippy x

Pompompoms
07-12-2012, 05:18 PM
A perfect tribute to your beautiful girl Erin, she was very much loved here, no one could fail to be touched by her story and her character. Four little paw prints forever on your heart till it's time to see her again. Play well beautiful little Pippy, look up The Cloud up there, I have a feeling you might get along ;) xxx

suga
07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Sleep well :-(

Iluvhamsters
07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Sorry for your loss :-(

Vicki S
07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Sorry about your loss R.I.P Pippy

jesselle
07-19-2012, 01:42 AM
what a beautiful post! brought tears to my eyes (and that's not good, i'm at work!)

RIP little pippy, what an amazing tale x

Jodzie04
07-22-2012, 10:26 AM
This is such a lovely post, you have been through so much together and she was so so lucky to have you as an owner.
What a beautiful little girl she was. R.I.P angel!

souffle
07-24-2012, 01:13 PM
So very sorry to hear of your loss. Pippy has been such a brave and wonderful hamster. I'm sure she waited to feel secure and safe in your arms to take her final steps to the bridge. She was much loved by many and we will always remember her here on HC.
Play well at the bridge Pippy x