PDA

View Full Version : Is this the sign of a poorly hamster?

Lolo
04-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I poorly think Harry is v. poorly he is just lying in his bed. I opened his cage and he jumped i put him in his play pen and he just lay there this is not like Harry :( he is soooooo active and cheeky........there is no diahorrea.
The only thing i can think ofis my daughter has a cold.
Its going to be a long night dont kmnow what to do no vets at night time

Matty Day
04-03-2008, 03:45 PM
was he active after a while as sometimes they need a small bit of time to fully wake up :x

Lolo
04-03-2008, 03:49 PM
no and i put him in the top bit of his cage and he just sat there had to lift him back to his bed

Bunsey
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
i'd say wait and see what he is like the next night. he might have just been feeling a little blue for one night. No runny poop is a good sign. is he getting old? if this happens a couple nights in a row, it might be worth a vet trip.

my vet tends to sigh at me if i go in with a hamster saying "he doesn't seem himself" or something. Mocha was thin as a rake and they said "well she's lively enough, she's fine". That's the problem, dimwits, she's too lively! she died.

Lolo
04-03-2008, 04:57 PM
could it be thenew cage? he is just a baby i only had him 2 weeks he just seems so lethargic and his ears are flat

Mollz
04-04-2008, 02:59 AM
This doesn't sound like particularly good behaviour, especially for a young hamster. You are obviously worried so I'd say that if he is like it again tonight then take him to the vets.

Saying this, my friend's hamster acted like this one night and was bright and back to normal the next - so he could be fine, hamsters must have off days sometimes just like we do!

Holly
04-04-2008, 03:06 AM
When did you move him to his new cage? I suppose he could just be very stressed and nervous after the excitement of coming home with you and moving cages twice.

Having said that I think you can tell if a hamster is really poorly - you don't need a lot of hamster experience, you just know - so if he's the same today and you are worried I'd say vets (which is a shame if he's just stressed 'cos that's going to stress him even more :? ).

Lolo
04-04-2008, 04:10 AM
I sat up with Harry for quite a ling time this morning kept giving him sips of water and keep a eye on him. Finally had to go to bed but couldn`t sleep.

got up and who was greeting me with button eyes sparkling and his usual smiley face.
Harry :D

And who is now full of the cold me! lol
What a scare i got last night he was so flat and lifeless.
You are right Holly you just know when they are not well but hopefully will be ok nowe, willbe keeping an eye on him today .
Thanks

Holly
04-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Phew! That's great news :)

They certainly know how to scare us, bless their little hearts :P

Mollz
04-04-2008, 07:53 AM
That is wonderful news - I'm really relieved for you!

souffle
04-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I think he was maybe just a lttle scared as he is still very ne and strange so he probably went into defensive mode and then they just sit very still. We call it 'pancake-ing.

Spuds Mum
04-04-2008, 03:04 PM
So glad to hear he seems better today, and so sorry to hear you dont! :?
Maybe he had just exhausted himself in his new cage and was having a 'duvet day' and just couldn't be bothered to play. Hope he continues to stay fit and well, and that you soon recover too :D

Lolo
04-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Sorry I did not get back have been laid up in bed for pasxt few days some sort of buggy thing i think. just to update on Harry he is sleeping lots and sneezing lots but better than he was eating and drinking well poor wee man i feel so bad as ihave bnot been able to give him much attention

Spuds Mum
04-09-2008, 10:08 AM
He may have caught a cold too Lolo, as long as he is kept warm and has lots of good food and water, he wont mind missing your attention for a couple of days Im sure.
If he seems to be getting raspy and having difficulty breathing, then I would pop him to the vets, bless him.

The sneezing on its own could possibly be an allergy - if it continues and doesnt seem to get better it may be an idea to change his cage litter/bedding to a different kind to see if that helps.

Get well soon Lolo and Harry :D

Lolo
04-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I use carefresh litter as Roly gets a bit sniffly sometimes. Used to have rats years ago and didnt use wood on them.so not a wood fan but thats just me. was thinking on ordering finacard as carefresh is quite dear. And Harry has a skirt (cant i call it a kilt? ) :P
He was out tonight (he asked) and fleeing around like a mad thing i reckon he is on the mend. :x weighed him too he is 225 grammes is that ok? btw, popped3 phots on my profile. Thanks for your helpI`m trying hard to be a good mum !

souffle
04-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Your hamsters are gorgeous Lolo. How old is Harry? 225g is a very heavy hamster especially for a male. Our adult females who are usually heaviest may reach that at their peak. I would recheck him on the scales! A youngster I would expect to be around 120 -150g with growing till about 8-9 months sometimes longer. Is he weeing and pooping OK? Drinking more than normal?

Lolo
04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
i will re weigh him tonight when he wakens up soufle he is a big boy and i have seen a difference in him since he came to us.he seems to poo and wee ok and is not over zelous with the water bottle.snoring at the moment.have to go and feed my weeones and see what they have been up to during the day.gizmo is so messy :lol:

sarahh
04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi Lolo he could have had like a virus type thing. My male Tochi was unwell for a couple of days sleeping more not eating, but was passing stools and urine ok, I gave him a small bit of lettace and it seemed to clear whatever it was he had. I hope your little one carried on on the mend.

Sarah x

Lolo
04-11-2008, 01:11 AM
i did weigh Harry again. You are right Soufleei got it wrong!! Heis 125 ish gramms or about 4 oz ish hard for me to weigh him. is that more normal? he seems like his old self now was on my head twice last night why does he love my hair? lol
my mum bought a digital camera yesterday and said i can have a shottie of it so will try and get some nice photos . must dash have a medical in Inverness today :cry:

souffle
04-11-2008, 04:16 AM
Whew Lolo he sounds much more like the weight of a normal young growing hamster there. I was all worried he was bloated up to be honest which was why I asked those questions!! Nothing to worry about though now he sounds perfectly normal. Looking forward to seeing the pics. (A wee shottie - I love it...how I wish I was home in Scotland sometimes :wink: )
Hope the medical goes well Lolol.

Spuds Mum
04-11-2008, 05:57 AM
Now come on you two, dont go talking your own private Scots language :wink: we had those problems before with Babyboos - can you remember her talking about giving hamsters a slap or something similar, when she meant stroking one?

Hope everything went well at the medical lolo, you have one very beautiful, and normal sized boy there! :x

souffle
04-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Its a clap SM not a slap :lol:
We always talk about clapping the dog or cat or hamster when we mean petting or stroking it.
Having a wee shot or shottie of something means having a go or turn with it eg 'can a have a shot of yer bike missus'
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The shot is usually pronounced as 'shoat' :lol:
I will be testing you at the show SM and will ask you for a 'shot of yer hamster so I can clap it' :lol:

Spuds Mum
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Oh ok, must try to remember that :x although Arti may get confused and think you are trying to shoot the hamster!! :wink:

Lolo
04-12-2008, 02:30 AM
claps are fine spuds mum its the clouts you have to watch out for (especially round the lug) ha ha you made me laugh today.
:P wish i could type more you know im not that broad a speaker i lived in kidderminster up till 3 years ago with a mad golfing brummie.

Spuds Mum
04-12-2008, 03:55 AM
ahhh now clouts round the lug I understand! (mmm must tell my therapist that!!! :wink: )

And I am sure I would understand perfectly - its just that there are certain 'terms' that seem very specific to certain areas! :x

(now whether you would understand me is another matter - I talk nonsense in every accent/dialect :oops: )