PDA

View Full Version : Hi, from Tany&Widget

Evildeadgirl
06-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi just got myself a little male Opal Campbell Russian Dwarf. I have named his Widget, after the cute lilttle Ewok from Star Wars. (even though im not a huge star wars fan lol)

He's been with me for about 1 week, 2 days. It's the first time i have ever owned a rodentesque creature before, although my brother had mice a couple years ago. So far everythings good, a really nice girl from SuperPet helped me out with all the set up. (they seem very knowledgeable about their animals and caring, alot diff from other pet stores.)

I got him the habitrail Playground and he seems to like it alot, plays in his little loft and flying saucer wheel. I evenhave him wanting to play in the daytime and sleep at night, which is nice for me lol.

Except he likes to bite! and box my fingers! no matter how slow and gentle i am! The only time i can take him out pleasantly is when he;s in his loft or in his food bowl.....I Hope to get my pictures developed tommorrow of him.

SnuggleHam
06-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Hello Evildeadgirl and Widget!

Welcome to Hamster Central, I’m very glad that you have joined us here and I cant wait to eventually see some pictures! I’m glad that everything is going well with widget :) he sounds like a nice little ham.. Well besides the biting. Perhaps you can try and put your hand down in the cage and let him come to you and climb onto it? At lest this works with my gerbils and my Syrian hamster.

I’m glad to hear that the people at petsmart were nice and seemed to know their stuff. The one near me...lol in Warwick Rhode Island probably doesn’t have the best reputation for rodents at the moment, but the employees are nice although could be more knowledgeable though. But their cages are kept clean and they are given things to do in their enclosures.

Well I look forward to seeing your participation here on the forum

Cute Avatar BTW

Emma
06-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Welcome to Hamster Central Tany and Widget!!!

Yay, another Campbells on the board! That's such a cute name :) do post pictures if you can, we don't see many opals over here in the UK and it's a lovely colour.

Campbells especially can be a little bitey, but it's early days if you're patient with your taming he may come around. My Alfie will always box my fingers if my hand is nearby, although I can scoop him up no problems and he'll also crawl into a loo roll tube pretty much on command to be taken out of his cage.....he was a rescue and he's come a long way, so I'm sure starting out with a youngster you'll be able to work through the boxing!!!

I'm sure the girl at the pet store seemed very knowledgable and caring......BUT she's made two basic mistakes-

1. Letting you buy a single dwarf hamster - they're a social species and really do much better in a pair or small group. Single dwarves actually have a reduced life expectancy. As a new owner you weren't to know that although you might have done some research first. The deed is done now but you'll know in future.

2. Sending you home with a cage that is far too small. A single unit of habitrail is far far too small in my opinion even for a dwarf - it can be remedied though by buying more (expensive!) add-on units.

I hope Widget continues to settle in well! If you have any questions about anything feel free :) and do post pictures if you can!

Just curious - what cage litter did the pet store girl send you home with?

Evildeadgirl
06-16-2005, 12:24 PM
SuperPet (canadian) not Petsmart.

Yeah i picked up my pictures today and guess what...they didnt turn out! :(

So im trying with my moms special camera that has micro settings...

I've tried laying my hand on the floor of the cage but he just sniffs and then bites....But once i get him out he's nice.

Habitrail too small? really? it seems really huge for him. Besides i cant afford a new cage or buddy for him right now. But ill prolly expand with tubes in the future, plus i just bought him a ball last night. (especially for dwarfs)

SnuggleHam
06-16-2005, 01:35 PM
My mistake!!

Yes Super Pet, Im originally from Canada Ontario myself and I must say that Super Pet is the best pet store I have ever set foot in, even though it is a franchise chain.. its still the best. At lest the one I lived near and all their different animal departments were all very educated.

Evildeadgirl
06-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeah their so great there, my friend got her chinchillas from there and made friends with one of the pet guys so he helped us out. Far best pet store i've ever been to. (and cleanest)