PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Cubes

StarlightSerenity
06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
I really want to make a fabric cube for Luna but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it :confused: and I can't seem to find a pattern anywhere. Has anyone here made one before? If so, could you point me in the directions of a pattern or tutorial?

I want to make one like this -

http://img0-llalt.etsystatic.com/000/0/6158120/il_570xN.282684596.jpg

Kissa
06-28-2012, 09:09 AM
There're a couple of links on the first post over here (http://forum.ferret.com/tm.aspx?m=17515) :) I don't know how good they are, though, but I thought I'd mention them.

Willow's mummy!
06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
That's really cute! And looks fairly easy to make ;-) I've not made one, nor do I have any links to plans for tutorials or patterns...

So, first I ask, how good are your sewing skills? The one in the photo looks as though it's lined and as though all the seams are concealed within the lining, whereas the ones made of fleece in the link Kissa put look to be single layers of fleece, tied or stitched into place. The single layer of fleece is easier but it won't give you the crisper look of the photo cube.

I'd do a demo with paper & sticky tape to get the sizes and dimensions, then use that as an outline for my patterns. I mean, instead of cutting exactly round the pattern as you do with commercial patterns, I'd lay the paper pattern on my paper and draw round it exactly, then cut out leaving an extra 1 cm or 5 mm as the sewing allowance.

Looking at the photo, it looks as though they've used a long strip for the sides & bottom, separate pieces for the front, top & back; with the hanging loops stitched into place between the top and sides.

I'd guess there's also a layer of quilt wadding between the outer & inner fabrics to give it more stability and make it cosier.

I'd also say it's been machine sewn as 2 pieces - the outer & wadding and the inner, then assembled as one piece with all the seams inside and the raw edges of the circle folded in between the 2 layers, then machined together to hold it all together. If I were making it, I'd probably do a bit of quilting to accentuate the shape.

I hope that helps!

StarlightSerenity
06-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys :D I'll have a look at those links in a moment.

My sewing skills are relatively good, I want it to be lined so it's nice and thick and I'm hoping to machine sew it all as I end up with bloody fingers whenever I hand sew >.< I haven't got any wadding, was thinking of just using an extra layer of fleece, did that with the hammock I made Luna, it's two layers of fleece, plus the cotton fabric on the outside. Will probably make the cube out of just fleece as the fabric I have is expensive.

Most of the stuff I make I tend to do a cardboard template first and draw around it using a water soluable (sp?) pen. Makes it soo much easier to do straight lines >.<

I think I'll do it the way you've said Willow - I've got a handbag making book that uses that method and it looks really simple. It will be the doorway that will give me problems I think, I'm useless at folding stuff, certainly in a circle. Will probably do a square entrace, with a bit of careful snipping at the corners. I won't be adding an hanging loops, it's such a faff getting them in the correct positions lol.

I've never done any quilting, would it have to be done by hand, after it's assembled?

gutterglitterxx
06-28-2012, 12:00 PM
I gave one like that to Jasmine the other day, which I ordered off Etsy. (I have ZERO sewing abilities!) Yesterday, during a hyper whirlwind, she destroyed it. She was sitting on top of it rather than inside and started chewing madly and the parts it was hung from. She completely chewed through one of them so it was hanging lopsided. I had to remove it! I was so bummed because it was really nice and a gorgeous color. :(

Lougarry
06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Here's a complete tutorial:
Cube Tutorial - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22031339@N06/sets/72157613821975753/detail/)

And for Gutterglitterxx (and me!) a no-sew alternative!:
http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewcube.htm

Kissa
06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Lougarry, that tutorial you linked to is awesome :D

Lougarry
06-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I thought it looked a good one, for anyone less dangerous with a sewing machine than me! :mad:

Willow's mummy!
06-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Lougarry, that tutorial you linked to is awesome :D

It is so lovely & clear!

Starlight Serenity, quilting is totally easy - you can machine it or hand sew, for hand sewing, get a needle & thread it, make a knot at the end so it doesn't pull through & do a line of running stitch & finish it off. I'd probably do a shape to match the opening, but you could do anything from an X on each side to a silhouette of a hamster!

Charley101
06-29-2012, 04:31 AM
I think I will try and make one of these!

Sandti
06-29-2012, 04:54 AM
I want to try making one of these too...Where to get fabric.....TO EBAY!

StarlightSerenity
06-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Ohhh brilliant!!! :D Thank you sooo much Lougarry, the tutorial is fantastic :D

Willow - love the idea of doing a ham silhouette!

StarlightSerenity
06-29-2012, 07:18 AM
I want to try making one of these too...Where to get fabric.....TO EBAY!

I bought loads of fabric off eBay, the fleece I've got was from there too. This is the stuff I bought - Plain Pale Pink Soft Antipil Polar Fleece Fabric | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plain-Pale-Pink-Soft-Antipil-Polar-Fleece-Fabric-/390301794683?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item5adfccc17b) The seller has loads of different colours and patterns :D

Sandti
06-29-2012, 07:36 AM
I have anti pilar fleece from teddies I made for my friends last christmas..I'll look for some patterned fabric but it seems to be kinda expensive :<

StarlightSerenity
06-29-2012, 07:39 AM
I bought a load of Tilda fabric last Christmas, was really expensive >.<

Fabric Rehab (http://fabricrehab.co.uk/) is a good place for fabric. She has some fantastic stock and the delivery is cheap.

HadleyHam
06-29-2012, 07:43 AM
I would definitely want to buy/make one of these for Hadley, but I'd be too worried that she would wee in/on it :?

StarlightSerenity
06-29-2012, 07:44 AM
You'd just wash it Hadley :) I was Luna's hammocks in with the rest of the laundry every few months or so, she doesn't wee on them but I think it's best to wash them every so often.

StarlightSerenity
07-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Well, finally got around to cutting the fabric last night. Not sure how thick to do it though - two or three layers. Not sure six layers, when I sew them together, will go through my sewing machine though >.<

Going to make Hobbes one too, he'll just have to embrace his feminine side with a pink one ;)

Lougarry
07-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Look forward to seeing the finished article :) If it is easy will you take orders??!

HadleyHam
07-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Is there a pattern or anything online? Also, can you sew it by hand?

StarlightSerenity
07-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Definately! I'd be happy to make them for people :D

I'll get it all sewn up tonight or tomorrow. Going to stick with two layers for the first one and see how it goes :D

There's a pattern linked to in the thread ;) I'll be using a machine but you could do it by hand, might take a while though!

kyrilliondaemon
07-12-2012, 07:45 AM
We started cutting fabric for one for Scamp last night :) I'll be doing it all by hand and it should work out fine :)

Will be doing it two layers of fleece thick, with dark green on the outside and light green inside. May take me a while but it should be fun and we think Scamp'll like it. It'll also be a lot cheaper which is great because I really can't justify buying one at their usual price... (Yet I could justify spending £10 on fabric lol)

Plus I have a space I want to put a long hammock with really long hanging-straps with the cube hanging underneath in Scamps cage and I'd have to make that myself or custom order it really.

LawaRawr
07-12-2012, 07:46 AM
can't wait to see what it looks like when its all finished :)

Charley101
07-12-2012, 07:52 AM
How much are they normal price, Sam? (haven't looked anywhere)

kyrilliondaemon
07-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Er... Depends, Fuzzbutts does them hamster size for £7.50 plus postage. Rat sized are from £8 and up on ECF at the moment (but are normally £13 or so).

Its not that much but its more than seems sensible when I fully expect Fwirl to demolish the one she'll get eventually. If I make them it keeps me occupied and it won't matter as much if they do get wrecked.

HorseyMandz
07-17-2012, 11:32 AM
gutterglitter- you could try and sew the thing back on, I don't think it would be too hard :)