PDA

View Full Version : Three Cream Litters

Bourne Valley Hams
03-31-2008, 04:07 AM
I had three cream ladies all due for mating at the same time. Now I obviously don't want 3 litters the same so what do I do??

Litter 1. Kava, LH BEC x Courage, LH BEC.
So, a nice litter of longhaired creams then.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/kavababes.jpg
Hello....where did those PEWs come from? And what about those two curly whiskered cream rexes? And why all the red eyes??
Hmmm, Kava's mum is Andrew Bryans REC Rosslyn, for whom he has been unable to supply the pedigree. Methinks Andrew strikes again!!

Litter 2. Pernod, LH BEC x Grappa, SH Cream Banded.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/pernodbabes.jpg
Some nice little bands there. Will they be LH or SH?

Litter 3. Angostura, SH BEC x Caffrey, SH Sable Roan.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/angosturababes.jpg
A nice mix of sable, sable roan, cream and cream roan - lovely jubbly!

So - three very similar girls and a nice cocktail of babies.

Tammy22
03-31-2008, 04:59 AM
Sue,

they are all beautiful!

The banded babies are great and look really good bands too!

(i think i have become obsessed with bands, lol!) :oops:

Tammy x

cloptonite
03-31-2008, 05:03 AM
Awww,

three really lovely litters!
Will you be keeping any?
I love the little sable roans and have to agree the bands look rather good :) The rexed one's are also very interesting,lucky you ,congratulations!!

Basia
03-31-2008, 05:31 AM
Aw Sue, what lovely babies, the little rexes are so cute. Have any of them taken you eye?

Yaffle
03-31-2008, 05:55 AM
Awww they're lovely. I really like the cream banded, the bands are near perfect on some of them!

Louby
03-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Ok...ok...twist my arm!!! When can I come and get them??? :D

Matty Day
03-31-2008, 06:16 AM
pews?

Bourne Valley Hams
03-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Woahhhh - don't all rush at once!!!

I breed to show so yes, I will probably keep about 6 of them, and maybe run on another 6 for 2 or 3 months before I decide what to keep long term.
I don't like to rush to decide. Sometimes I know which I want by the time they are 4 or 5 weeks old and am happy to let the others go, other times it takes a little longer. I never let any go until I am sure I don't want it (or rather need it!!).
Obviously there are one or two other breeders who help me out a lot who do have to have their pick. I think Chris Logsdail is going to want one of the PEWs for instance, and Andrew may want one of Rosslyn's grandchildren.

I'm sure we will be able to find someting for you Louise - but you will have to be patient - they are only two weeks old!!! :roll: :wink:

Bourne Valley Hams
03-31-2008, 06:22 AM
pews?
Pale Eared Whites Matty - we aren't allowed to call them Flesh eared anymore - political correctness!!

Louby
03-31-2008, 06:28 AM
Its ok Sue, I was only teasing! I think I would end up single if I arranged another hamster right now!

They are sooooo cute though....so get ready for a night raid!

Matty Day
03-31-2008, 06:39 AM
as i am against political correctness I am going to say nice flesh eared white’s and cream’s and cream banded‘s you got there :wink:

Maisydae
03-31-2008, 06:51 AM
So cute! If you are still looking for homes in about 10 weeks time I would love one! :) Cream banded are my favourite.

Bunsey
03-31-2008, 08:15 AM
omg! i want one of the bandeds and the rexes and also all of the others! the rexes look like crinkle cut chips! :lol:

i think as soon as you post which ones are up for grabs it will be a scrum!

*slips a rex and banded into pocket*

Catja
03-31-2008, 09:14 AM
what lovely hamsters, a great range of colours, quite interested in rexs, do they have curly fur all over or just whiskers?

agatecrystal
03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
That is a nice 'cocktail' of babies!
Some of those bands look really nice espescially the one on the very right of the picture. You've done very well there!
(p.s lovely pew's!)

Holly
03-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Awww lovely babies, Sue! I'd definitely be joining the scrum for one of them but for the two litters (both with Creams in them) due here at the weekend.

Some of those bands look to be superb and I recognise the name Rosslyn (she's my Rolo's granny :wink: )

Bourne Valley Hams
03-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Some of those bands look to be superb and I recognise the name Rosslyn (she's my Rolo's granny :wink: )

You'd best be prepared for some surprises in any litters he sires then!! :lol:

Bourne Valley Hams
03-31-2008, 10:43 AM
what lovely hamsters, a great range of colours, quite interested in rexs, do they have curly fur all over or just whiskers?

At this age their fur looks like its been scrunch dried - but it will always be rather wavy.

Holly
03-31-2008, 10:45 AM

You'd best be prepared for some surprises in any litters he sires then!! :lol:

That sounds interesting! Funnily enough I'd just started to think I might mate him at some point (he's 8 months old and LH Satin Cream who is just now reaching his best, I think). So Rex's are a possibility - do you know what else Rosslyn's descendants have thrown out by any chance? :wink:

Moosley
03-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Hmmmm. It would be sooo nice to have a beautiful BEC my my Mr "amazing" Squishy :lol:

Only I would like him to kindly prove to me that he isnt completely infertile and... irritating first. I still dont have my BV ham!! Though I did nearly walk away with that sable male despite not needing any males :roll:

Matty Day
03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
im going to have to be careful to as im going to have one of her ancestors to :x

my first litter might be a real mixed bag :x

Spuds Mum
03-31-2008, 11:55 AM
REC REC REC.....must not ask for a REC! :oops: But I love them so much, and by the way...

....was this Rossalyn a LH BEC Rex? Just my LH satin BEC Carrington ham has a grandmother of this name with unknown parentage on the ped whose mother was a Bourne Valley Ham born on 11.02.07.
On my ped - Rossalyn is described as a rex. Dont know if that helps explain one thing? (oops just seen Julies post above - mine and Julie's are brothers so that explains something - although does she get described as rex in your ped Julie?)

PS - bet that banded on the far right is going nowhere huh?
:wink:

we have had no surprises by the way with Dubaku's litters so far! But I know that Julie would love the surprise of RECs wouldnt you Julie :wink:

Bourne Valley Hams
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
REC REC REC.....must not ask for a REC! :oops: But I love them so much, and by the way...

....was this Rossalyn a LH BEC Rex? Just my LH satin BEC Carrington ham has a grandmother of this name with unknown parentage on the ped whose mother was a Bourne Valley Ham born on 11.02.07.
On my ped - Rossalyn is described as a rex. Dont know if that helps explain one thing? (oops just seen Julies post above - mine and Julie's are brothers so that explains something - although does she get described as rex in your ped Julie?)

PS - bet that banded on the far right is going nowhere huh?
:wink:

we have had no surprises by the way with Dubaku's litters so far! But I know that Julie would love the surprise of RECs wouldnt you Julie :wink:

Ahh, could be a different hammy. This is Rosslyn (no a) a LH REC (not rex) who belongs to Andrew. She visited me for a 'holiday' and Kava was the result!!

Mollz
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Oooh, they're all so lovely Sue! How do you ever decide which to keep out of them all, especially when they are all so pretty and different.

It's lovely to see your litters though - make sure to keep showing us piccies :D

Bunsey
03-31-2008, 12:12 PM
i guess it's a lot easier with patterns cos you can choose the best pattern, like that little right-hand banded. I'm not very good at knowing what's a good show roan though, so i'll have to get some practice at that

Spuds Mum
03-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Ahh, could be a different hammy. This is Rosslyn (no a) a LH REC (not rex) who belongs to Andrew. She visited me for a 'holiday' and Kava was the result!!

Ahhh, ok, but did you have a litter from a Rossalyn and Benedictine then? My pedigree shows that Hawthorn (Dubaku's Mum) was a Bourne Valley ham now owned by Sheryl, so I just assumed that this was the Rosslyn/Rossalyn that was borrowed from Andrew and that the spelling was just out?

Mollz
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
I am so tempted by these, and I mean really tempted! I had said that we wouldn't get a male BEC (supposedly for mum) for a while - but hey I have 2 spare gabber rex cages :D

Bourne Valley Hams
03-31-2008, 02:19 PM
[quote="Bourne Valley Hams":3p3q6bl6]

Ahhh, ok, but did you have a litter from a Rossalyn and Benedictine then? My pedigree shows that Hawthorn (Dubaku's Mum) was a Bourne Valley ham now owned by Sheryl, so I just assumed that this was the Rosslyn/Rossalyn that was borrowed from Andrew and that the spelling was just out?[/quote:3p3q6bl6]

Hmm, maybe it is the same one then as Benedictine is mine and is Kava's dad. I must check on my pedigree records (on the other computer.) I had a couple of Andrews girls here at the same time and I didn't think Rosslyn was the rex one. Maybe though - I guess that would explain my little woolly boys.

Mollz Mum
03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
I love all of these and would like one of each type!! But I guess I should be sensible and just have one. I've pm'd you Sue - I feel my first hammy coming on :lol:

Spuds Mum
03-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Yay Mollz Mum - I dont blame you - though how you would choose just one of these beauties goodness only knows! :D

Basia
04-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Sue, when you are choosing which ones to run on are you choosing on type or colour or both? Can you tell if they will be a good colour or is that why you run them on?
I seem to be able to spot the 'chunky' ones in my litters but the colours at 5 weeks are nothing like the finished adult.

Bourne Valley Hams
04-01-2008, 01:05 AM
You can't always tell at 5 weeks Gill, that's why they sometimes need running on for a while.

Basia
04-01-2008, 06:17 AM
You can't always tell at 5 weeks Gill, that's why they sometimes need running on for a while.

Hmmm, Well as Bunsey doesn't want a girl now I may run 2 female creams and a sable & cream male on then and see how they turn out. :wink:

Bunsey
04-01-2008, 06:33 AM
i haven't quite decided if i want a boy or girl. i have to work out dates and i'll decide by later today. it's so confusing! :oops:

decided: dates are ok and we can have the girl :D

sarahh
04-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Awww they are so cute.

Sarah x

Holly
04-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Hmmm, Well as Bunsey doesn't want a girl now I may run 2 female creams and a sable & cream male on then and see how they turn out. :wink:

I think that's a good idea, Gill - I'm thinking I'll maybe 'run on" a couple of extra babies from my litters (if there are enough to do that as I do have a few pre-booked). Most of my homes are "pet" homes and the people having them (except Matty, Will and me) aren't bothered about getting the best show hamster, they just want a healthy cute and friendly one (obviously if anyone wants one to show that's a different matter :wink: ).

It's not always easy to tell which are the "best" - I think I gave away a very good show prospect from my last litter, I saw her recently and she's huge, blunt faced and very dark for a Cream, typical eh :roll: (though she does have a lovely home where she is doted on and I guess that's the main thing!).

You can't have many left to home now, Gill? 8)

Mollz Mum
04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Sue.
Just wondered if you had any updated pictures of these lovely babies?
From one excited, expectant mummy x :D

Bourne Valley Hams
04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Sue.
Just wondered if you had any updated pictures of these lovely babies?
From one excited, expectant mummy x :D

I will see what I can do Emma! :lol:

Bunsey
04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
i'd love to see those too! :D

Spuds Mum
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Whereas I will be keeping my eyes firmly closed *must remember I'm not doing creams at the moment* repeat to myself.... :D

Mollz
04-11-2008, 06:21 AM
i'd love to see those too! :D

Are you thinking of having one too then? No pinching mum's baby though!!! :D :wink:

Holly
04-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Well I definitely don't have room for one - but I'd love to see them anyway!

agatecrystal
04-11-2008, 10:40 AM
You must start posting piccies soon!

Bunsey
04-11-2008, 10:58 AM
no, definately not having one, but love to see pics! :P

Bourne Valley Hams
04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Grrr -how come you lot can take such lovely pictures and I just get a cream blur running out of the picture?

I think I'd better go and try again - the pics I have just taken are hopeless.

agatecrystal
04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I aint suprised lol bet they never stay still!

Mollz
04-11-2008, 12:00 PM
I find I get better pictures when I take them from further away and then crop the pictures afterwards. I crop when looking at the file in "My Pictures" in the start menu and it resizes it for me to a larger size again without going blury - perfect!
Thank you for getting these pictures for mum (and me), we really appreciate it!

Spuds Mum
04-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Sorry to digress from the thread, but Molly, Arti told me to mention an image software that is available online for free - its Adobe photoshop, but not a full version that you can use online.

It may be worth a try - in some of Arti's 'techy' magazines (yawn) it got a very good write up!

https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html

Mollz
04-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Sorry to digress from the thread, but Molly, Arti told me to mention an image software that is available online for free - its Adobe photoshop, but not a full version that you can use online.

It may be worth a try - in some of Arti's 'techy' magazines (yawn) it got a very good write up!

https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html

Oooh thank you, I could really do with something to edit images in. Do you think it could help with your pics Sue?
Tell Arti thanks from me too (and thank him again for doing my picture for my T-shirt :D ).

Bourne Valley Hams
04-11-2008, 01:20 PM
OK, I've done my best for now but now I've lost patience!!

Kava's babes:-
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/STE_0121.jpg
A REC and a PEC
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/STB_0115.jpg
Two woolly little rexes and a REC.

Pernod's babes:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/STC_0126.jpg
Banded on the right is going nowhere!!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/STB_0125.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/STB_0123.jpg
All the bandeds are short haired like dad and all the non bandeds are longhaired like mum - how weird is that?

Angostura's babes:-
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/STD_0113.jpg
I will have to try again with these - pics were a disaster!!

And finally - a litter we talked about but I haven't shown before.
Glacier, SH BE White x Icarus, LH Silver Grey:-
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/STA_0127.jpg
BE Whites, silver greys and LBJs

Mollz Mum
04-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Oh Sue, they are all so beautiful!
So which of them could be mine? Are the rexes BEC? How well do you find they show?

souffle
04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
OMG I love those little wooly ones. They are just lovely. That is a nice band on the cream too. Pity we lived so far away :?

Bourne Valley Hams
04-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh Sue, they are all so beautiful!
So which of them could be mine?

Well, if you want a self colour BEC boy then there are 3 to choose from.
The LH boy is in the bottom picture of Pernod's babes - he is a little smaller than the others but growing fast.
The 2 shorthaireds in Angosturas litter will need further attempts to photograph!! It might be one of them in that pic but who knows!!
I am pretty sure all of Kava's litter are red eyed although some of them seem have darker ears and eyes than the others now, so I could be wrong!!

Basia
04-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Aw Sue, they are all so lovely. I can't get over the Rexes, I have never seen a proper picture of them before, they are like texel guinea pigs - gorgeous.
:P

Mollz
04-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Wow, they are lovely. I think the rexes are beautiful :D - shame they aren't BEC (although I have heard they are hard to show - is that true?).

I love the LH BEC boy though, and after seeing mum's reaction to him (once she knew that he could be hers, she sat looking at him for about 5 minutes!!) I know that she does too.

Thank you for the pictures :)

Holly
04-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh they are just beautiful! I can't get over the rexes either, what incredible coats :shock:

Bourne Valley Hams
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Wow, they are lovely. I think the rexes are beautiful :D - shame they aren't BEC (although I have heard they are hard to show - is that true?).

I love the LH BEC boy though, and after seeing mum's reaction to him (once she knew that he could be hers, she sat looking at him for about 5 minutes!!) I know that she does too.

Rexes tend to have a thinner coat so can look quite patchy quite soon - and of course the boys always look a mess!! (and my 2 are both boys) Occasionally you can get eye problems as some can develop ingrowing eyelashes. They are also often a little smaller, though these 2 seem quite chunky now!
These 2 are really seriously rexy - really tightly curled whiskers and woolly fur.

Spuds Mum
04-11-2008, 02:25 PM
darn it - I opened my eyes - and what did I see?? RECs - my favourite creams! :x

And that band is certainly living up to the early photos isnt it Sue?

I read somewhere that bands chromosome and hair length chromosomes show linkage (could be the river rd site I think) and what you describe seems to confirm it possibly?

Gosh you are a bad woman Sue - showing me those silver greys too - with the cute little LBJs. Does the BE white have an undercoat at all? Im just thinking of something described by Pete and Chris in hamsterlopaedia?

Anyway they are all wonderful - and I would love to take them all (especially that banded *evil laugh*) :x

Mollz
04-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Rexes tend to have a thinner coat so can look quite patchy quite soon - and of course the boys always look a mess!! (and my 2 are both boys) Occasionally you can get eye problems as some can develop ingrowing eyelashes. They are also often a little smaller, though these 2 seem quite chunky now!
These 2 are really seriously rexy - really tightly curled whiskers and woolly fur.

Will you be bringing them to Monmouth? I'd love to see them in the flesh!

souffle
04-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Awwww darn it. I was just about to PM you to see if th rexes were female as Pophammy is besotted. Let us know if you get a female BE cream rex will you in the near future. :lol:

Bourne Valley Hams
04-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, I don't know. I have just been out to give the babes their weetabix and now I'm doubting myself about the red eyed creams. Some of them are undoubtedly red eyed - but one of the rexes and a couple of others are starting to look black eyed. I will have to have a look in daylight tomorrow. I was sure they were all red eyed to start with!!

Bourne Valley Hams
04-11-2008, 02:57 PM
darn it - I opened my eyes - and what did I see?? RECs - my favourite creams! :x

And that band is certainly living up to the early photos isnt it Sue?

I read somewhere that bands chromosome and hair length chromosomes show linkage (could be the river rd site I think) and what you describe seems to confirm it possibly?

Gosh you are a bad woman Sue - showing me those silver greys too - with the cute little LBJs. Does the BE white have an undercoat at all? Im just thinking of something described by Pete and Chris in hamsterlopaedia?

Anyway they are all wonderful - and I would love to take them all (especially that banded *evil laugh*) :x

That's interesting about the pattern and hair length thing - it does seem too much of a coincidence.
The silvers are not the best silvers from a show point of view - I think they may brown quickly, maybe a connection with the LBJ gene? The whites have no undercoat - white through and through - quite pale ears too. ....Scuttles off to see what Hamsterlopaedia says....

Spuds Mum
04-11-2008, 03:14 PM
It was a description of a 'silver agouti' but doesnt say anything about agouti markings! coming about from the Sg gene. I just wondered - you know, as you may have guessed - I dont like the unknown :oops: and these Andrew Bryan Sg litters are fascinating to me! Like a mystery Id love to solve :oops:

Bunsey
04-11-2008, 08:02 PM
gorgeous! i love the rexes too! they look more of a mink colour than cream to me, but could just be the photo/my computer screen.

Mollz
04-12-2008, 01:53 AM
Well, I don't know. I have just been out to give the babes their weetabix and now I'm doubting myself about the red eyed creams. Some of them are undoubtedly red eyed - but one of the rexes and a couple of others are starting to look black eyed. I will have to have a look in daylight tomorrow. I was sure they were all red eyed to start with!!

I did think I saw darker ear on some, but thought it must have been my eyes! :x :x
I am so in love with those rexes :P

I just can't believe how beautiful all of the babies are!

Bourne Valley Hams
04-12-2008, 08:39 AM
I have had a good look in daylight today and have come to the conclusion that these two have been having me on. They are not red eyed after all but black eyed.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/h016.jpg
Just so you can compare, here are the two rexes together - red eyed on left, black eyed on right.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/h018.jpg
And here are the non rexes.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/h020.jpg
So that throws another one into the mix for Mollz mum to think about (and a fine looking chap he is too!)

I have also managed to get some slightly better pics of Angostura's shorthairs.
Here, especially for Mollz mum, are the two SH BEC boys.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/h022.jpg
A cream and a cream roan -
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/h023.jpg
And a sable and sable roan -
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/h026.jpg

Mollz Mum
04-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Ooh, how to choose. Now, i have had two gabber's delivered this week......and Molly had two for her birthday :wink: I could organise that new set of shelves tomorrow......I guess I am going to have to be very restrained and show self control (am I that strong?) :? It's a good job that I don't like hamsters :lol:

Holly
04-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Do the two Rex boys have homes, Sue? (asks a woman with 42 hamsters currently residing in her house :oops: ).

Bourne Valley Hams
04-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Do the two Rex boys have homes, Sue? (asks a woman with 42 hamsters currently residing in her house :oops: ).
I am keeping one - the red eyed I think. The black eyed is not going anywhere until Mollz mum makes her mind up next Saturday.

Holly
04-12-2008, 10:09 AM
It's the Red-Eyed that I like - he is so beautiful! Probably a good thing for me you are keeping him Sue :wink:

Not that The Black-Eyed isn't beautiful too (here's hoping Mollz's mum has him really - no temptation for me then!).

Bunsey
04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
the black eye rex is the one i like, but i might be murdered if i said i was having another ham... i've already got 3 booked! :lol:

souffle
04-12-2008, 11:42 AM
We like the black eyed too Bunsey :wink:

Bunsey
04-12-2008, 12:12 PM
i hope someone on here has him as i'd love to see him grow up and see what his coat looks like as he gets older :D

cloptonite
04-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Well I have to say that the little rexes are very adorable, as are all of them!!
But, I'm finding that little sable to be absolutely stunning. I have read that they should be as dark as possible, but I've never actually seen a pic of one that looks almost black ,like that one does.Of course, I've never seen one in a petshop like that,and my two are both more chocolatey than anything else! If I was looking for another hamster ,and I lived near you, and you were looking to find a home for him, I'd HAVE him,lol.............................Do you know I like sables? :oops:

Bunsey
04-12-2008, 12:49 PM
sables lighten really quickly unfortunately. Oscar is loads lighter than when we had him in December.

agatecrystal
04-12-2008, 01:01 PM
They are absoloutely gorgeous. You've done well!

Basia
04-12-2008, 03:47 PM
They are all such beautiful babies Sue, I especially like that non-rex on the left of the 3rd picture. The rexes are amazing, I have never seen a hamster like them. I also like the SH!
How are you ever going to choose Emma?

Mollz Mum
04-13-2008, 12:29 AM
I just don't know. I actually dreamt about them last night!!
That's what comes of staying on the forum until late in to the evening (and keeping going back to the pictures). I can't believe I'm so excited.
I also thought I would be the only mad one up so early and on the forum on a Sunday - but hey, I didn't account for all you other addicts out there :wink: :lol:

Holly
04-13-2008, 01:19 AM
I just don't know. I actually dreamt about them last night!!
That's what comes of staying on the forum until late in to the evening (and keeping going back to the pictures). I can't believe I'm so excited.
I also thought I would be the only mad one up so early and on the forum on a Sunday - but hey, I didn't account for all you other addicts out there :wink: :lol:

I regularly dream about hamsters (and David Tennant :wink: ), I dreamt about my babies on Friday night! Wish we could be there helping you choose, I'd love to see these guys.

Mollz Mum
04-13-2008, 02:40 AM
I know, I wish you were all going to be there too!
Maybe Gill can help me choose (along with Sue and Molly) and we'll have to tell you all about it after.
If he settles well, perhaps I'll bring him to Gatcombe for everyone to see. And I'm sure you'll all be seeing lots of pictures too!

Basia
04-13-2008, 03:54 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing which one you decide on now. I suppose when you pick them up and meet them it will help.
I don't know how you pick a possible show hamster, I'm sure Sue will be a big help as she has done it many, many times. All the babies look so lovely you must be really excited.

I have chosen 3 out of my own litter so time will tell if I am looking for the right things :?

Gust0o
04-13-2008, 04:16 AM
I don't know how you pick a possible show hamster

You're in good company, Gill, as I haven't the foggiest idea either! :oops:

Mollz
04-13-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't know how you pick a possible show hamster

You're in good company, Gill, as I haven't the foggiest idea either! :oops:

Me neither! Although now, I am beginning to think that I might just have to go with what I want (and how cute they are), rather than just how well they show. For example: Gizmo doesn't do particularly well (and is non-standard) but he has the sweetest nature and the cutest face (even with a large bar rub :twisted: ) and I wouldn't swap him for the best show hamster in the world!!!! Saying that - I do enjoy showing and it was lovely when Amelie did so well, so if I have lovely, cute hamsters who also do well in shows then it is a brilliant extra :D

Wonder if I can convince mum into having one of the rexes? :D I really want one!!!!!

Matty Day
04-13-2008, 10:46 AM
im of the same opinoin altoughth my chinese are from a very good line i would rather have a happy ham than an unhappy ham althougth i would even give a rescue a go in a show if he or she had no problems :x

Mollz Mum
04-13-2008, 11:24 AM
No, I haven't got a clue either - I'm newer at all this than the rest of you!
Although it would be lovely to have a decent show-er, (which I know is very possible with Sue), it's just as important to me to have a very handleable friendly one (again, guaranteed with Sue), so whichever one I am lucky enough to bring home, I'm already on to a winner!
(we'll have to discuss the rex Molly - I love his LH brother!)
5 more days and counting.........

Mollz Mum
04-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Only two days to go.

I can't believe it - I get two weeks off and spend my time wishing it away so that I can get my baby. :lol: :)

Spuds Mum
04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
aww bad timing Emma - you should have changed the school holidays so you picked up your ham(s) :wink: at the start of a two week break! :D Can't wait for introductions though - and if a rex wings its way to you, I may be begging a blind date for one of my girls! :D

Mollz
04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
aww bad timing Emma - you should have changed the school holidays so you picked up your ham(s) :wink: at the start of a two week break! :D Can't wait for introductions though - and if a rex wings its way to you, I may be begging a blind date for one of my girls! :D

Yes - the school holidays were very inconveniently timed (except for the fact that they fitted around my birthday!). What made you think that "ham" needed an "s" on it? :wink:

You know that you are perfectly welcome to borrow the rex boy (if we get him :wink: - is it bad news if I have been thinking of names? :oops: )

Spuds Mum
04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
You know that you are perfectly welcome to borrow the rex boy (if we get him :wink: - is it bad news if I have been thinking of names? :oops: )

no - its great news lol :x and is it bad news if I have already been thinking that it would make a great boyfriend for one of the pups if BB does have a litter? :oops: :roll:

Mollz
04-17-2008, 02:35 PM

no - its great news lol :x and is it bad news if I have already been thinking that it would make a great boyfriend for one of the pups if BB does have a litter? :oops: :roll:

Well it is certainly planning ahead! Do you think that BB's babies will carry rex then? I thought you weren't doing creams any more? :wink:

Spuds Mum
04-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Well it is certainly planning ahead! Do you think that BB's babies will carry rex then? I thought you weren't doing creams any more? :wink:

Dub's Mum is from the same litter as Kava - and BB has some rex background - so it is an outside possibility I guess. But no, you're right, I'm not doing creams anymore, so we ought to forget it...
......ppphhhht :wink:

Mollz
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Dub's Mum is from the same litter as Kava - and BB has some rex background - so it is an outside possibility I guess. But no, you're right, I'm not doing creams anymore, so we ought to forget it...
......ppphhhht :wink:

No, believe me, I don't want to talk you out of it (not that I think you will stop doing creams anyway :wink: ) :D

I have to say that I have fallen head over heals in love with rexes (well those two really!) and think that it is fairly probable that we will be coming home with him - the more I talk about him, the more mum seems to like him too, but even if she chooses another I do have several rexes (cages - not hamsters!) waiting for new occupants.....

Spuds Mum
04-17-2008, 02:47 PM
guess you will have to call him Rex, then he will be
Rex the rex in his rex! :roll:
At least it will be easy to remember lol :x

Mollz
04-17-2008, 02:52 PM
guess you will have to call him Rex, then he will be
Rex the rex in his rex! :roll:
At least it will be easy to remember lol :x

Come on Teresa - it's too late at night to start confusing me with riddles :x (I'll be missing these late night chats once school starts again!!!)

He can't be rex anyway - the next hamster's name has to begin with D :wink: (and I already have a boy's name lined up that I love!)

PKK
04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
All the bandeds are short haired like dad and all the non bandeds are longhaired like mum - how weird is that?

Not weird at all since Banded and Long Hair are linked at a ratio of 9:1. Take a look here for a more in depth explanation: http://purplekatkritters.tripod.com/all/linked.html
BTW what is a PEC?

Basia
04-18-2008, 12:56 AM
That is really interesting. I wish I had a better understanding of genetics, it doesn't seem to stay in my brain, I have to keep looking things up.
I have a LH Banded, I will tell her she was a 1 in 9 shot.

Bourne Valley Hams
04-18-2008, 01:04 AM

Not weird at all since Banded and Long Hair are linked at a ratio of 9:1. Take a look here for a more in depth explanation: http://purplekatkritters.tripod.com/all/linked.html
BTW what is a PEC?

Fascinating - sadly all these genetics just seem to scramble my brain!!! I just don't have the patience to sit and concentrate and let it all sink in properly.
Not sure where you got PEC from but PEW is the new term for FEW. Apparently we have to say Pale eared white now not Flesh eared white to be politically correct!

Mollz
04-18-2008, 03:02 AM
Wow, that is very interesting PKK. Thank you for posting that! I'm ok with genetics and once I understand (and if given a pen and paper) I can work out the different possibilities in a litter (currently only with cream and it's variations/patterns), but I'm not good with any other colours. I'd love to understand some more - like you seem to - do you have any tips for getting it into your head?

Although I do rest assured with Sue's comment. It's nice to know that you don't need to be amazing and know every single genetic combination and how all the different genetics work/are linked to be able to be a brilliant breeder!