PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - Help please! Unexpected robo babies!

03-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Argh.....I just went over to check on one of my robos, Bruce because I could heard squeaking noises coming from his house (I thought he might be dreaming since I've just been posting on a thread about my Campbell who squeaks when he's asleep on another forum) and had the shock of my life. Bruce isn't a Bruce!

I picked up Bruce's house - Bruce went into a typical robo panic - and discovered four tiny little pups which is where the squeaking is coming from.

I'm really worried that by disturbing the nest, Bruce will eat his/her babies now. Bruce has gone back into the house but some of the babies are outside in the wood shavings. I just don't know what to do. Help please!!!

I've given Bruce some rice pudding but I'm worried sick that I might have put the babies at risk.

Btw, its my birthday today and this is not a present I was expecting!!!

PinkEmily
03-30-2008, 12:11 PM
:shock: Is Bruce living alone? If not remove the other one, thats the only advice i can give really, i dont know much bout breeding etc. Im guessing there isnt much you can do now really, just let mummy do what she has to do in the hope she wont hurt the pups. You werent to know though so dont feel bad. Happy Birthday hope its not spoilt your day :(

Mollz
03-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Right the best thing to do is remain calm. As you rightly said, there is a chance that mum may destroy the babies at this point - but there is also a chance that she may not. You didn't know that there were babies, so please try not to feel bad about disturbing the nest. Is Bruce with another hamster? If so, and you know which one is mum, then you need to remove the dad as the mum could get pregnant again.
You have done the right thing by giving her rice pudding, just keep giving milky foods such as porridge and high protein foods such as chicken and scrambled/boiled egg. Make sure she has lots of dried food and water available too.
Other than this, just make sure that she is not disturbed and that you only go in the cage to give food and water.

I really do hope for the best.

Gust0o
03-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Eek! Not the present you were expecting! Are these the rescue Robos?!

I honestly don't know - are the babies ok in the shavings? I would just sit and monitor, in the absence of anything else.

Good job on the food - make sure there's plenty of protein available, and water!

From what I understand, hand-rearing is very difficult with dwarves - so I hope everything turns out ok!

Tammy22
03-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi Justine, (just realised it was you from other forum!)

First of all do not Panick!!

Everything should be fine as long as you put the cage in a quiet place and leave her to look after her babies alone.

It is best to give her a small amount of chicken or well cooked scrambled egg each day to give her extra protein, but apart from that you should not disturb the cage at all - just make sure she has plenty of fresh food and water.

If she lives with the male hamster then she is probably already pregnant again, so it wont do any harm to leave the male in until the babies are just under 3 weeks old - he will help her to look after the babies.

If she is alone already then thats fine too - she will cope fine if she is not stressed.

Have a quick check in about half an hour to make sure the babies have got back into the nest - if not then you can just use a clean spoon to gently place on top of the nest - they should be fine though!

Good Luck and Happy Birthday :D

Kind Regards,

Tammy x

03-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Tammy/everyone....I'm still having a heart attack!

I've moved Bruce's bin into a corner of my bedroom so its nice and quiet. He seems to have decided to hole up in a Crittertrail tube but I'll go and check that the babies are with him/her in 30 mins.

Bruce lives alone - he was one of two robos I got to introduce to my rescue robo Arnie - Bruce bullied his brother Sylvester so I separated him and left Sylvester with Arnie as they get on quite well. I've only had him for 2 weeks so he must have been pregnant when I got him. I was assured that a vet had checked him and that he was definitely a boy so I didn't bother sexing him myself (I sexed his brother - and all of his sisters but stopped at Bruce as by then I thought the seller knew what they were doing!) Duh!!

OKay, I'm calming down now. What a birthday! I just called my Dad and said he was a granddad and nearly gave him a heart attack too.

Thanks for all your support - keeping my fingers crossed things turn out okay.

Bunsey
03-30-2008, 12:59 PM
this happened to me, too. i went to clean out my pair of female robos, lifted the hut up and there were 1 day old pinkies! (i worked out how old by looking at photos)

i was terrified they'd be eaten and it was all my fault, but the mother just moved them as luckily there was another hut in there. Try getting another hut or bridge or some kind of hidey place, rub some shavings on it to get rid of the scent and place it at the opposite side of the cage, so Bruce can move them if she wants to. I think that if Tammy (Tammy the robo not Tammy22! :lol: ) couldn't have moved the babes she might have killed them.

has Bruce retreived the babes in the wood yet? (oh, just noticed the funniness of that :lol: ) If not then you could rub a metal spoon in the shavings and then scoop up the babes with plenty of shaving as place them at the entrance to the nest.

Are they completely pink or do they have a slight brownish tint to their backs?

03-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Bruce has 3 of the babies in a Crittertrail tube now so I just used a teaspoon to move the other one in there (while Bruce was elsewhere in the bin). Luckily I have some new hamster houses I bought yesterday so I'll put one of those in there. I was actually planning to move Bruce to a new cage tonight!! Just as well I didn't go rushing into that one.

I've taken out the Silent Spinner - although Bruce doesn't seme pleased about that - is that the right thing to do?

The babies are completely pink. No signs of any brownish tints from what I can see but they've bee mostly lying on their backs when I've seen them.

Bunsey
03-30-2008, 01:16 PM
yes, removing the wheel is the right thing as a baby could be hurt if it climbs in by mistake.

they sound like brand new babies

Tammy22
03-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes, sorry, should have said before that you should immediately remove the wheel.

I think you were right when you said she had them last night - they sound very young - probably just a day!

I dont think i would like the idea of any of mine having a litter in a tube - try to fill one of the new houses up with fresh, clean bedding to entice her to go into it with the babies - if she does go into it and take the babies with her then i would remove any tubes - just to be on the safe side - i would guess it would be difficult for all of them to get fed in a tube!

If not, dont worry - it is best to just let her do her own thing!

Tammy x

03-30-2008, 01:37 PM
I've put a new house in with new bedding but Bruce has decided to turn one of the bin corners into a nest. I'm just relieved to see 4 babies there with Bruce with them. Phew! :)

I'll take the tubes out now. I thought I'd also put half a millet spray in for Bruce for extra protein - is that okay? - until I can get to the shop tomorrow and stock up on eggs and chicken.

Spuds Mum
03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh goodness what a shock you must have had - glad the pups have been gathered up by Mum now.

I would just give Mum lots of peace and quiet, and if she has already had rice pudding today, she should be fine. You may want to ensure she has enough dry mix by just sprinkling some into a corner well away from the nest for now though.

Good luck, and happy birthday - it is certainly one you wont forget in a hurry isn't it?

Basia
03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Sounds as though you have everything under control now. What a surprise - good luck with the litter, hope all goes well from now on.
And - Happy Birthday. :D

04-04-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm a bit worried that I may have lost one of the babies. For some reason, Bruce has moved 3 of the babies out into the open. I don't know if the 4th baby is in the nest still or not. I'm trying really hard to keep away and leave things alone but I'm very worried. :(

Tammy22
04-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Hi Justine,

i am sorry to hear that, it may be nothing, i know some hamsters have two nests sometimes if they think it would be easier to cope that way, but not usually with only 4 babies.

The babies are only appox. 6 days old at the moment, so unfortunately there isnt anything you can do if she is leaving one baby out, and there certainly isnt anything you can do if the baby is already dead, or been destroyed.

Usually after 6 days of everything being well, the only reason a mother would abandon or destroy just one baby would be becasue it was ill or it had died on its own - and that might explain why she has moved the others away too.

Please dont worry, nature usually knows best and it will all sot itself out for the best.

Good Luck.

Tammy x :)

04-04-2008, 02:14 AM
Thanks Tammy. I've catually just been and picked the 3 babies up with a teaspoon and moved them back into the nest as I was so worried about them. They were just lying out there in the open and had been for quite a while so I decided to risk it. When I moved them back, the 4th baby was still in the nest (and wriggling) so it looks like we still have 4 babies. Lets hope I haven't messed things up too much but I was worried that the 3 would die of cold if nothing else.

Edit: Here's the first baby pictures - of the 3 before I put them back in Bruce's nest.

Souffle : Sorry the babies are too small for the forum. Please wait till their eyes are open before posting pics even links.

newtohamsters
04-05-2008, 03:44 PM
oh God , how nerve racking!

and what a shock. hope the mum is now safely with the babies. it must be so hard to leave them alone.

All the best and let us know what ishappening

xx