PDA

View Full Version : Catsitting my mom's old kitty

Hamtastic
06-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I grew up with this little guy, but haven't lived with him for many years now. Periodically I get to catsit him when my mom travels.

He is 18 years old now and is a cross between a Siberian and Persian cats, thus very fluffy... to a fault (very very tangly hair has always been a nightmare to maintain).

Anyway, here he is, having a taste of freshly-made Lucy's soup (with some sour cream in it to taste!)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7219/7405099472_373c3c3853_z.jpg

Charley101
06-19-2012, 07:02 PM
He's gorgeous :)

Baldrick has Persian in her. She has a flat, squashy face a little flat nose and large eyes :)

Willow's mummy!
06-19-2012, 11:24 PM
What a beautiful colour! He looks really healthy for 18 too. My mum's old cat is 19, & though she's still healthy enough, she really looks old now.

Kissa
06-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Aww, looks a bit like my old cat Fluffy, who lived till nearly 20 ;)

HollyHamster
06-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I know that an easy way to manage cats with long hair is to get them to a groomer and have them give the cat a "Lion" cut. It basically takes off all the hair from the body, leaving the head, paws and tip of the tail. Really makes them look goofy as can be but its a lot easier than trying to brush a very angry cat everyday.

Hamtastic
06-23-2012, 06:12 PM
That would be great, but my cat has never been accepting of grooming. He gets extremely agitated, and the vets said they would have to sedate him, which my mom never agreed to do. She usually brushed him while he slept, in small amounts, cutting out particularly bad mats with scissors. It's gotten well out of hand now, as he's so old. I called my normal vet about him, and they said there they'd be afraid to shave him without sedation, as he could have a heart attack :( I'm wondering if I can buy really sharp shearing grooming brush and just groom-cut his hair. He probably won't let me do too much, but he's in a pretty bad state now, so I need to try something.