PDA

View Full Version : Silver greys

Catja
03-28-2008, 12:42 PM
My first hamster this time round was a LH silver grey female (petshop ham) . I think she is a lovely colour and is the only hamster who answers to he name.

But it seems silver greys don't seem a popular colour to breed or own at the moment. Is this right and if so why is that?

I am curious as I have seen it mentioned variously that they have quite relaxed natures, is this true

Bourne Valley Hams
03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Not at all, they are still popular but not as popular as they were about 3 years ago. Colours go through phases of popularity and a few years ago the entire AOC class would have been filled with silver greys!
I still breed silver greys and find that they are very popular.
They do have the most amazing sweet natures.

annc
03-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Niblet was a silver-grey. She was lovely.

Bunsey
03-28-2008, 03:14 PM
i don't think i've ever seen one. or maybe i have and thought it was a normal grey!

Holly
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
I think Mocha is heterozygous Silver Grey which means he just inherited one silver-grey gene and has browned a lot as he's aged (though he was once judged to be a Light Grey as well so I'm not sure).

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that he does have this incredible laid back and relaxed temperament and I've heard of other SilverGreys having it too 8)

Basia
03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
My Sid is a silver or light grey or a mix of the two, not absolutely sure - he came from P@H. He also is the sweetest natured, laid-back boy you could wish to meet, I love him to bits. He is a tiny boy though.
I would like some more silver greys one day..... (Need a bigger hamster room)

Catja
03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Funny you should say that about browning Holly as Kretchmer has browned over the year we have had her as though she has been stained with tea, although lately she has been going paler again.

I would really like another silver grey

agatecrystal
03-30-2008, 06:26 AM
I know quite a few people with silver greys so I wouldn'y say they were exactly unpopular.

Bourne Valley Hams
03-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Just for the silver lovers - 3 of the girls from my 5 week old silver/ivory litter.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/harriscarter/silvers-1.jpg

L-R - Silver, Black-eyed white, Black eyed ivory.

Sadly they were just too young to bring to Thame last week though I know Moosley would have snatched them out of my hands!!

Catja
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Aren't they gorgeous, good job you aren't close to me or I would have stolen them first.

I love silver greys and am seriously contemplating another, also its nice to see an ivory, so are ivory's like a paler version of a cream, a sort of halfway I guess, they look lovely, its a great pic and very tempting :lol: :lol:

Mollz
03-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Aww, they are gogrgeous Sue!

We're considering having a second line of silver grey or ivory. Would you say that they are hard colours to get right or to get good quality show/breeding animals for?

Bourne Valley Hams
03-30-2008, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't say that they are hard to get right - just that no two judges will agree what is right!!

There are a limited number of breeders though now and most seem to be related somewhere along the line.

Bunsey
03-30-2008, 10:03 AM
the ivory looks just like a cream roan! they are all gorgeous! what genes is ivory?

Spuds Mum
03-30-2008, 10:08 AM
I love ivories too Sue - is there much difference in an ivory from dark grey rather than silver grey? I'm thinking that along the way with my guys I will end up with odd ivories and lilacs, colours I really like! And I think that is one of the first ivory hamsters Ive seen posted on here :D

If she'd been from dark grey I would have been fighting all comers for her :oops:

Catja
03-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm very taken with the silver grey girl , she reminds me a bit of my silver grey girl, I always think greys have a very expressive face :lol:

As a matter of interest Sue, where abouts in Hampshire are you?

Tammy22
03-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Oh Sue, the first hamster in that pic is absolutely gorgeous!!

Beautiful!!

Tammy x

Bourne Valley Hams
03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
the ivory looks just like a cream roan! they are all gorgeous! what genes is ivory?

grey (in this case silver grey) + cream

Bourne Valley Hams
03-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I love ivories too Sue - is there much difference in an ivory from dark grey rather than silver grey? I'm thinking that along the way with my guys I will end up with odd ivories and lilacs, colours I really like! And I think that is one of the first ivory hamsters Ive seen posted on here :D

If she'd been from dark grey I would have been fighting all comers for her :oops:

No difference at all. Theoretically silver grey ivories are non standard but as Andrew Bryan says - you judge what you see, not what the genetics actually are.

Holly
03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
I agree Catja - Greys do have very expressive faces, I always find as well.

Sue they are beautiful, there's nothing else I can say, just beautiful 8)

Bourne Valley Hams
03-30-2008, 02:25 PM
As a matter of interest Sue, where abouts in Hampshire are you?

Very, very North Hampshire - one mile from Wiltshire, one mile from Berkshire. 9 miles south of Hungerford.

Catja
03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Hmmn, getting closer by the minute! :wink: