PDA

View Full Version : Does mating lower show quality of a female?

Mollz
03-27-2008, 12:31 PM
As some of you know we are planning on mating Amelie (our LH REC satin) to a stud male from Tristar later this year. We obviously have been talking to Jean/David a lot.

In a recent email where David listed a very long :shock: list of boys for us to choose from he said that we might want to wait until June/July, and show her lots in between, rather than the middle of May (when she would be 4 and 1/2 months old) like we had originally planned. Now she is a big girl (was around 154g at 9 weeks old - I will weigh her again soon) and did well in her first show. When I asked them for advice they told me that they mostly mate at 16 weeks old so I don't think it is anything to do with size/weight.

This made me think - does having babies decrease how well they do in shows? I just can't come up with any other reason why he would suggest it. I do understand that condition/weight may decrease for a while after mating, but does it permanantly effect it?

I still plan to go ahead with the mating (in whichever month we/Tristar think is best), but was just curious! So everyone's opinions are welcome :D

Matty Day
03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
well ive heard the oposite it increses the quality. i might be best to wait a bit just i case thougth

i dont know what it is with tristar but there older females are always on the sales table dont know why ?

Bunsey
03-27-2008, 12:40 PM
i've been told that it definately does. can't remember who said that.

it does for winter whites anyway, i think LMDH told me about WW females loosing show quality once they're bred from.

souffle
03-27-2008, 12:41 PM
In our experience females show a lot better after a litter. They bulk out and they really seem to bloom after the babies have been weaned. Maybe he wants her to get a few shows in first for you? I would say you should decide when it most suits you Mollz. Pophammy likes to have babies at the handling stage when she is on a long holiday spell so she can spend lots of time with them without having to worry about studying etc so that would suit you in the summer. :lol:

Mollz
03-27-2008, 12:41 PM
I dont know what it is with tristar but there older females are always on the sales table dont know why ?
It's because they run on a fair few hamsters from each litter, but don't always decide to keep them all, so sell them to nice pet homes at shows. I asked them :wink:

Mollz
03-27-2008, 12:43 PM
In our experience females show a lot better after a litter. They bulk out and they really seem to bloom after the babies have been weaned. Maybe he wants her to get a few shows in first for you? I would say you should decide when it most suits you Mollz. Pophammy likes to have babies at the handling stage when she is on a long holiday spell so she can spend lots of time with them without having to worry about studying etc so that would suit you in the summer. :lol:

I had thought that it was the case that they showed better - I wonder why?

I had thought about trying to aim for them being at 2 weeks around a holiday, maybe I'll have a rethink and try to sort it out around the summer hols?

Spuds Mum
03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Our girls who we have bred do tend to lose condition a little immediately after the hard work of raising a litter, however they do seem to actually bulk up better after. We certainly feel that our BB has really done that since having her litter, so I would agree with Souffle really. :D

Matty Day
03-27-2008, 12:49 PM
[quote="Mollz
I had thought that it was the case that they showed better - I wonder why?

I had thought about trying to aim for them being at 2 weeks around a holiday, maybe I'll have a rethink and try to sort it out around the summer hols?[/quote]

i did that it makes life easeir as you can keep an eye on them without having going to college far easeir

im doing my first syrian litter in the xmas hols for that reson thats why i need to get my female in september :x

Matty Day
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
[quote="Mollz
It's because they run on a fair few hamsters from each litter, but don't always decide to keep them all, so sell them to nice pet homes at shows. I asked them :wink:[/quote]

its strange that they have all had litters thougth

its jsut a pratice i do not agree with ethically :x

Bunsey
03-27-2008, 12:55 PM
it's most likely a question of space. when a female's had a few litters, she's no longer useful so they are sold as pets to make room for more. there's no way a big breeder could keep all their hams to old age. i couldn't be like that personally. i'd keep all mine.

souffle
03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
The larger breeders do put their breeder females as donation for pets once they have finished breeding them. We couldn't do that either Bunsey. Once here they are here for life :lol:

Yaffle
03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
From my personal experience (bearing in mind I've only had one litter) having a litter has really taken it's toll on Yeti. Since having the pups her belly fur has really thinned to the point where she hardly has any and her fur in general has thinned too! Her colour also seems less vibrant :roll:
I don't at all regret having the litter and I'm sure she dosn't either but it does appear to have effected her condition. She's bulked up again nicely though and I'm supplementing her diet with lots of yummy stuff to help the fur growth so fingers crossed!
I think it could possibly be down to the fact that it was her second litter and she was 9/10 months old at the time too so could be a combination of old age. I wouldn't be too conerned though, other people on the forum with more experience will be better to advise :D

Matty Day
03-27-2008, 01:06 PM
i wonder if one of theese would be good at showing i might take one in and give it a try :x

and of course she would have a good home with me :x

Holly
03-27-2008, 01:06 PM
To be honest my experience with Caramel is simillar to Yeti's - she's darkened and bulked up since having her litter nearly six months ago - but her fur has never recovered it's shine or it's thickness and she just doesn't look as good.

Maybe some females look better after a litter and some don't, I don't know.

Bourne Valley Hams
03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Generally a female will not show well after about a year old, nor will she be useful for breeding after a year or so old, though she may well live until 2 or more - so for a year you will have a retired hamster. The maximum age for rehoming a hamster at a show is 10 months, so if you don't want half a hamstery full of retired hamsters you need to rehome them then.
See - I know the theory - but still my hamstery is half full of oldies!! Even with the number I have it is so hard to part with them once they are named!! :roll:

Mollz
03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
See - I know the theory - but still my hamstery is half full of oldies!! Even with the number I have it is so hard to part with them once they are named!! :roll:
No, I don't think I'd ever be able to part with any of my animals (except the babies, obviously).

Now I have re-thinked everything. I am thinking of mating her mid-June rather than mid-May. This will mean that she is 5 1/2 months old and the babies will be 2 weeks just as I break up for the summer hols. This is fine, but the one thing that worried me is that if she doesn't get pregnant/something goes wrong in the first mating, then it doesn't give me much time to play with. Do you think it would be a problem mating her at 6-6 1/2 months old if she doesn't take the first time?

Spuds Mum
03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
I always thought it was something I could never even comprehend though, but at Bradford, Pete Logsdail was talking to Holly and me about donations of older hamsters and what he said really made me think.

We have Vala who is an ex-breeder pure golden from Carrington, and despite her being a mature woman we love her and she is a lovely part of our home. We've even showed her and she has done quite well considering she is pure!

Pete was explaining that these older hamsters can make very laid back and accepting pets for younger children or inexperienced adults. They are generall robust, and can cope with more than young hamsters, they are very unlikely ever to bite a new owner, and because of all these reasons, become loved pets to attentive owners.

I still think it would be an absolute wrench, however I can understand how people with a limit on numbers, who wish to continue to show and breed can make the decision to do this.

Matty Day
03-28-2008, 06:48 AM
well iv have deiced to take on one of theese oldeis if i cant get a lilac from towy vale any time soon :x