PDA

View Full Version : Gravy had babies!

WolvesRaven
06-12-2005, 03:09 AM
This is Gravy. She's beautiful and very sweet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/WolvesRaven/Hamsters%20and%20Gerbils/Hamster-Gravy/Gravy3.jpg

SO I decided to let her and my sister's hamster play together. When she was in heat. O:) That was about two weeks ago. More or less. And then tonight she was smelly and I assumed she was in heat. So later I was going to give her a few treats and top off her food bowl. And when I opened the cage guess what she showed me? Babies! In the nest! And she was still in labor! I watched her have one and then I covered the cage with a towel and added some shredded tissue paper. She kicked out all of the bloody bedding and put in the clean new stuff I gave her. I felt important :lol: . I'll try to get pics ASAP. She's been nursing them and sleeping a lot since the birth and I don't want to disturb her. I told Spudz. He was excited.

SnuggleHam
06-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Aww babies :) Congratulations... I think :? Did you want her to have babies, that part is unclear since you seemed to be saying you purposefully let her "play" with another hamster while in heat. I mean unless you plan to breed a Syrian they really should never be put together for play, the consequents could be catastrophic!

Well post us pictures! Also I’m going to have to request that you somehow resize the images of your hamsters, the pictures are way to large, even for my monitor. If you cant then I’m going to have to ask you to change the images to url’s for people to click, thanks we just want to keep the four neat and tidy. :)

WolvesRaven
06-12-2005, 05:06 AM
Hmm... I don't know how to resize. So I'll just post url's.

I wanted to breed her. She's 4-5 months old and in great shape. Also she's very sweet and has never had any problems with her teeth or allergies or anything like that. I thought she'd have beautiful, sweet-natured babies. And the pet store I got my rats from said they'd take any I couldn't find homes for for free. I just wasn't expecting babies. I mean I thought she was in heat last night and then here are tiny little squirmy hamster babies tonight! But it's great. She's doing wonderfully. All the babies are in the box with mom and squeaking happily. One got dropped when mom went to get a drink of water earlier but I scooped him up with a spoon and put him back in the box.

SnuggleHam
06-12-2005, 05:22 AM
Hmm... I don't know how to resize. So I'll just post url's.

I wanted to breed her. She's 4-5 months old and in great shape. Also she's very sweet and has never had any problems with her teeth or allergies or anything like that. I thought she'd have beautiful, sweet-natured babies. And the pet store I got my rats from said they'd take any I couldn't find homes for for free. I just wasn't expecting babies. I mean I thought she was in heat last night and then here are tiny little squirmy hamster babies tonight! But it's great. She's doing wonderfully. All the babies are in the box with mom and squeaking happily. One got dropped when mom went to get a drink of water earlier but I scooped him up with a spoon and put him back in the box.

I see... glad they are doing well and that you had planned to breed and that you werent just letting them romp around together for fun :P

About resizing images. There are a few ways, one way it can be done is with photoshop. Or windows picture and fax veiwer or maybe even windows paint. if you cant find a way you should be able to go to your own posts and "edit" them and there you can change it to a url :)

Thanks. :)

babyboos
06-12-2005, 03:40 PM
The gestation period for a Syrian is a minimum of 16 days normally so I wonder if maybe you have your dates wrong or Spudz was "playing" with her three weeks ago?

WolvesRaven
06-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Well it was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. She and Spudz aren't ever in the same cage. We tried them together a few months ago and he was too gimpy to stand up behind her. And we didn't want her to have babies with him because of his tumor. We thought it might affect the babies or they'd be more prone to tomors. I think it was about 14-15 days ago when we put them together.