PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me!

PinkEmily
03-26-2008, 03:14 AM
Chip used to be a lovely calm hamster, she was pretty much the perfect hamster, then she developed a large lump last year, which has now gone, but since then shes been a moody cow! She will snatch food, try take bites out of me and after a few minutes of putting food in her bowl the good bits will be stashed away and shes asking for more food (she never eats it btw) And i cant really say no to her, so whenever i see her empty bowl i fill it up. She keeps moving out of her house and using it as a food store. She even moved onto store it under her sawdust last week, because her house was full!
This morning she came out and was tuttering at me through the bars, no idea what ive done wrong! Anyway i had a little chat with her and she walked out onto my hand and she tried to take a chunck of my finger off. so i put her on my dressing gown and she attacked that so i put her back in the cage with a stearn word from me to stop being b***h. she calmed down so i said she could have the left over food in the food tin. Shes back in her cage now and biting her cage door asking for attention.

I really dont know what to do, shes so aggressive and demanding all the time, oh and costs me a fortune on food!!!

Anyone got any ideas what it could be before i loose my mind!!!

Is this a typical girl thing? My boys are so calm and laid back :?

souffle
03-26-2008, 05:11 AM
It may be that Chip is still suffering from the after effects of her illness. Sometimes even though an animal may seem healed on the outsideyou never know what has happened inside where you can see nothing. There could be scarring pressing on a nerve or even an internal growth giving her some pain. I think you need to be patient really and indulge her as you really just don't know. If she does not want to be handled then maybe stick to taking her out in a box or ball and just giving her strokes and loving words.
Any behavioral change can indicate illness and I would err on the side of caution and have her checked out. Maybe she is just a grumpy matron now but you really don't know.
We had a dog who suffered behavior changes which we could not understand and then we found she had a massive tumour and secondaries in her brain which explained eveything so I am always very considerate of this possiblity with any creature and would never get angry or frustrated with them as they likely just cannot help it.
You could bake a french stick in the oven till it is nice and solid and give her that to work on :lol: Not sure how long it would take her to demolish it. Don't keep filling the food bowl as she will just store it. Be strict and fill it once every two days then she will eat more of all the mix.
I hope she is just old age grumps and she does well

PinkEmily
03-26-2008, 08:10 AM
She could possibly have more internal tumors, her old one is still there slightly. Giving her a breadstick is a good idea, although she will most likely demolish it pretty quickly. She can completely destroy a kitchen roll tube within a couple of hours.
Ive also thought of moving her into Teds old Peggy cage with the tubes etc she may find it interesting. Shes up most of the day, she has 2 toilet rolls that she is distroying atm. I think holding her in my hands is completely out of the question now.