PDA

View Full Version : Chartiy Baking Help!

Shell
05-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Long story short, I love to bake but class myself very much as a hobby baker and am attending night classes on cake decorating. I have made cupcakes and cakepops for others before though.

My Nana's friend is running a charity fete in aid of Marie Curie and my Nan mentioned I like to bake. Her friend asked if I'd like to help. I, of course, said I'd love to but I have somehow ended up wth my very own cake stall! I'm nervous and excited in equal amounts!

Anyway, it's not for a couple of weeks and I've already planned the type of things I want to make and begun making flower and butterfly decorations and stuff.

I was thinking...

Cupcakes:
Vanilla Iced
Vanilla Frosted
Chocolate
Coffee
Chocolate Orange
Rich Fruit
Fudge/Caramel

Biscuits:
Gingerbread
Shortbread
Cookies
Jammy Hearts

Also: Cake-Pops

Maybe:
Rock Buns
Crispie Cakes

I have no idea how busy it'sgoing to be so I'm winging it completely and we may end up eating cake for weeks! :rolleyes:

My main stumbling block though is pricing :confused: I have no idea what to charge. I was thinking 75p for a muffin sized cupcake like these I made last night...

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/ShellTrooper/Shells%20Kitchen%201/IMG_0697.jpg

(these I did for a friends baby shower..)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/ShellTrooper/DSC_0020-1.jpg

or cake-pop, mainly because they're a pain to make. Don't really want to leave them out as I think they'll be quite popular though..

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/ShellTrooper/DSCN1405.jpg

Then 50p for a Crispie cake/ rock bun/ small cupcake?

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/ShellTrooper/IMG_0311.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/ShellTrooper/Shells%20Kitchen%201/IMG_0622.jpg

And maybe 4 biscuits of £1..?

Does this sound reasonable? I don't want to overprice them, especially as it's a charity event, but then I don't want to sell myself short and not make any money for the charity either!

Sorry for all the pics, just wanted to give an idea of what they'll be like so you know what I'm on about!

Please help! What would you be willing to pay for a decorated cake at a fete and have I missed any obvious flavour choices!

Thanks guys x x

AngelAmes
05-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Wow those cakes looks so good :-)
I can't really help with prices sorry but I would definatly pay 75p for one of those muffins :-)

Kissa
05-25-2012, 05:53 PM
I'd may more than 75p for one of those muffins ;) I'd pay double the price, at least :lol:

Hammymad
05-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Wow,you've got a real talent there :) love the little cakes,I love most foods tho lol.I think the pricing is about right,they are definately worth the prices you've suggested,let us know how you get on :) x

gutterglitterxx
05-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Well now you've made me hungry! :p

samzyzg
05-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately i'm not helpful on the pricing but i'm extremely hungry now XD i've taken to baking just now as I have nothing to do, nothing looking that nice, tastes nice but doesn't look neat. Why not ask the organiser if she thinks your prices are reasonable?

Lougarry
05-26-2012, 12:02 AM
I always make cakes for the school fair, but to make it easy they just charge a flat rate for everything. A deal where you offer one for 65p and two for £1 might be worth trying. I made carrot cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting that sold out very quickly.

LawaRawr
05-26-2012, 01:16 AM
wow they look amazing, im now wanting some cakes xD i would pay thoes pirces for them cakes. my sisters work often does cake sales and they sell decorative cakes for £1 each and they are quite small sized tbh. so 75p is reasonable :)

Shell
05-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Thanks everyone x x

I'll run it by my Nana's friend later. I would think that normally, £1 each is a fair price but as it's a charity thing I don't want to put people off by thinking I'm charging over the odds! (and then leave me with tonnes of cake!)

Thanks again. Off to make cookie dough today so I can freeze it and bake it the day before :D

Lynternette
05-26-2012, 02:20 AM
We were told at cake decorating classes to work out what your cost is and add a third. Don't forget to take into account your fuel cost.

Kissa
05-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Surely people would be likely to pay more if they know it's a charity event? That's what I'd assume, anyway ;)

Vicki S
05-26-2012, 03:09 AM
Wow there class I'm hungry now lol

And they look amazing I'd pay more than 75p for one :)

Vicki

danni02
05-26-2012, 03:19 PM
you could do £1 each or 2 for £1.50. the harder to decorate the more expensive the cake.
cake pops are good for the kids. and cheap to make. i'd do 60p each or 3 for £1

jemmalg
05-27-2012, 09:30 AM
I've no idea on pricing, this makes sense though! We were told at cake decorating classes to work out what your cost is and add a third. Don't forget to take into account your fuel cost.

Your cakes look beautiful, I'd definitely pay more than 75p for that first one, yum.