PDA

View Full Version : I`ve ordered some Fimo modelling clay!

racinghamster
05-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Having seen the lovely clay models that Erin makes, I was inspired to have a go myself just as a new side-hobby as I`ve always been an arty person. I bought five Fimo soft clays from an ebay shop today but will need to wait on her new stock arriving, which will be either tomorrow or Monday. I don`t mind though as I`m in no hurry.

I`m going to try my hand at one or two small keyring-sized models and see how they turn out. I thought if they turned out well, I could make a few as gifts for a few friends and family. :) I wanted to start with the easy Fimo Soft clays as I`m just a novice so wasn`t too sure about the premier clays or the more advanced ones, so I will stick to using the easiest clay for the moment until I get better at handling it.

I will need to buy some of those little metal `rings` though that go into the models before they are baked if I want to use them as keyrings or jewellery. Anyone know what these are called?

Also, who else makes their own models? I`d love to see your work. :) I`ve even told mum who`s 73 she can have a go! :mad:

StarlightSerenity
05-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Ooo good luck, I'd love to have a go with some one day too.

Those rings, do you mean the screw eye ones? Like these 50 BRONZE TONE PLATED BRASS BASED SCREW EYES 12mm x 5mm | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-BRONZE-TONE-PLATED-BRASS-BASED-SCREW-EYES-12mm-x-5mm-/310393071033?pt=UK_Crafts_JewelleryMaking_GL&hash=item4844de65b9)

KitchenZoo
05-24-2012, 07:16 AM
there called jump rings, I use them to make jewellery, keyrings, bag charms etc. They come in different sizes in mm's dependant on what you are going to attach them to. I buy mine from ebay, a store called Beadaddicts and bought a tray complete with different size jump rings which is excellent for different projects. good luck with your new craft it's exciting learning new things.

StarlightSerenity
05-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Jump rings won't work as well as a screw eye though will it? My first thought was jump rings but you'd have to half sink the ring into it, where as a screw eye means that the entire ring is exposed.

racinghamster
05-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys, I had a look over on ebay and the long rods that go into the clay models are called eye pins and they come in different mm lengths. The jump rings are round metal rings. I imagine these are for attaching the eye pins to once the model is baked and then attached to one of these rings to form a keychain or a necklace? I will get some eye pins to sink into my small figures because I can`t model anything until I have some eye pins!

racinghamster
05-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Does anyone know the `tried and tested` gas mark for baking fimo on? I`ve got some people saying cook for 30 minutes at gas mark 1 and others saying 20 minutes at gas mark 2? Some reports say cook at less than this (very low) for 30 minutes. It`s all a little confusing to say the least! The manufacturers instructions for Fimo Soft is 30 minures at 110centigrade, but that is for electric ovens.

I will obviously do a few test runs but if anyone could give me a fair idea of what they have found works best using a conventional gas oven, that would help a lot. I don`t want to over or underbake my little creations!

Lougarry
05-27-2012, 12:21 AM
I can't help with oven temps but just wanted to say I'm Looking forward to seeing them :)

racinghamster
05-27-2012, 01:25 AM
I will try and get photos up as a friend of mine is giving me her old Sony camera but I still have to get used to uploading and stuff! :mad: My fimo has been dispatched by the ebay seller so should be with me tomorrow or Tuesday. I just want to begin by making small animals around the 20mm size and then once I get the hang of things, I can go a bit bigger. I want to start slow and just make a few kittle keyrings or zip-pulls and see how they turn out. Looking forward to having a new hobby though. Just hope I can get the baking heat setting just right for my gas oven without having to do too many test bakes and using up my fimo.

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
05-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Ooo I'm excited to see the results! :D Fimo soft is what I use (I hate fimo classic it's too crumbly) and I have used sculpey before which is another recommended one but it's just too hard to mould :/ Fimo soft is easier for making tiny details but you have to be careful of how hot it is where you store it as the heat makes it waaay too soft >.<

As for the heat of the oven stick it on gas mark 1 and cook it for 20 minutes, remove them allow them to cool down and give them a little tap on a hard surface. They should sound rock hard. If they don't pop them in for another 10 minutes :) The clay still cooks as it cools down so don't worry about them still being soft when you take them out. It is also really easy to burn the clay if you leave it in for too long or on to high of a heat so stick with it being low and just keep checking them until they are done :)

I only use ovens for my big orders and actually use a basic desk lamp to cook single models! Just wait until the lamp gets hot and then put the model on some kind of stand about 3 inches away from the bulb (it needs to be an open bulb) then watch it for 10 minutes, remove it, let it cool, flip it over and put it under for another 10 minutes! It's easier than having to set up the oven every time :)

racinghamster
05-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Erin your a darling! :) That makes total sense really because taking them out the oven after 20 minutes sounds like the right approach. If I find they are still soft, I can bake them for another ten minutes from cold, just to give them a wee `boost`!

I won`t be selling any as I will only be making a few sample pieces for myself and some friends as little gifts. I really just wanted something I could try as a new hobby and this sounded fun. I chose the Fimo Soft on the recommendation of an online friend (and some online tips) because it`s user friendly and I`m not likely to have issues with it like crumbling or feeling it`s too hard to condition.

Wow, if you use an open lightbulb Erin to harden your small figures, I can see why an oven might easily burn Fimo, so thanks very much indeed for your advice. Much appraciated.

I`ve seen this little pink pig figure I want to try and make! I`ve only ordered five colours though so I will be limited to what I can create until I purchase more colours. I`m only getting black, white, raspberry, chocolate and caramel. Should get me started though making a few little white mice or my pink pig!

05-27-2012, 04:13 AM
Ooh that sounds really nice! :D Chocolate has to be my all time favourite colour, it honestly does look like chocolate! You can make some really realistic looking miniature foods from it :D

racinghamster
05-27-2012, 04:51 AM
I`ll probably have a go at a little cupcake to test in the oven and go from there. I love the little chocolate bases with pink icing on top! It`s been great looking through some YouTube tutorials and watching all the different ways people make things. I`ll do a little cupcake and attach it to my bag zipper if it turns out okay.

Erin, what baking surface would you recommed for baking on in the oven? I thought about just buying a cheap metal baking tray for use with the clay and lining it with plain or a grease proof baking sheet of paper as some report foil or pyrex glass can make the clay stick? Anything simplistic would do but if using a heat proof pyrex glass plate is better I can do that.

05-27-2012, 05:08 AM
I think the glass plate would be fine but it isn't something I have ever tried, I always use a baking tray with greaseproof paper on it and that works great! Tin foil often gets stuck to the base of my models so I would avoid that :)

racinghamster
05-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Great, thanks Erin. I will go the tray/greasproof paper way. :)

leedsgurl
05-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Also, who else makes their own models? I`d love to see your work. :)

I used to make some but had just gotten too busy, and I'm such a perfectionist that it took ages to make just one! so I've turned them into cartoons now (the ones on my sig) :)

Here are some I made a while ago:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/leedsgurl_photos/MAH/fimo_family4.jpg

Teeny tiny earrings (I think I still have these actually!)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/leedsgurl_photos/MAH/tinyearrings_myhams.jpg

A long haired one:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/leedsgurl_photos/MAH/marie_myhams.jpg

It was all Souffle's idea though, as she'd asked me to make one for Pophammys birthday, and it carried on from there :) She also thought of the name MyHams :)

05-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Wow those are Epic Leedsgurl! I love how adorable and cute they are! I can't imagine how you got them all so perfect! :D

Lougarry
05-28-2012, 01:00 PM
They are fantastic, Leedsgurl.

racinghamster
05-29-2012, 03:47 AM
They are so cute! LOVE the white one with the pink feet! Absolutely gorgeous leedsgurl. My clay arrived in the post yesterday (seller`s shop on ebay is Panda`s Patch for anyone ineterested as her prices are good and service excellent). I popped into Tesco this morning and bought some grease-proof lining paper and a new metal baking tray. Just waiting on my eye pins arriving now. :)

Leedsgurl, those little mice/hamsters would make great little zip-pulls for bags or mobile charms. I love them! :)

leedsgurl
05-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Aww thank you :) I did sell them as keyrings, and the smaller ones as phone charms and earrings. I might start them up again once I have more time :)

Good luck with your models, looking forward to seeing them :)

racinghamster
05-29-2012, 05:35 AM
I think you should because they are really good. :) Did you varnish them or do you find the clay finishes well without the need for a hardening agent like an acrylic varnish? I wondered about that but wasn`t sure if a varnish was actually needed.

leedsgurl
05-29-2012, 05:47 AM
I didn't use varnish, but suppose it could be used for satin hamsters :D

racinghamster
05-29-2012, 06:57 AM
:mad: True! I love the simplicity of your little charms. They are recognisable without being too detailed. I like that. Did you put a tail on the back or just leave them plain?

leedsgurl
05-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Most of them are plain at the back, but I have put on a little pink tail before :)

racinghamster
05-29-2012, 10:16 AM
A long tail for a mousie and a little tuft for a dwarf hamster! :mad: Did you do any other designs apart from the hamsters? I will be staying with smallish animals and disc type designs and once I get the hang of things, I will look at making some as gifts for a few friends. Using fimo is the type of hobby that can be plain and simple, or get as complex as you want it to be, but that`s when it can become too labour intensive and for me, it`s very easy to start simple and then hav it get on my nerves because I`ve allowed it to become too detailed. So I`ve decided to stay simple and not get bored with it.

leedsgurl
05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah I've done a few other bits, like angry birds and a cute retro Nintendo controller. Will have to find some pics :)

leedsgurl
05-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Found them :smile: these weren't to sell, they were just for me :smile: (I usually show a penny so you get an idea of the scale)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/leedsgurl_photos/MAH/twoangrybirds.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/leedsgurl_photos/MAH/fimocontroller.jpg

racinghamster
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
:mad: Love the expression on the angry bird! How did you find the baking times and temperatures leedsgurl? Did you use an electric or gas cooker? I have a gas cooker so will need to keep a close eye on things.

leedsgurl
05-30-2012, 06:34 AM
I used an electric oven, ours is fan assisted so kept the temperature quite low, about 100C, and only put them in for 10-15 mins. It's always better to do a bit less if in doubt though, as they can be ruined if overdone.

racinghamster
05-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Yes, I agree with that. I`ve read about too many people saying that when they follow the manufacturers instruction (bake for 30 minutes) they usually end up burning which can create fumes. Erin was saying earlier in the thread that it`s best to bake for 20 minutes and then let them cool right down. If they need re-baking for another ten minutes I can always pop them back in again on the gas mark 1 or less. I`d rather be cautious and bake them for half the time suggested than get a burnt offering! :mad: