PDA

View Full Version : Is it good for kids???

KimOrbit
05-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Hi every one. As you know I have breed 5 Hamsters and I should make Homes for them. Well, I have made a sample to see If its good or not.

Please tell me what to do and what to add to this cage ;)

there are two holes on right side which are slots for normal water bottles. But I have made a simple water bottle my self That Hammy showed me that A hamster can drink water with it.

I have installed the food bowl on those holes in one of the pictures. then Its added to cage ;)

And you can see the nest open while Hammy (An 8 months old Syrian) is in it.

http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q515/KimOrbit/?action=view&current=DSC03460.jpg
http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q515/KimOrbit/?action=view&current=DSC03420.jpg
http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q515/KimOrbit/?action=view&current=DSC03427.jpg
http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q515/KimOrbit/?action=view&current=DSC03429.jpg

Bekki2308
05-21-2012, 07:26 AM
It looks ok just very small. What are the dimensions of the box?

KimOrbit
05-21-2012, 07:28 AM
50Cm x 30Cm.
Its not a permanent home for them :) I just want to put Kids inside it while I can find a good cage for them.
It costs me only 4$ which is fantastic :)

Bekki2308
05-21-2012, 07:30 AM
As a temporary home for one baby syrian until they are sold on/ adopted then that is probably fine :-) means you can house them alone easily and cheaply until new homes are found.

Full time home for an adult far too small :-) a couple of weeks for an adult in a cage like this probably wont do any harm but id try to get a better cage asap something with dimensions of 75x40 minimum for an adult

Hope that helps x

KimOrbit
05-21-2012, 07:32 AM
=) thank you so much!! I have found it when I put Hammy inside the cage.

But every time I watch it I think I have missed something!!
ouch! I forgot to say. I am willing to raise all my new hamsters too. I dont want to sell them. :)

Bekki2308
05-21-2012, 07:39 AM
They do need wheels as well though - adults do ... very young babies do not need wheels

You should be looking for much larger boxes if you are keeping them all. No point buying small ones then having to buy much bigger ones later.

75x40cm should be the minimum :-) bigger is better though and buy boxes that can fit 8 inch wheels.

KimOrbit
05-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Well, I have two reasons that I am making 5 small bin cages.

First Of all I am becoming a Hamster sitter (as I am a rabbit sitter now) then I should Have some cages for that.
After that, I wish to become a hamster breeder in summer and It will become my secondary job. then I will need some cages to keep pups in. ;)

Mona's Humans
05-21-2012, 07:47 AM
hamster breeder isn't really a job you make money from :?

If you are hamster sitting i'd recommend bigger as the hamsters will be adults also.

It looks great, if a little small, and if it were me i'd add extra ventilation in, as i think it could get very hot in there very quickly :)

KimOrbit
05-21-2012, 07:51 AM
I am going to add a fan in it :)

And As I said it will become my secondary job. well I love breeding. Its a fantastic Experience. And its enjoyable. Cause as old member remembers Im childless and its the first time that I can feel good after last Christmas.

Mona's Humans
05-21-2012, 07:55 AM
i would avoid the fan idea kim, thats not safe for hams due to the moving parts, and wiring or batteries, and also fans don't create oxygen, they only move air aroung.

I understand you have been told you cant have children and etc, and i'm glad hams make you happy, however, i don't think its a good reason for breeding, and i certainly don't think it can be a job in the sense of making money from it. I personally get much more satisfaction from rescuing hams that desperately need homes and would be mistreated without me, than i ever could from making new ones :)

souffle
05-21-2012, 07:57 AM
It is far too small Kim for anything but a travel box or temporary home. The slots on the side will be big enough for a bored hamster to get it's teeth in to and it will very quickly chew it's way out the box.
If you can get these boxes you should be able to get similar but about three times the size and these would be good. You should not use a fan. It is very dangerous.
Ventilation needs to be very good in plastic boxes as they get all condensed with water easily.
Some good instructions here
Bin Cages Made Easy! - Hamster Central WIKI (http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Bin_Cages_Made_Easy%21)
Is there really a demand for baby hamsters in Iran kim because I really would no recommend you start breeding. It is not something you will make money on and should be done to improve health and temperament not just will nilly.

KimOrbit
05-21-2012, 08:00 AM
:) that's true!! I love adopting too! Kimmy was adopted by me. :) And In our hamster NGO (group) I am the one who becomes volunteer to take care of sick hams :) thats fantastic.

and you know, Im not thinking about making money!! I can make enough money with computer programming. :)

KimOrbit
05-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Soufle, thank you so much about hints and the links. I will read through it soon. ;)

Well, In our NGO there are people who are willing to buy baby hamsters. cause they are easy to train.

kyrilliondaemon
05-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Kim, firstly the concerns raised by others are really good points. If you add a bit more ventillation (maybe put some mesh in the lid?) they will make lovely travel boxes for taking them to the vet. I'd want bigger for a hamster to live in though, even short term.

Also please, please reconsider the idea of breeding. If I were you I'd do a lot more learning before breeding again. If you learn more the babies will be able to be more fit and healthy and will make much better pets, it will just mean waiting longer before starting to breed seriously. Surely its worth waiting a while to help your hamsters produce much better babies for you to sell as pets?

mangoandmimi
05-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Sure, there might be a high demand for hamsters, i mean when people look at the photos 'AWW, CUUTE, I WANT ONE!' is the first thought entering their head. You need good homes lined up, before you breed :)

KimOrbit
05-21-2012, 10:27 AM
hmm, thank you for the suggestion. I have thought about breeding and Im going not to let Kimmy get pregnant again. I will start researching on breeding both dwarfs and Syrians.

after that I will start buying around 50 Hamsters and then I can choose the best choices to mate. surely I will come here and seek help in that case ;) cause I dont want to make lives without thinking.

even If I have become the best breeder In the world I will ask again, cause Its good to ask others. maybe you have lost some points that others can show it to you ;)

Bekki2308
05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Why do you need to buy 50 hamsters? Surely you should just find a reputable breeder even if it means a long drive to find some good stock.

KimOrbit
05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
=)) that was joking!! I was meaning that I will buy some hamsters

kyrilliondaemon
05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Kim, please, please do not joke about things like this. When breeding you should research everything before breeding. Then you should decide why you're breeding and what you want to breed (e.g I know someone who is breeding syrians for the colour ivory), find a good vet (who is definetly a good vet, I'm afraid your hamsters could benefit from a better one than the one you took Kimmy to), make sure you've got absolutely everything ready, and then look very, very carefully for a good place to buy the two hamsters you wish to breed. If there is any chance of the hamsters being related you will need to get them from different places too. Then you should raise them carefully, watching for signs that will tell you if they will be good to breed or not, and only breed when at the correct ages.
If you do things differently you risk the health of all the hamsters involved, so please do not buy more than two at once.

GemmasMom
05-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Kim, it sounds like you have great intentions to breed. I think everyone else knows that you love your hamsters and want what's best for them :) Maybe if you could hold off just a few more months or even a year until you breed again, you could shadow somebody in your hamster group to learn EVERYTHING there is to know about breeding and gather some tips. You could help another breeder determine different possibilities for babies based on mom and dad and learn a lot, then you could be an even better breeder :) I know you have a big heart and now you have a lot on your plate with the babies, so maybe you could just take a step back for a bit and learn a little more from an experienced breeder before you begin your great adventure :)

Vicki S
05-21-2012, 01:10 PM
it's not fair to buy a hammie and make it push out babies for the rest of its life it would be better off if you opened the door and let it run free in that case

This breeding session went well but you can't guarantee the next will turn out so well please listen to the others there here trying to help you and to let you understand why they are saying it please take advice as something is going to go horribly wrong

Vicki

Charley101
05-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Hmm, this thread make me feel a bit sad to be honest. Breeding should never be taken lightly and you should know actually what is involved before you attempt it.

cathface
05-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Hmm, this thread make me feel a bit sad to be honest. Breeding should never be taken lightly and you should know actually what is involved before you attempt it.

I completely agree with this. :(

student1304
05-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Kim, I keep seeing your posts regarding breeding and they annoy me and upset me again and again.
Mainly because you fail to take the advice of the many experienced people advising you not to breed.
You obviously haven't researched the topic thouroughly enough, which is shown by the questions you keep asking.
50 hamsters? NO NO NO
Breeding as a job? Once again NO
Breeding because it's fun? NO
I understand you may be going through a hard time and hamsters are making you feel better, and you are entitled to that..provided that you are caring for them and not extorting/harming them with breeding which you clearly are.
You don't even know how to ham sit properly as you've pointed out by thinking you can keep them in that small cage with no toys/entertainment.
I would quite like it if you was banned seem as you upset/annoy half of the people on here by your ignorance and you clearly aren't getting the message.
Sorry if this offends (sorry mods - remove if you feel the need) but maybe you need some harsh words in order to understand just how very wrong you are.

Charley101
05-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Full time home for an adult far too small :-) a couple of weeks for an adult in a cage like this probably wont do any harm but id try to get a better cage asap something with dimensions of 75x40 minimum for an adult

Personally, feel that a few days for an adult would be too long as there is no space for a decent wheel. For one night would be okay though. But a 70 cm x 40cm bin would be a lot better :)

KimOrbit
05-22-2012, 12:50 AM
student1304, Thank you for the reply. I always said a true friend will make you cry. well you are right. I ignored everyone here and done my work, but it was under pressure of loosing my boy friend in an accident, which made me unable to think carefully.

Well, as I have made every one sad here, I wont wait for the ban. I will leave this web site (as many of you wish) just after I take Kimmy and pups to a breeder. Thats my response to others and as I have said many times, I dont want to disturb any one.

Well, Just to make you happy, I have removed Idea of breeding from my mind Only cause now I feel I am too silly to do that. It was a mistake done by me and I wont do this again.
I have made an appointment with the best Hamster Breeder of Iran and I will have a trip to Tehran to see him. As he said he can take care of the babies and mother which I have made a horrible life for them.
I think even taking care of Hammy is not my right because my lack of response, But Hammy is used to me and When He doesn't see me for 2 days he gets sick (as he did 2 times) then I can't sell him.
Hammy will be my first and last Hamster in my hole life.

Then Every thing will go fantastic. An experienced breeder will look after Kimmy and 5 pup and I will try to make the best life I can for Hammy.

Thank you for opening my eyes. Now I can see details.

KimOrbit
05-22-2012, 01:01 AM
I want just say "Good bye HamsterCentral" thank you for advises and Hints. And please forgive me because I disturbed all of you and made you annoyed.

souffle
05-22-2012, 02:20 AM
It is up to you Kim what you decide and I wish you well in whatever the future holds for you.
I appreciate the fact you have decided not to breed now and hope you stand by your word. I would suggest you wait till the pups are older before transferring them elsewhere as the stress of a long journey will be too much.
This thread is closed to prevent further upset.