PDA

View Full Version : what is the rex gene?

Matty Day
03-19-2008, 04:12 AM
i thought id ask this questoin as this gene baffles me and it might be somthing to consider for future littersand lines :x

PKK
03-19-2008, 05:37 AM
Rex is a coat type like long hair. It's recessive like long hair. It makes the whiskers and hair curly.

Mollz
03-19-2008, 09:59 AM
This explains it pretty comprehensively matty http://www.geocities.com/calhamassoc/Rex.html
I have to say that a Rex is on my wish list - I would love to have one as part of my hamstery one day ... I don't know if anybody breeds them though!

Bunsey
03-19-2008, 01:05 PM
i've never even SEEN a rex! is there even a class for them?

i'd love satin and bandeds in my hamstery, but i don't think many people breed bandeds as they are so randomised and hit & miss.

Gust0o
03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
I got all excited when it was suggested that Harry might well be a Rex... but, alas, no curly whiskers; though a definite suggestion there's Rex somewhere in his make-up!

souffle
03-19-2008, 01:18 PM
There are quite a few rexes around and I think Sheryl has one and Jean has a few. They do not go in a separate class but just go in either SH or LH depending on what they are. I would like to see a LH satin Rex. I bet they are frizzballs :shock:

Spuds Mum
03-19-2008, 02:04 PM
I would like to see a LH satin Rex. I bet they are frizzballs :shock:

Isnt it strange different perceptions Souff? I can imagine them looking like real scruffs, and the thought just doesn't appeal to me at the moment! Mind you, I am currently in love with very sleek short hairs, so it may just be my current mindset and I reserve the right to fall in love with them at a future stage! :x

Gust0o
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
From what I can gather, the "frizzballs" description is very accurate - by all accounts it takes a lot to prepare a Rex for show, owing to the nature of the coat; making them quite a challenge.

As I muttered a few times at Topcliffe, I have no idea how Harry would fit in amongst such beautiful hamsters - partly the reason we didn't bring him; however, if he's anything to go by, they would have some amazing coats for a companion animal.

He may not be tidy, but he's certainly very cuddly - I can imagine this applying very nicely to a LH Rex :)

Bourne Valley Hams
03-19-2008, 05:09 PM
I would like to see a LH satin Rex. I bet they are frizzballs :shock:

LH Satin rexes tend not to be all that impressive sadly. I have had a few and they do just look a mess. Their fur does tend to be rather thin, both from the satin and the rexing so not as plush and frizzy as you might think.
It is really hard to get a rex that still looks good beyond about 6 months of age.