PDA

View Full Version : Cheap DIY toys?

Amanda_L
05-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Can anyone suggest some inexpensive, entertaining toys I could make for my Syrian? She is extremely picky about things she likes and things she doesn't and I'm tired of spending money on stuff she doesn't play with. I'd love to make some things myself, but I'm not sure what to try.

http://s14.postimage.org/ij5lzi0a9/P5158982.jpg

gutterglitterxx
05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
My Cheeto's favorite is her toilet paper roll. I fold in the ends and put food inside of it. She loves ripping it apart to get to the goodies.

Cupcake
05-15-2012, 07:55 PM
My Cheeto's favorite is her toilet paper roll. I fold in the ends and put food inside of it. She loves ripping it apart to get to the goodies.

That does sound like a great idea! :shock:

As for other DIY toys, depends on how skilled you are when it comes to it and how much time you want to invest. You can always check online for all sorts of "playgrounds" made out of wood, with ladders and tunnel and you can make one :)
I plan on doing one soon as I just finished building my ham's house

jelarsen
05-15-2012, 08:07 PM
I have a syrian also I bring mine to college and I steal my friend old tissue boxes for her to jump in she really destroys them or will just go take a nap in I have a little fence so ill fence her in my closet so she can run around and play on the floor as I study but she enjoys little paper tents toilet paper rolls tissue boxes crumpled up balls of paper (really anything she can chew on she is happy with lol ) ill upload a pic if I can, im kinda computer special o and peach has a teddy bear lol she likes to attack him.

jelarsen
05-15-2012, 08:15 PM
not really do it urself but she enjoys them. Hope this helped

Amanda_L
05-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Great pictures! Thanks, everyone

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
05-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Jenga has always been a huge hit with my hams! I've made climbing frames, slides, sofas and several other things out of Jenga which I buy cheaply in my local charity shop. Just make sure you use strong non-toxic glue :)

Some of the thing I made are in the attic at the moment, here are the things I could find to show you :)
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/399097_3836934289307_1456474840_3450198_56187867_n .jpg

Amanda_L
05-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Erin, those toys are great! Did you have an older thread about Jenga blocks? I saw one from someone last night and whipped this together with my hot glue gun.

When I have more blocks, I'm definitely going to use them.

http://s13.postimage.org/tl2p0hriv/5050847187075_ORIG_2.jpg

kyrilliondaemon
05-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Also not DIY but for cheap and surprisingly liked by our fussy syrian (Scamp ignores most of her toys), theres something in Poundland called "Construction kit" or "Build kit" and it comes in three choices. The good one is red/blue/green/yellow squares and triangles and big hexagons or octagons (can't remember which) and two sets of that let me build a big football type thing that Scamp adores. No idea why when she ignores most of her toys but she sits in that, climbs on it, moves it around... You'd almost think she actually likes toys lol
We used the smaller bits mostly for our dwarves but they could be used for some stuff for a syrian as long as you didn't expect the syrian to get inside whatever smaller stuff you built (only the biggest bits have space for a syrian to climb through).

jelarsen
05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Aw the jenga is so cute I think i might do that! Erin for the blue did you use paint or something else?

Amanda_L
05-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Also not DIY but for cheap and surprisingly liked by our fussy syrian (Scamp ignores most of her toys), theres something in Poundland called "Construction kit" or "Build kit" and it comes in three choices. The good one is red/blue/green/yellow squares and triangles and big hexagons or octagons (can't remember which) and two sets of that let me build a big football type thing that Scamp adores. No idea why when she ignores most of her toys but she sits in that, climbs on it, moves it around... You'd almost think she actually likes toys lol
We used the smaller bits mostly for our dwarves but they could be used for some stuff for a syrian as long as you didn't expect the syrian to get inside whatever smaller stuff you built (only the biggest bits have space for a syrian to climb through).

I wonder if we have an equivalent of this in the U.S.? I googled it but can't find anything. My syrian is SO fussy. She doesn't like much of anything except getting out of the cage.

kyrilliondaemon
05-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Sorry... Really didn't realise the location :(
Its actually not called that anyway, my OH kept the box and its actually "Funtastic Construction Puzzle" which probably still won't get any google results :(
Its basically like puzzle playground but with three shapes of pieces which I think is why it got Scamps attention. Not sure you have puzzle playground either but that will get results for you to see what I'm on about :) Its basically absurdly cheap but works surprisingly well as a hamster toy - and was so cheap we didn't care if they all ignored it lol