PDA

View Full Version : Meet Topaz

Spuds Mum
03-16-2008, 03:48 PM
At Topcliffe show yesterday I picked up my new golden girl from Carrington Hamsters who we have named Topaz. Her sister, Wesley has been introduced by Gust0o, and HC's Yaffle picked up another sister! She is already totally tame, and can't wait to come out and have a play. She is already a joy, and will I'm sure be another welcome addition to our brood! :x
(I've realised tonight I also haven't introduced Tabasco - from Yaffle's litter - but its late and work tomorrow - so excuse us if we introduce him tomorrow :wink: )

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_topaz_001.jpg

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_topaz_002.jpg

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_topaz_003.jpg

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_topaz_004.jpg

Oh and as a finale - see the headlines - "Homer Simpson ate my hamster" lol
http://www.madabouthamsters.com/images/misc/hamster_topaz_005.jpg

Basia
03-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Just, Awww! and I want! :D :D

souffle
03-16-2008, 04:55 PM
BigD is sitting here crooning over her stripes. She is just gorgoeus and comes from a lovely mummy and family. Welcome Topaz :lol:

Bunsey
03-16-2008, 04:58 PM
oh wow, she's so dark!

souffle
03-16-2008, 05:00 PM
She is carrying black Bunsey. Her mum is the blackest black I have ever seen and came second in the whole show yesterday. She is lovely too!

Gust0o
03-17-2008, 06:15 AM
This little one didn't have name when we last met, but Topaz is definitely a good choice - we have some gorgeous sisters here, and I can confirm that Yaffle's is a real beauty also (courtesy of a play at Topcliffe)!

She's absolutely gorgeous - I think we'll all done well from Carrington Hams; a gorgeous family! :)

suga
03-17-2008, 07:00 AM
She's lovely - so dark :-). I've not seen a hamster like that before

Hanlou
03-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Aw, she's a little stunner! :D

What pretty markings she has! Welcome to HC Topaz! :wink:

Holly
03-17-2008, 09:32 AM
She really is a beauty, Teresa - absolutely stunning colours and markings :shock: 8)

I might, one day, have her half brother (God this sounds weird :P ) as Sheryl is "letting me know" (and we all know what that means :oops: ) if there are any black males in the next litter!

jayne
03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh my! She is a beauty! I love her dark colouring, so very different. I feel a hamnapping spree coming on with all these new arrivals!! :lol:

Mollz
03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Wow, Teresa, she is gorgeous!!
What wonderful markings she had and it looks as if she is quite a size already. Love the last picture and quote - maybe we should have a hamster and cartoon character photo contest as that one would deffinately win.

It's great that she is so friendly already and I do love her name :D

Catja
03-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Ooh she's really pretty, can I ask a stupid question - what colour is she as in is she golden or dark golden and what is an umbrous golden.

You can really see she is a stunner though, amazing eyes.

Spuds Mum
03-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Its not a stupid question at all Catja. she is a dark golden which is the 'standard' golden colour now for showing. A golden that is pure, without any other colours is a much more orange colour without such heavy ticking of the fur. My Vala is a pure golden. So although they are genetically only golden with nothing else (and so logic would say they would be nearest to the standard for showing goldens) in actual fact to show well, goldens do better carrying a recessive gene that darkens the colour and adds to the ticking, such as black or dark grey.

So Topaz carries black and this shows in the dark eye rings, and black ticking over the coat. Dark grey does a similar thing.

An umbrous golden carries the U gene, which is sometimes referred to as the 'sooty' gene. it tends to darken and dull any colour (and of course produces the sable when mixed with cream). An umbrous golden wouldnt be good for showing as umbrous tends to affect the whole coat and actually makes all the colours less noticeable as they all appear sooty. So umbrous golden is a non-standard colour. That said I personally like the look of umbrous golden. It is a dusky golden colour that sort of washes out the normal colours!
:D

Hope that makes sense - but ask me to clarify if not! :wink:

nooboo
03-17-2008, 02:00 PM
seems a good explanation to me...others even add cinnie to improve the orangyness!

beautiful little hamster, i just know she will grow into a great big show girl!

congrats

lau200
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
what a lovely hamster and stunning markings too :D

hammyman4747
03-17-2008, 02:27 PM
I love her markings! They are very attractive!!

Gust0o
03-18-2008, 03:47 AM
Now, we just need a golden stud... :D

cloptonite
03-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Wow, she is a real beauty!
She is the sort of hamster that clearly demonstrates the difference between a " normal " ham, and one with outstanding breeding.She has a really pretty face!The colouring is also amazing.I'd love to see her in the flesh.
Congratulations :D