PDA

View Full Version : OK, my turn, here's Uno!

Mollz
03-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Well I can honestly said that I have never had a week moment about getting an animal (i.e. getting one because I just had to), but today I did.
I made the fatal move of looking at the adoption centre in @h and fell in love with a little boy that "nobody wants because he only has one eye". I knew that the chances are that he wouldn't find a home and would be "put to sleep", so went home and thought about it for a while, with help from you guys as usual, and here we are with a gorgeous mink/dove banded boy with one eye who is very cute.
I managed to snap a few pics:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2339.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2336.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2335.jpg

He is fine with being stroked and doesn't jump at noises, sniffs my hands and doesn't really bit (nibbled me a bit), but goes absolutey beserk when I try to pick him up. And I mean mad, he bit me so hard that I just couldn't get it to stop bleeding for 10 minutes. So that will be something to work on, I may be joining to taming diary if that is ok. Oh and he loves his wheel.

Any opinions on his colour (I can already hear Julie saying "oh no, not again") will be appreciated!

Basia
03-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Oh Molz, he's absolutely gorgeous and a long-hair. Hope you put plenty of antiseptic on that bite!
I have found it impossible to pick up P@H hamsters when they first arrive, I know Julie's Aero was ok, but none of mine have tolerated it for quite some weeks.
Good luck and what a lucky little man he is to have found board and lodgings with you and Emma. :D
(He looks mink to me).

Mollz
03-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I did put plenty of antiseptic on it, but it doesn't particularly bother me - it's all worth it in the end! Did you find it was best to do lots and lots of handling to try and get them used to it (although I'm not sure that I will be able to pick him us, he just flips about and leaps out of my hands), or take it slowly?

I too think that he looks mink, but can't really see eye rings.

Spuds Mum
03-08-2008, 03:37 PM
God he looks lovely! I think Mink - and I think I can see eye rings. the other thing I think Molly, is that his eye looks just like my mink chips, and it just didn't open properly when she was born - so there may be a chance that a simple op may cure that if he has an eyeball underneath his eyelid (it looks like there may be one I seem to detect a little bulging outwards).

Chips eye op was only £18 (although my vets are known for being reasonable) and though her eyes look uneven still, she has full use of both of them. Something to think about??

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/our_hamsters/chip/chip.html

[/url]

PinkEmily
03-08-2008, 03:47 PM
How adorable! Hes gorgeous Mollz!!

Mollz
03-08-2008, 03:47 PM
God he looks lovely! I think Mink - and I think I can see eye rings. the other thing I think Molly, is that his eye looks just like my mink chips, and it just didn't open properly when she was born - so there may be a chance that a simple op may cure that if he has an eyeball underneath his eyelid (it looks like there may be one I seem to detect a little bulging outwards).

At first glance I thought there was an eye there as well, however there is a deffinate indent where the eye should be, so I am pretty adament that there is nothing there unfortunately. However when I am able to handle him a bit more I will have a closer look and if there is an eye (which I really don't think there is) I will enquire about the op. I can see what you mean about there looking like there is an eye between the eyelids, but it would have to be really indented if there was one there.

I just can't believe that he has been there so long, he just has the cutest little face. The poor little mite.

PinkEmily
03-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Omg Chip looks soo funny covered in green, looks like she enjoyed that!

Sounds like there may be some hope for Uno, if he has the same problem as Chip.

Basia
03-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Animals do manage very well with just one eye, he has never known any different probably.
Molz, I did lots of stroking and letting them run on my lap. I used a ball or an ice-cream tub to pick them out of the cage and put them back, they can never seem to resist going in either. They do calm down eventually but it did take me about 3 months to get my two able to be picked up easily and Sid is still inclined to jump if I'm not careful. Of course, I still can't pick Basil up. :? Peaches was taming really well though. I only had her 11 days and I could stroke her and she would come to me and climb out of her cage onto my lap. I had just started to pick her up but she was very jumpy but I don't think it would have taken very long to get her used to it.
Good luck.

Mollz
03-08-2008, 04:05 PM
It's really strange/ I can stroke him with ease and he is really calm and not at all jumpy, just he freaks when picked up!

Basia
03-08-2008, 04:08 PM
With Peaches I just kept closing my hand around her as if I was going to pick her up and she freaked too. After a few days she was getting to accept it though. I'm sure you will get him lovely and tame in no time. Remember he has probably had virtually no human contact so the fact that he lets you stroke him is a very good sign.
Basil used to scream if we even spoke to him.

Jessalina
03-08-2008, 05:34 PM
He's lovely :) I'm glad he has a proper home now where he'll get the care he deserves.

It's really strange/ I can stroke him with ease and he is really calm and not at all jumpy, just he freaks when picked up!

I've found it's the same with Nessa, who's also from Pets at Home, but we've already made progress, tonight I picked her up with little struggle and she was still for, oh, almost five seconds before deciding she'd had enough :lol: Still, a massive improvement! I'm sure he will come round very quickly with a little TLC which he'll undoubtedly get :)

I_am_plankton
03-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Congratulations Mollz on rescuing! He is a lovely boy, and I expect will tame lovely with lots of persistence and patience :)

Was your mum egging you on to get him too or was she taking the approach that she doesn't like them lol?

suga
03-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Too cute - can see why you had to bring the little one home. Hope to see you on the taming diary soon :wink:

Holly
03-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Oh Mollz, he is absolutely adorable - it's a good thing he was at your P@H, if he'd been at ours I don't think I'd have resisted him either :wink:

I agree with Teresa, he looks Mink to me - quite a bit more beige than grey. When you can look more closely take a look at his roots and see if they are cream, I also think I can see an eye-ring.

I also think his eye looks incredibly like Chip's and my first thought was what if it just hasn't opened - obviously you are closer but I think the eyelids, when closed, sort of squash the eyes down so that might account for the indentation?

As for taming, I'd get him to hop into a ball or other little container (they always do that, they can't seem to resist) and I'd take him to a dry bath. Then you can get in with him and get him used to walking on you, keep stroking him and then gradually close your hand around him like you are going to pick him. Will always puts his hand as like a "lift" for the nervous ones to climb down off his or my lap and that seems to help as well.

Good luck, I'm sure he'll tame nicely.

jayne
03-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Aww, little Uno is absolutely adorable :D
I am sure he will flourish in your care and will in time love getting cuddles :P
What a sweet little guy!

souffle
03-09-2008, 06:15 AM
That is one gorgeous hammy you have there. It does look like the eyelids are fused but if you cannot see the eye then it is possible the there was an eye injury as a baby and the eye shrivelled with the eyelid fusing over the socket which is the best thing for it. It looks well anyway. I am sure he will be tame in a short time and have a long and happy life with you. Well done for following your heart Mollz :lol:
I would say Mink too!

Hanlou
03-09-2008, 08:27 AM
He's beautiful Mollz. :D

Really lovely. I'm so glad you have him! I'm not surprised you took him, he is a little sweetie.

Ouch about the bite though - isn't it amazing how much little teeth can hurt?! John managed to knock over the Spiny Mice tank yesterday...... :roll: ........ he caught one of them in a tube with his hand covering the end and very predictably Oscar bit him for his trouble! (Both meeces and tank are fine, by the way!) But John says it's still throbbing today. I did point out that he would probably feel like biting someone if his house had come crashing to the ground.... which he had to admit was true.

I'm sure Uno will settle with time though, bless him. I guess he has to learn to trust you and I feel sure that this will come with time. :)

Welcome to the forum Uno xx

Catja
03-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Isn't he gorgeous and I am sure you will soon have him tamed, all pets@home hamsters are the same, Baron VM has been here a week now and is taming up nicely so it won't be long before Uno is tame too

Mollz
03-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm so happy I followed my heart. I know that if I hadn't then I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself. I will let you know how it all goes tonight.

Re the bite, it didn't really hurt at the time and I know it is all worth it anyway. However, I'm slightly concerned as it is very swollen! Never mind :roll:

Holly
03-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Oh dear, Mollz. On a positive note (being and A&E nurse!) hamster bites are far less likely to get infected than most other animal bites (our lovely clean hammies :wink: ).

Some swelling is to be expected - it's the body's response to an injury - however if it goes red, pussy or if the joint nearest the bite becomes swollen and difficult to move you need to seek medical advice. My bite from Molly a few weeks ago did swell up initially but then healed fine - hope yours is the same.

Mollz
03-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Well, I've now realised that I shouldn't have been so stupid as to try and pick him up out of the carrier and should have just let him crawl out into the cage. He is so gentle and hasn't even shown any inclination to biting me this evening. I just should have known better :roll:

I've had him in the bath and in the playpen on the floor and we have made so much progress, it's unreal! Although he still doesn't like being picked up, I have picked him up about 20 times, to which he normally just leaps straight off - BUT on two occasions he has actually walked from hand to hand for about a minute. I'm so pleased that he has progressed this far in just a day, even if it doesn't seem much.

Catja
03-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Awwh I think he knows he is in safe hands now Mollz :lol:

Nicolapompicola
03-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Aww, what an adorable little fella! i wonder what it is with P@H hammies that makes them hate being picked up?

Mollz
03-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh, what i also meant to say is that I am 99% positive that there is no eye there and that the eyelids have just sealed shut after an injury. It's a shame really, it would have been nice to get him sorted out - but he is doing so well without the eye that I'm not sure if I would have put him through the stress of an op for nothing!

Aww, what an adorable little fella! i wonder what it is with P@H hammies that makes them hate being picked up?

I think it's just the fact that they are never picked up. The person serving me was terrified of the hamsters and said that all syrians are evil :roll: I corrected her - but she wouldn't listen!

Gust0o
03-09-2008, 12:27 PM
We've had this discussion elsewhere, and it certainly varies between stores - they are well-handled in York, and are all lovely and tame when people come to view them.

After all, tame sells!

I would name-and-shame the sales person - I don't think that's an appropriate comment from someone who should know better.

Uno is absolutely gorgeous - what a great little chap!

I want more pics :D

Bunsey
03-09-2008, 01:14 PM
he's gorgeous! what a shame, i bet that was caused because P@H don't separate their syrians soon enough. the other day i saw 2 fighting and biting each other. it's so sad :cry:

Mollz
03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Wish granted Gus:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2342.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2344.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2347.jpg

I just had to take some more pictures - showing how he's almost totally reformed. He walked between my hands for around 10 minutes and then stopped for a wash, so cute! Still not keen on being picked up, but doesn't jump or anything and no sign of biting - he is such a sweetie, he must have just been really scared yesterday the poor mite.

After looking very closely I can see that there is such a huge indent where his "missing" eye should be that there is no possible way that there is an intact eye is there. You may be able to see in the pictures that there is a small bit of red - do you think this is a scab or a bit of squashed eye?

Bunsey: I thought the same thing about how he lost his eye - why can't they just have more common sense :roll:

Spuds Mum
03-09-2008, 02:08 PM
He really is a darling Mollz, and you have done so well with the taming (hope the finger has stopped throbbing). I'm sure you will have no problems from now on.

I think the little bit of red is just maybe where the eyelids are healing together. As long as it doesn't become inflamed or sticky you shouldn't have any problems I wouldn't think.

He will be a much loved part of Alphabet I am sure :x

Mollz
03-09-2008, 02:15 PM
He will be a much loved part of Alphabet I am sure :x

Believe me, he already is.

I'm really not sure why, but I just seem to have a connection with him. He already has a special place in my heart.

Gust0o
03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm always wishing for more pics; am happy I've found someone to indulge me! :D

He looks fantastic, and not at all afraid - I was hoping to post an update on my own efforts with Harry, and I know rewarding it can be when you make that connection with the animal!

Did they ask for a donation, or were they happy for you to take as-is? That didn't come across the best, but you know what I mean!

I love his banding - and the long-hair!

Gust0o
03-09-2008, 03:19 PM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2347.jpg

Does anyone else reckon he looks a little like Colombo, or is it just me?

Basia
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Well done Molz, he's really coming along well and he looks very happy there sitting on your hand. He really is a lovely colour and coat.
(My hamster bites have really throbbed for a few days but they have all healed up without medical intervention. Hope yours does too).

Catja
03-10-2008, 07:14 AM
That is so cute :lol: Know what you mean about bonding, us and Desi and Bonaparte are just the same

Mollz
03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Gus: It's sort of viewed as compulsory and i donated £2. So if it does goe to charity (like it is supposed to, although I am a bit suspicious as it went stright in the till when there was a charity box right next to me) then I know I have donated a bit. If not, then it's not that much anyway.

That is so cute :lol: Know what you mean about bonding, us and Desi and Bonaparte are just the same
It does seem to be the ones that you have to work with are the ones who you bond with the most!

Gust0o
03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I daren't go and view the adoption centre, just in case, so am still learning about it!

Bourne Valley Hams
03-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I can see that you will soon have him tame enough to enter the Pet Class Molly - there are no eye (or lack of eye) restrictions in that class so once he is fit, healthy and tame we will expect to see him at a show!

Mollz
03-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Right well, he is so tame that it's silly now and much slower than my other, older hamsters. I had a very long cuddle tonight and got to look at his eye very closely and am now quite concerned. I managed to take this picture:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/UnoEyeCroppedandZoomed.jpg
What does it look like to you? Do you think it just looks like it is naturally healing or like something is wrong?

One thing I am certain of is that I am cross with p@h. Although I was told he has no eye, I was not informed that it was a fresh injury (which it certainly looks to me) and surely if it is fresh then he should still be having treatment on it? I am considering writing and complaining, although they will just tell me to take him back like he is an old sock or something :roll: But I may suggest that they need to train their staff and not to sell animals until truly fit.

Do you think he needs to see a vet, or should I leave it a while and see how it looks in a few days?

The worst thing is that I have been really impressed with my local p@h recently - why did they have to ruin it?

souffle
03-10-2008, 03:10 PM
I think he needs to see a vet to check it Mollz. It looks to me as if he has had an eye and an injury has caused it to rupture and the eye has now shrivelled back in to the socket. It may just heal up but if there was any infection inside it would need drops or the vet may need to remove the eye and stitch the socket to stop any other infection. Good luck little man.

Spuds Mum
03-10-2008, 03:21 PM
yes that doesn't look like a healing eye to me now we can see it up close, it does look like quite a fresh injury, and should be treated.

I would suggest that rather than taking him back, you get your Mum to ring the manager of the store and complain, and at least get their agreement to pay for the cost of the vets treatment. He should have had that whilst in their care anyway.

Poor little man. It does look sore. Hope it soon gets better.

souffle
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I am glad he is in your safe hands Mollz. Is there a vet surgery at your P@H? There is at ours and if they have one they may offer to treat him there. If not you should get receipts for the care needed and submit them to P@H for a refund. My guess is that they simply did not recognise that this was an injury as they did not handle him closely enough to find out. It is not an uncommon injury and most hammies will do very well as I am sure he will. Yes I would get your mum to help you with this one with regard to ensuring they pay for his treatment. I have heard of quite a few people who have had this refunded no trouble so hopefully they will not question it. I would not on any account hand him back for treatment though. You would be better to consult your own vet then approach them with the diagnosis. I wish him all the very best and a speedy recovery.

nooboo
03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
my lovely hamster cecil only has one eye. he at a young age popped one out pushing his head through his bars, we found him quite quickly with one dangling out, quick trip to the vet and all they could do was remove it and give some baytrill to stop infection, i was told that to try and cleanse the socket would only introduce infection. so all in all was less worrying than it could of been but ended the show career of my smoke pearl! he just had baytrill drops orally, and was fighting fit really even when it had just happened.

it totally terrified me, we had only had him just under a week from sheryl, and to find him like that... i have never had a hamster do it or heard of it, but he obviously put his head way too far through and didnt have the sense to stop! almost put me off of anything with wire bars at all, but ventilation from holes in plastic alone is not so easy.

i must point out though that his eyelids looked totally fine, as he had popped it out, bu your little guys lids look harmed....

thinking of getting a picture of cecils eye close up but at the moment he is at sheryls! will try and get a picture over the weekend...though i guess by then its a bit late, but still might be a useful comparison?

Mollz
03-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Ok, thanks everyone - especially Noo as I was considering bathing it. I was looking at him closely last night and trying to see how painful it is and the eye seems to be totally pain free.
There is a vets at our p@h, so I will get mum to give them a ring tonight, we have already emailed customer services as it is just not right that they should let a hamster go to it's new hom like this without even warning us. Just thank God he came to us.

I think you misunderstood me a bit, I wasn't considering taking him back - I'm just sure that is what they will tell me to do. And I wont give him back to the store for treatment, I'll either get him treated at our vets or at theirs, but they're not having him back.

I will await a reply from the customer services manager, and get my mum to phone up tonight and then go about sorting out a vets appointment. Do you think it is serious enough to need one now. As I would rather leave it just a few more days for him to settle, he is still so new.

Thanks again though.

souffle
03-11-2008, 01:45 AM
No, no Mollz I never thought for a moment you would give him back :oops: What I meant was don't give them to their vets to 'keep in' and treat in case you never see the little guy again as I know that is often what they will ask you to do. Get any medication and say you will treat him at home. I know he is still settling but to be honest I really would take him in just in case there is any infection. The eye socket is very near the brain with direct connection so any problems could become serious quickly. This is a precaution though as I think it does look very clean and healthy so he may need nothing at all. Noo's hamster got some drops to make sure so I would think Uno might get the same.

Holly
03-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Everyone else has it covered really, Mollz so there's not much for me to add. As souffle says don't leave him at P@H for "treatment" whatever you do, if their vet agrees to look at him and he/she thinks drops are fine then good but, as the others have said, I wouldn't leave him there.

If there is no vet surgery then you/your mum definitely need to push for them to pay for treatment (on principle - that's what they should do). Whether they will or not is a different matter but if Teresa's operation on Chip is anything to go by it shouldn't be *too* expensive anyway.

Thank God he's got you - a lot of people would just take him back and we all know what would likely happen to him then :(

Mollz
03-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, mum phoned p@h earlier and basically they said that they would not treat him without an overnight stay. Why on earth do they need an overnight stay, if they're not going to do something to him.

However, the vets that are in p@h are the ones that I have used for years and they got the vet that treated him to talk to mum on the phone and they assured that he was totally healthy, had had some antibiotics and that it is just the healing process. Now I trust these vets - so do you think I should believe them (they are a seperate company from p@h and our family have used them for around 25 years for dogs and cats)? The worst thing is that his eye looks so much better today (the redness has totally dissapeared and to be honest it looks totally healthy), that I am sure that I made it worse by messing with him, trying to get a good look and a picture :?

We always have money saved up for vets - so please don't think I am worried about the money, as I am most deffinately not. It's just that he is so healthy, so happy, I have a vet's word that he is healing up just fine and we have made so much progress. Do you think it would be OK to leave him a few days and see how it is, or deffinately take him now. I feel so silly as they eye itself is looking so much better - I'm sure I must have made it worse :( I will try to get a picture to show you, but that is easier said than done. If you guys think he does still need an appointment then I am going to have to think carefully about the vets as the ones I have always used are the ones that have already treated and cleared him - but they have always been so good!

P.S. Teresa, I don't know how the prices are so cheap up by you, it will cost us £17 for just the consultation here!

Holly
03-11-2008, 12:14 PM
If you think it's looking better and a vet that you trust assures you he was treated and that this is the healing process I'd go with your instincts and see what happens - just have a very low threshold for seeking a vet opinion if you think it's at all worse.

That's what I'd do but I'm no expert.

souffle
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
That is quite a different situation now Mollz if he has in fact already been treated with antibiotics. If you are happy that it seems clean and well healed then I would wait. If you notice anything developing then you can get him straight in so it won't be like you would have to wait ages in this instance. Does the eye open or stay closed? Can he blink? I know your judgement will be right as you have him there and can see better than us Mollz so trust your instincts.

Spuds Mum
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Mollz,
I would trust the vet, if you have had a long association with him and what he says seems right, ie the eye seems much better today to be honest. Maybe it was still 'knitting' together and just looked sore yesterday.

I'm so glad he is with you, and I'm sure he will make your worry now so worthwhile in the love you will share in your time together.

I know I am very lucky in my vets prices - its just that surgery to be honest, and they are great but not open Saturdays - when we took Bramble just for a mite injection to another surgery (long story why and boring) it cost us over £20 for the same injection that cost £6 at ours!

nooboo
03-11-2008, 12:20 PM
cost us around the 15-17 quid mark for the vet trip with cecil, so seems similar prices!

if you touched prodded etc the eye it would explain it looking red, but if you where only holding the hamster then...i dunno, part of me also worries if something got in it that then needs more antibiotics, that said cecil has an empty socket and has had no issues after his few days on meds....

if he has been seen by a vet and has had antibiotics i would be tempted to leave it and see ow he does, simply as being on a journey could aggravate things....its just a case of you trusting it was a vet you spoke to and they where being honest.

Mollz
03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok thanks, that is what I thought - but I will keep a very close watch on him and if it appears worse again then I will get him to the vet asap. I will especially look out for weeping and more redness. I just don't understand how it can look so different in a matter of 24 hours?

The eye appears to be always closed and I have never seen it move (i.e. blink). As far as I can see it is just a closed socket with the eye lids clamed over it, giving an indented effect. Is there a reason why you asked?
If I can get an updated picture without stressing him out and getting too close to his eye (I zoomed in after the picture was taken yesterday so will try the same today) then I deffinately will - as the difference is astounding.

There is a specialist small animal vet, (more expensive but I guess they are more knowledgable?), and if it gets worse I think I will take him to them. It will be worth the extra couple of pound to know that he is getting the best treatment.

Mollz
03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
cost us around the 15-17 quid mark for the vet trip with cecil, so seems similar prices!

if you touched prodded etc the eye it would explain it looking red, but if you where only holding the hamster then...i dunno, part of me also worries if something got in it that then needs more antibiotics, that said cecil has an empty socket and has had no issues after his few days on meds....

if he has been seen by a vet and has had antibiotics i would be tempted to leave it and see ow he does, simply as being on a journey could aggravate things....its just a case of you trusting it was a vet you spoke to and they where being honest.

I do know what you mean and was still a bit dubious until I saw how different he looked today. I will double check what it was that he said to mum when she comes back in. I'm still cautious and I hate leaving an ill animal so will react the instant something looks wrong. In fact, I may just book him in in a few days anyway, just as a precautionary check over.

Do you all think this is the right or wrong thing to do?

Spuds Mum
03-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Mollz, your instincts are sound my love, you are doing marvelously. I would just wait and see, and make an appointment at the first sign of something you are concerned with, but don't mess the poor wee chap about any more than he needs to be at the moment.

Whatever you decide will be right for him. You are 'on hand' and can see him in person, so as long as he seems happy and bright and there doesn't seem to be any soreness or infection, then I am sure he will be fine. :D

souffle
03-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I just wondered if he could blink because I would imagine if he could open the eye it would be easier for something to poke in and maybe hurt it again if he had no sight there to avoid bumping things. It seems the body does the right thing though and seals the eye shut. If you would like the reassurance of a check up then maybe next week you could book him in to put your mind at rest. By then he is likely to be well settled.

Mollz
03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Thank you. I think I am doing the right thing (and I have to say that mum does too), but am the kind of person that needs reassurance in making decisions.

Souffle, I may do as you say and book an appointment for next week if there is any sign of soreness in the remainder of this week.

Thank you all so much for being patient and helping me out. I know that it must be tedious with me asking all the same questions. I just don't want to do the wrong thing, and don't want you guys to think that I am doing the wrong thing.
What would I do without you all?

souffle
03-11-2008, 12:44 PM

Oh no not another question from Mollz :wink:

Not at all Mollz. We are more than happy to give our thoughts and I am glad you feel able to ask.

Mollz
03-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Oh no not another question from Mollz :wink:

Not at all Mollz. We are more than happy to give our thoughts and I am glad you feel able to ask.

Lol, that one was rhetorical though :D

Spuds Mum
03-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Oh! A quiz! I know the answer to this one.....
hmm - get your homework done on time, or
get out and see your friends, or
tidy your room without having to get off the PC, or
play all night with your hamsters!

That's what you'd do without us all to distract you!

:P :x

You carry on making use of us Mollz, we do the same with you dont we? :D

Mollz
03-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, I've had my baby out for a big snuggle tonight and I already love the little chap so much. I just thought I would show you some pictures so that you can see the difference between today and yesterday. Unfortunately I couldn't get one that was clear and as close as yesterday. But here they are:
This was yesterday
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/UnoEyeCroppedandZoomed.jpg
And this is today
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2371.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2367.jpg
And lastly, the others had porridge so I thought he deserved some too:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/Mollz93/HPIM2372.jpg

Spuds Mum
03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Gosh what a difference! I would agree it looks fine today! Maybe he just slightly opened the eye that was healing, because of his excitement in his new surroundings etc.

I would definitely give him the porridge too, all my youngsters get it to help them grow nice and strong.

We are on Tofu tonight! :D

Mollz
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
We are on Tofu tonight! :D
Do you find they like it? I might put some on the shopping list if they do!

I'm glad you think it's different too, and I'm not just going mad :D

Spuds Mum
03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes they love it, and it can be frozen too, so although I use a whole pack, if you had less hams you could freeze unused bit.

I give them all about a 1cm square chunk. And dont know if the offer is still on, but Morrison's had packs of organic Tofu on BOGOF at 99p a pack (bargain!) :wink:

Gust0o
03-11-2008, 02:26 PM
I saw this on Youtube, on a video posted by one of our members, of their adorable (and rotund!) hammie call Chmurka, who is a massive fan of tofu.

I couldn't believe how absorbed in the tofu this hammie was! :shock:

souffle
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Ours love the tofu too and we cube and freeze little bags of it. The eye looks much more closed tonight as if it is healing over nicely. He has a lovely band there Mollz and is such a soft, teddy bear colour too. I can see Uno is going to be a heartbreaker with our members! :lol:

Mollz
03-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Ours love the tofu too and we cube and freeze little bags of it. The eye looks much more closed tonight as if it is healing over nicely. He has a lovely band there Mollz and is such a soft, teddy bear colour too. I can see Uno is going to be a heartbreaker with our members! :lol:

I'm hoping that he will be ok to bring to Thame to meet any of you that are coming - I know you'll all love hime, he's even softer than he looks.

He had a huge adventure today as the cats managed to hook the lid of his bin cage up and has been asleep under the sofa for the whole day. Thanfully he is totally ok (the cats are scared of hamsters once they are out) adn we have now bought him a bin with clips to clip the lid on. I had a heart attack though, I couldn't bear to lose him!

Basia
03-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Oh Molz - I think he has 9 lives, never mind the cats. Glad you found him and he is ok. He certainly is a character. :D

Holly
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Oh my goodness, glad he's ok :shock:

I'd love to meet him after hearing so much about him - hope his eyes all healed up and he's all settled in and can make the trip, bless him.

Matty Day
03-12-2008, 10:52 AM
id love to meet him to after the show you can handle louis to if you like ( same goes to anyone else)

Mollz
03-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I know, I think my scream may have made the neighbours think that I was being murdered or something!! I was so shocked, but he was asleep under the sofa with a little pile of food and poo next to him :roll:

I'm glad everyone wants to meet him, I'm sure that he'll want to meet you too - he seems quite sociable.

I'd love to hold Louis, Matty, especially as I've never even touched a chinese :D

Nicolapompicola
03-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Any updates on little Uno?

Mollz
03-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Any updates on little Uno?

Thanks for asking Nicola, Uno is doing fabulously and is a brilliant little man. He has sttled down fabulously and is a so slow and lovely. I'm still just so shocked that nobody wanted him!

His eye seems to be healing up nicely, but I will still keep checking on it just in case.

I'll try to get a few more pics tonight when he comes out.

I'm so glad he is with us :D

Nicolapompicola
03-15-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm glad little Uno's feeling better!! He sounds like such an adorable little man! :D

Mollz
03-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure whther to bring the little guy to Thame or not. I know it will be a busy day and I'll be very nervous of putting him down and leaving him at such a big open event and I don't want to scare him either.

However, I would love you guys to see him. Maybe I should wait for a smaller indoor show?