PDA

View Full Version : new hutch for my rabs

couchy
04-19-2012, 01:57 PM
hello as u read on my previous thread there was at one point i wernt b able to keep them but thanks to my partner we are going to P@H tomorrow to buy this lovely thing for the rabbits and also im going to make my own run because im not paying 70 for a run that looks quite small

rabbit hutch (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rose-cottage-hutch-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-pets-at-home-(in-store-only)-29286)

i saw it in the shop today and its massive and its just what i want for them two and they dont even need seporating either :)

so im happy i can finally keep my new friends!

Michelle89
04-19-2012, 02:04 PM
That looks great and itl be nice that they can stay together :)

couchy
04-19-2012, 02:20 PM
yep im landed my partner said he wants the lopy lol so lopy is his and lexi is mine lol there still staying together tho :) its nice because there finally back in my bedroom now haha and they just had a carrot between them and now there both laying down together i will be posting some pix on here soon, tomorrow im sorting out the vets to get them registered

shell1805
04-19-2012, 03:03 PM
what kind of rabbits do you have?? this cage is not that big really if you have 2 of them hun, you could get something a lot bigger for you money elsewhere x

couchy
04-19-2012, 03:09 PM
where if so give the web address, to be honest i do nt know i think they could be dutch x english cross breed all i know they were in P@H and one is a purebreed and the lop eard one is a cross i thinks its dwarf lop cross with dutch i dunno

shell1805
04-19-2012, 03:37 PM
buns have to have 6ft running space from end to end.... they also need to be able to bounce high, as they 'binky' (spring through the air). i have 2 house buns :) they are both 3. if you look up rabbit cage requirements on the net you will ind all you need to know :)

they need a shed or avairy :) and if housed indoors, they needs a massive pen or free range.

good luck with them :) they are gorgeous xxx

couchy
04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
ta i know its got to be 6 x 2 x 2 and ill be making a run and proofing my garden so the rabbits can have the whole garden and i know they need at least 4 - 5 hours of running time and i think to be honest when the do get their new hutch they will be more out of it than in it depending on the weather too so they can come out after food and then go back in when it gets dark or something or 5 hour intavals through out the day

shell1805
04-19-2012, 03:46 PM
as long as you do your research you will be fine.

they cage they are in at the mo is a big no no though :( way too small and they cant be on shavings as they will get breathing issues.

im sure they will have a great home with you :) just read up very carefully, they are a BIG responsibility and aren't cheap. a bun can run into £1000's in their life time and thats just one xxx

couchy
04-19-2012, 03:54 PM
i bet its alot but its nice to have the expierence too i just cant wait to get their new home so they wont be so cramped, the person who give them to me have had them for 8 months but she did tell me that she cleans them every 3 days and has them out and about for about 2 hours and then put back into cage if in work or in bed because shes got little kids too that was one of the reasons why she let them go also as well her cat have had kittens and she have got 2 dogs so it became too much en for her, but other than that they were in brilliant condition when i had them :)

Leesha
04-20-2012, 04:57 AM
Are they spayed/neuterd? This is most important :D prevents fighting and various health issues (e.g. uterine cancer in females), also vaccinations and lots and lots of hay! :D

Maybe you could join rabbits united forum? Shell1805 and myself are members and the advice/knowledge I have been given has been invaluable with having 2 dental bunnies, one of which is deaf :) my outdoor pair are now bonded and have a 6 x 2 x 2 hutch and 6 x 4 run which they can always access, also with a metal run attached for supervised exercise. So as big as you can go for the run the better! Just make sure it's at least 2ft high or more for binkies and periscoping! :D

Can't wait for pictures!! :D

Leesha
04-20-2012, 05:01 AM
Just saw your first thread! You have already joined RU haven't you! I commented on your introduction post :D I'm Aly&Poppy<3 on there :D

Yeah wood shavings aren't great, they can cause respiration problems and are generally messy with some speedy bunnies thrown into the mix! :D

crazygal330
04-20-2012, 06:03 AM
I know it isn't 6ftx2ft, but if you had a nice sized permenantly attached run I think that hutch would be ok for the two of them. Buying hutches is very expensive, and for what it is that is pretty good value. You would spend less and have more space by buying a shed or a childs playhouse for them, but it depends what kind of space you have. If money wasn't an object I would love to buy this for a pair of buns Cat/dog run on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT-HOUSE-AND-RUN-UK-DELIVERY-AVAILABLE-/200737216234?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item2ebcded6ea) :D

couchy
04-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Just saw your first thread! You have already joined RU haven't you! I commented on your introduction post :D I'm Aly&Poppy<3 on there :D

Yeah wood shavings aren't great, they can cause respiration problems and are generally messy with some speedy bunnies thrown into the mix! :D

oooooo hello, :)

here is my hutch we bought today (nightmare to put together) also i had a free big bag of hay too so ill be using that aswell for bedding :)

my hutch (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/hawthorn-lodge-single-hutch-and-double-run-by-pets-at-home-85553)

Bekki2308
04-24-2012, 08:28 AM
A 5ft double tier hutch is fine for two rabbits, in theory its more floor than a 6ft but in reality its not at all but its still fine attached to a 6x4 run and its great!

couchy
04-24-2012, 10:24 AM
the fulll measurments are W120 x H120 x L150cm and they love it :) and they are much better now there not fighting anymore

student1304
04-24-2012, 11:29 AM
that cage is perfectly acceptable for two rabbits. I had a singular cage like that (so picture just the bottom) for my rabbit who was with me for at least 8 years (although I think he was 10/11).
We made him a huge run and he went in that for a few hours on a night and all day in the summer.
It would be lovely to give them a shed etc. but come on get real people!! They're expensive enough as it is and to be quite frank I think people take the whole massive cage thing to the extreme!
They definately don't need a shed or an aviary!! As long as they get plenty of grass/run time they'll be absolutely fine.
Why would they design ALL rabbit cages like this if every last one of them is too small?!!
The cage is lovely, perfectly sized and definately an upgrade from the small house cage. Sorry for the rant, and sorry if I offend but it needs to be said.
I'm also very for keeping the rabbits outside - it's where they should be :)

couchy
04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
that cage is perfectly acceptable for two rabbits. I had a singular cage like that (so picture just the bottom) for my rabbit who was with me for at least 8 years (although I think he was 10/11).
We made him a huge run and he went in that for a few hours on a night and all day in the summer.
It would be lovely to give them a shed etc. but come on get real people!! They're expensive enough as it is and to be quite frank I think people take the whole massive cage thing to the extreme!
They definately don't need a shed or an aviary!! As long as they get plenty of grass/run time they'll be absolutely fine.
Why would they design ALL rabbit cages like this if every last one of them is too small?!!
The cage is lovely, perfectly sized and definately an upgrade from the small house cage. Sorry for the rant, and sorry if I offend but it needs to be said.

hehe thanks

they do love it and in a few months time im going to build an extension for the run got to do the essentials first, neutering vaccinations etc... but other than that there ALOT more relaxed they want me to smooth them :)

Bekki2308
04-26-2012, 01:24 PM

By that logic every hamster cage or other animal cage on the market is fine because they designed it. This hutch still falls short of RSPCA standards and I wouldnt house my rabbit it in because its too small however its a good upgrade from the previous cage and the run could be extended.

couchy
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
By that logic every hamster cage or other animal cage on the market is fine because they designed it. This hutch still falls short of RSPCA standards and I wouldnt house my rabbit it in because its too small however its a good upgrade from the previous cage and the run could be extended.

yea ok,

fair play tho they do love it and they have got the whole garden as their run as well now for most as they day, now that i have rabbit proofed my garden and they love it they keep dashing around and binkying all the time and eating all the dandilions, also i have checked my garden if there are any poisonous plants there and the only hazard is the white calla lily leaves and a bush of chrysanthenams flowers where i buried milly so i have baracaded that area