PDA

View Full Version : About time!

Jessalina
03-04-2008, 10:14 AM
After many months of planning, I finally have my hammy! *dances*

I was intending to get a male, but this gorgeous little female was watching me from her tank so I asked to look at her and when I let her sniff my hand she had a little nip and I was in love :lol: :roll: She began to eat the cardboard carrier she was in on the way home, I almost had a heart attack but we got back ok and she is settling in well, and is on her wheel as I type :) She's obviously a little shy right now, but she doesn't seem scared or anything and has already been munching on some sunflower seeds from her mix.
Pics when she has settled, I need help identifying her colour as I'm totally dense when it comes to that.
I had decided on Smithy as a name for a boy, so continuing with the Gavin and Stacey theme I think I'm going to call her Nessa :)

Hanlou
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Ooohh yay for you! :D

Am so pleased for you. I hate waiting to have an animal once I am 'decided' and the cage is set up ready! I had to wait for my spiny mice and it was sooo hard....

Look forward to pics of your lovely and of course, am looking forward to seeing her cage set-up too! :)

Welcome to the forum Nessa! x

Spuds Mum
03-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Yay Jessalina, Nessa sounds as though she is makig herself right at home! Congratulations, and can't wait to see pics :x

Jessalina
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
She's only been home five minutes and I've already started buying stuff for her :oops: Her Rolly wheel is driving me nuts already with the squeaking so I just ordered a Wodent Wheel :roll:

I have my suspicions that she might be a red eyed cream but I'll need confirmation on that :lol:

Gust0o
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Ha, I can empathise with the box chewing - Bob was straight through hers, the second we got in the car! :x

Makes for an interesting drive home, doesn't it?

Looking forward to hearing more about this young miss! Sounds like she's being spoilt rotten already - an early start with the good habits! :)

Jessalina
03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Just got a video of her on her wheel, she was really going for it :lol:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/jess_the_herb/th_MVI_4869.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/jess_the_herb/?action=view&current=MVI_4869.flv)
You will probably now understand why I was so quick to order a new, non squeaky wheel :shock: :x

Spuds Mum
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh my life! What a cutie! :D

She looks tiny bless her, a real baby and so sweet. It may be my computer screen but she looks quite dark for a cream and looks quite like a mink (one of my favourite colours ever). But I'm sure when we get a really good look we'll be able to tell you for sure.

I can see why you've said red-eyed cream, she does have that look about her and her ears seem light/flesh coloured, but minks also have dark red eyes and flesh ears as they are basically red-eyed cream with an umbrous gene mixed in!

I'm sure she will love her wodent wheel, and you will enjoy the peace and quiet after the Roly! :x

Jessalina
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm sure she will love her wodent wheel, and you will enjoy the peace and quiet after the Roly! :x

I hope it gets here soon :shock: :lol: The rats are totally baffled by all the noise :lol:

Nessa is absolutely gorgeous whatever she is, I will try to get some pics tomorrow :) She's a very inquisitive little girl, hopefully taming won't be too difficult :P

Gust0o
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
This is the problem when most of us post pics - they never quite come out as the eyes have it; so it leaves us all guessing as to what the little blighter might be! :x

Looks like you've got a fantastically active little hammie! Here's hoping the postie brings you some silent relief tomorrow :x

Basia
03-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Aw Congratulations Jesselina - she is just so gorgeous. :D

annc
03-05-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm so glad you have her - she looks lovely!

I always take a carrier or small cage and put the box in that, as I've had several who have chewed their way out in transit! Mischief was the worst. She was loose in the carrier in 5 minutes, then a bit later I heard scuffling. She had gnawed a triangular hole to get out and was now trying to get back in with the widest bit of hamster stuck at the narrowest bit of the triangle!

suga
03-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Congratulations :-)

Gust0o
03-05-2008, 02:20 AM
She had gnawed a triangular hole to get out and was now trying to get back in with the widest bit of hamster stuck at the narrowest bit of the triangle!

:x

Holly
03-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Oh bless her, she's gorgeous - congratulations on finally getting a hammy :wink:

I'd also say Mink rather than Cream - Cream babies tend to be very light and darken as they age, Nessa looks too dark for a baby Cream but she does look very Minky (one of my favourite colours - along with Cream, Sable, Dove, Dark Grey and Roans of any colour :oops: ).

jayne
03-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Congratulations on your new arrival, she looks beautiful :D
Your video of her brings back so many memories of the Roly wheel :lol: Hope you get your wodent soon!

Jessalina
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone :D I've posted some pics of Nessa in a new thread.

Hope you get your wodent soon! Me too! :lol: It was dispatched today, hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow. Fortunately she tired herself out yesterday so she wasn't on the wheel much in the night or I'd never have got any sleep! :lol: