PDA

View Full Version : First pics of the new hamster

Catja
03-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Here are the first pics of our new addition, Baron Von Muffling - don't ask - but this person did genuinely exist :lol:

I am concerned not to stress him too much as tonight was cleaning out night which meant lots of noise.

He has taken food from my hand and I have been able to hold him for a few seconds.

Our major concern is that he is sneezing alot, but he has no other symptoms and it is almost like an allergy, I am wondering if he is allergic to something or he has a problem as he sneezes every time he eats something or sniffs something.

I am on tenterhooks really given Basia's recent experience. I think he is probably a cream banded.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii131/catja_album/hammies/Muffling.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii131/catja_album/hammies/Muffling2.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii131/catja_album/hammies/Muffling3.jpg

Basia
03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Aw, he's absolutely gorgeous Catja. He looks a real baby too. Try not to worry about him too much, I think I was just unlucky with Peaches. I had Basil, Sid and Fuzzy from P@H and they have all been fine. :D

Spuds Mum
03-03-2008, 03:58 PM
aww he looks gorgeous - and has a great name! In those pics he looks almost satin, and I would say you are right in thinking cream banded from the pics.

Baron VM could have an allergy, sometimes wood shavings can irritate (even safe ones like our UK ones) or he may have something irritating his nose in another way. Of course he could have some sort of cold, and I know this would worry you, rightly. I would keep an eye on him and look for other symptoms, are his eyes runny? is he unenergetic etc. I'm sure others will be able to advise.

Hope he is okay - he looks wonderful :D

Matty Day
03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
he is gorgous i have a rel love of cream satins and hope to start my own cream satin line next year :x

he is lovely i would be tempted enter him in a main show just to see how he does

nice name is it somthing historical sounds like a prussian noblity name to me

Catja
03-03-2008, 04:07 PM
aww he looks gorgeous - and has a great name! In those pics he looks almost satin, and I would say you are right in thinking cream banded from the pics.

He is indeed a satin, the pics don't really show it too well (low light, low flash) but there is no doubting he is satin, he is extremely glossy. I knew he was satin as soon as I saw him and even the assistant noticed.

OH likes him because he looks mousey, difficult to say whether he will fill out or remain like Algy. I think he must be a real baby, do you reckon about 6 weeks. His ears are enormous, and pointed like Mr Spock and his eyes look way too big for his face.

Can you see the spectacles?

He has no other symptoms at all currently and is lively, I am wondering if he is allergic to the shavings too. Can anyone suggest an alternative

Gust0o
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Is he really sneezing?

Spud's Mum's post, above, was a good one - it should be possible for you to pick out what might be the problem if he is, genuinely, sneezing.

I just ask because, from experience with Hobbs, what I had thought was sneezing was little sneeze-like noises, because he was nervous!

Catja
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Good point Gus

Jessalina
03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
He's adorablehttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/jess_the_herb/Animations/29.gifLove the name :lol:

souffle
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Catya he is gorgeous and what a distinguished name! Yes he does look like he has eyes rings but it may be the way the light catches the shorted satin round the eyes. We find the creams always look like they have a light patch over the nose where the fur is shortest. He does look like a tidgy baby. We saw his twin in our local P@H last week so they do seem to have some satin breeding stock in their suppliers. See how he settles with the shavings and keep a close eye. He may just have a bit of dust in his nose. You could try carefresh or aubiose or even a different type of shavings may be OK.

jayne
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Catja, he is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colouring of him and you can really see the gloss of his coat :)
Thats great you have got him handled already, hope all goes well with him and his sneezing stops soon! :wink:

suga
03-04-2008, 02:32 AM
Aww such a cute little ham :-)

Gust0o
03-04-2008, 04:25 AM
Wow, I'd missed that bit - great work on getting to handling so soon!

I'm a big advocate of "the sooner, the better", in terms of getting them used to you - and that sounds like great progress.

I'm sure he'll be tame, and content, in no time :)

Catja
03-04-2008, 06:15 AM
The handling may be on hold for a while :cry:

I woke up this morning with a raging sore throat and yet another cold, my 5th this winter which I think is related to where I am working.

Of course this makes me more anxious about the sneezing BUT he is only doing it when he is sniffing something and it looks very much like an allergy as he has no other symptoms, its as though something is irritating his nose :cry:

Of course I am now worried as I handled him a little bit last night and fed him from my hand not knowing I was carrying another cold, I'll never forgive myself if I pass it on as he really is such a little baby. I think he is very young, just like Algy was.

Feeling guilty already poor Baron VM (who was a Prussian general at Waterloo by the way - OH wants to name everything after napoleonic stuff at the moment)

Gust0o
03-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Quite correct, Catja - Karl Freiherr von Muffling was the Prussian commisioner attached to Wellington's headquarters during the Waterloo campaign :)

I'll confess, I'm a big buff of military history - and have recently been reading Robert Asprey's 'The Rise and Fall of Napoleon', so this period is really setting me twitching! :)

You could have hit upon a rich vein of names... Ney; Soult; Suchet; Baptiste!

Not sure they're all very hamster-like, mind! :x

Catja
03-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Quite correct, Catja - Karl Freiherr von Muffling was the Prussian commisioner attached to Wellington's headquarters during the Waterloo campaign :):x

Yep thats him, I did think about Soult and Ney, I thought if I got two together then I could call them Ponsonby & Picton :lol:

We have a Bonaparte and a Nelson and a Kretschmer (the latter being a U Boat captain of course)

As you can see we are big into military history too, infact we spend most of our weekends at present marching up and down and shouting "Vive l'emperor" :wink:

Hanlou
03-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Lol, well, I don't know how I missed the whole where-he-came-from post, but I did! Have now caught up, and I realise that having a non-pet-selling shop here in the town where I live is very, very good for me! :P

We did pop in to Pah to get Herbert's HH the other day and nearly ended up with a Russian dwarf hamster that John fell for in the adoption bit. But we resisted! Actually, if I'd known how seriously John was thinking about it, we probably would have ended up with him (was a lovely pale colour with red eyes!) but I didn't realise until we got home. :wink:

He's really lovely Catja. I have to say I haven't seen any long-haired / satin hamsters 'this end' at all in any of the pet shops. All short-haired, mostly Herbert's (and Desi's) sort of colour.

I am however planning out hamster-space so we can fit the Rody Cavia in somewhere for a Robo' or two...... at some point. Does anyone else walk round the house with a measuring tape wondering where you can fit cages in? :lol:

Welcome to the forum Baron Von Muffling! (does he have a 'nickname' by the way?!)

Gust0o
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Does anyone else walk round the house with a measuring tape wondering where you can fit cages in?

Erm, yes... but only when the wife is out! :oops:

Matty Day
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
and of courese we have a louis and hopefully soon a coulbert :x thought of course im talking about 17th century france rather than 19th century nice to talk to some fellpw historains :x

Gust0o
03-04-2008, 10:14 AM
"Go on Maitland, now's your time!"

La Garde recule. Sauve qui peut! :x

I'm very much interested in his generalship - Napoleon amongst others - as to what they individually bring to the table, that makes them so great.

Not an easy thing to put your finger upon!

Hanlou
03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Well I did read 'War and Peace' whilst I was on holiday (in France of course) the year before last, it gives you a good insight into Napoleon, though it is fairly heavy going...... :P

Catja
03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
La Garde recule. Sauve qui peut! :x

"Merde" :lol:

Interesting fella Napoleon, would think nothing of sacrificing huge numbers of men in pursuit of his aims but regarded his soldiers as "my children"

What did he say when someone said is it worth it after he was wounded "Glory may be fleeting, but obscurity is forever"

ami_j
03-04-2008, 01:19 PM
[quote="Catja"Merde" :lol: quote]

:shock: wash your mouth out :lol:
gorgeous looking little hamster loving the name very fancy

Catja
03-04-2008, 02:23 PM
[

Apparently after the event the soldier claimed he hadn't actually said the above but something along the lines of

"The guard dies, the guard does not surrender" - much more refined but I know which version I believe :lol:

Gust0o
03-04-2008, 02:49 PM
La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!

Dino de Laurentis decided to use 'merde' in his film mind! I guess it sits better with the audience! :x

Bizarrely, the chap who plays von Muffling in the film is John Savident - better know as Fred, from Coronation Street! :)

Gus' tedious link! :x

Gust0o
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Sorry Catja, we've almost totally wandered this thread off-topic :)

Catja
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
One for misc chat! :lol: