PDA

View Full Version : a little help.

xtashax
03-02-2008, 06:09 AM
Right well its only been 5 days since we brought our 2 robos home, since then we have brought them a bigger cage and they seem to be ok with it.
I'm having a few problems that i'v not come across with any of the dwarf breeds i'v had.
1. Only a day ago i relised that one of the hamsters (Tiny) is twice as big as (Teeny) is this normal even though their ment to be from the same litter?
2. Tiny bites, it dosnt hurt... but it has kinda made me a bit nervous around them which has never happened before, this is when i just put my hand in and let them smell me (hands washed in none secented soap)
3. Teeny is very nervous and you will hardly see her atall. even durning the night.
4. They are about 9/10 weeks of age, i havnt been able to check their sexs myself as yet as they will not allow it, but last night they both came out and was on the same wheel( they do have 2) and Tiny the biggest one was doing something i'v never seen, she kept trying to come up behind Teeny, not sure if there was any biting going on no noise came out from either of them during all this, then Teeny would kinda fall on her back eyes shut and keep still (kinda like they do when there very scared) then she would be back up again and both would be on their hind legs sort of looked a bit playfull like 2 kittens would do, sort of swating at one another. But never any noise from either one.
They do sleep with each other but i'm a bit worried.
Any help on this will be great. Thanks in advance.

sammys/mum
03-02-2008, 07:24 AM
I got my robo a week ago. All I can help you with is the size problem. My campbells are drastically different in size. It doesnt matter I dont think as long as the smaller one is eating it doesnt matter whether ones bigger, longer e.t.c!
Good Luck

souffle
03-02-2008, 08:55 AM
It sounds as if since they are still babies they are still having baby tussles and play fights. They do not sound as if they are fighting. One may be smaller as it is the runt of the litter and runts usually catch up by around 6 months. You could supplement with some extra protein and porridge and make sure you offer it to their mouths so the little one gets some. Scatter some food over the floor so they are busy foraging and both get some as sometimes the bigger one will hog a bowl. If you give baby food or porridge put it in two pringle lids at either side of the cage as a bowl hogger can't be round two at once. Try and start the handling soon as you can as you need to sex them in case you have a boy and a girl in which case you would need to separate as sibling breeding is not good.

Gust0o
03-02-2008, 10:07 AM
2. Tiny bites, it dosnt hurt... but it has kinda made me a bit nervous around them which has never happened before, this is when i just put my hand in and let them smell me (hands washed in none secented soap)

This is quite interesting - can you elaborate a little?

My WW boys do much the same thing; I wouldn't call it biting, exactly, more nibbling or scraping. The teeth don't dig it - I think all owners would know exactly when they've been bitten, by a hamster meaning to! - but something more casual. Indeed, I don't even know if they can open their mouths enough to bite me properly; they've never shown capable!

I had assumed it was a result of my having been handling food - in getting them treats prior to handling, or in moving food within their cage.

Would be interested to know more. I don't think it's something to worry about, unless they really are biting... in which case you'd know all about it! :shock:

sammys/mum
03-02-2008, 10:11 AM
My campbells are EXTREMELY inquisitive and both run up when my hand enters the cage. However they do nip, it kind of hurts but I think its a 'Who are you?' nip instead of a 'I want to hurt you' nip! I think it always happens when you first have them!

xtashax
03-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Thank you all so much. You have all deffently put my mind at ease.
Yes with the biting thing, i know how much a hamster bite can hurt :lol: so it must be as you said "not a i want to hurt you" bite.

And i will try the porridge, i always scatter around the food aswell anyway.
Thanks again. God i feel like a newbi to the hamster world, i may be 25, but had hamsters since i was 6 when my grandad first brought us one lol, had them ever since, just never this breed.
Oh and just to add, if one of the hamsters did turn out to be female , i will be seperating them, my husband will not be pleased with me if i have a house full of hamsters, and i do not know anyone who would home the pups.
He just about turns a blind eye to me taking in stray cats getting them spayed/neutered, and rehoming them, thats without the very pregnant ones we have taken in then getting the mum spayed, and kittens in the right homes lol.

jayne
03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
What the others have said seem to be the best way to help you and make you feel a bit more at ease about the situation. My chinese used to nip me and it put me off but i made the mistake of not handling them as much after and my partner done most of the handling. I wish i had been perisistent thought and kept on at it as they were lovely little hams and could be very affectionate at times.
Regarding Teeny falling on her back, somone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought this was a sign of dominance when the less dominant falls on their back and is usually smaller in size compared to the dominant one. I would just do as souffle mentioned and scatter food around so they can both get to it easier and i would just keep an eye on them.
The sooner you can handle them the better in respect of sexing them :wink:
Please let us know how you get on and keep us posted

Holly
03-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Again what the others have said sounds good.

The only thing I thought of with the size difference is that you may have a male and female - apparently robos are unusual in the hamster world in that the males are usually significantly larger than the females. I've got a rescue male robo from a mis-sexed pair and he's quite a lot bigger than his sister. Obviously the sooner you can handle and check the sexes the better.

Good luck with them, robos are wonderful little things.