PDA

View Full Version : My gerbils :D

Charley101
04-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Thought i would upload some pictures of my gerbils :)

Here's Luna and Lexie. Luna is the one with the white spot on her head. They're about a year old now. Both are friendly and tame although Lexie does nip a little if held too long but she is lovely really.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/charleythomson/lunalexie-1-1.jpg

Here's Millie and Maisie. Millie is the black one and Maisie is the creamy one. They're about 10 weeks now and I've had them for 2 weeks. They are so tame already. Whenever i get Millie out she immediately lies down on my hand and falls to sleep. I held her for half an hour earlier stroking her head whilst she slept. Soo cute.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/charleythomson/millieandmaisie.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/charleythomson/maisie.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/charleythomson/millie.jpg

Does anyone else own gerbils here?

racinghamster
04-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Gorgeous gerbilies! :) I used to keep gerbils and miss their antics and company. Very young gerbils can sometimes be stressed by wide open spaces so Millie could be showing signs of this. I had a ten week old male who took fits/seizures when taken from his tank, which can happen in youngsters. They do grow out of it, but they have to be handled less and not kept out too long. Millie sounds quite quiet for a gerbil here age, which made me think she might not be sleeping but lying down to cope better with being outside her comfort zone. Just really an interperatation of why she might seem sleepy for a gerbil which should be quite loony at her age! :mad:

Are they rescue gerbils Charley?

SnickersTheFirst
04-03-2012, 06:34 AM
They're gorgeous!

I used to have two boys. :) Buddy passed away last March (aged 2 and a half) and his brother, Murphy, passed away in February (aged 3 and a half). They're lovely little animals and so fun to watch. I'd love to own more in the future but now isn't a good time as I'm uncertain on what I'm doing for the next 4 years so it'd be unfair to get an animal that will live for 3+ years.

vanilla-yazoo
04-03-2012, 06:59 AM
I used to have gerbils! sadly my last one of the group passed away last year :( she was 6 years old, and really showing her age. i do miss gerbils!
yours are gorgeous!!! mine where greys but one had lots of ticking, one had a sealpoint in a darker grey and the other was a pinky grey.

fluffymunchkins
04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
They are so sweet :) I specially love Millie!
I have a pair of boys here - Lewis and Button x

mangoandmimi
04-03-2012, 09:54 AM
How sweet are they?! Soft spot for Maisie ;]
We have a gerbil, Boppit :>

LawaRawr
04-03-2012, 09:59 AM
aww there cute :) we had 3 gerbils about 5 years ago, one of them came to us pregnant so we kept one baby but we had to give the boy away as we had a group of females. I miss having gerbils they always kept me on my toes :). we had one black and white one, one grey and white one and one full grey. they lived for about 4 years the 2 oldest passed away within weeks of each other but the youngest lasted for a year after them :) .

Queen Of The High Teas
04-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Aww they're so cute, I love gerbils! I have 3 atm and their so much fun to watch, very entertaining pets, and I have to be honest, I think that they can be ahem, better than hamsters *ducks* in that they don't bite usually and are more amenable in general to being out during the day. In over 40 hams I've only owned one that was totally un-bitey, whereas with the gerbils I have only ever been bitten once, and it was completely my fault cos I spooked him trying to check his teeth:mad:

Charley101
04-03-2012, 04:00 PM
she might not be sleeping but lying down to cope better with being outside her comfort zone.... Are they rescue gerbils Charley?

She was definitely asleep yesterday :) She was curled right up into my hand whilst i was stroking her head. I stopped for 5 mins and she was stilled curled up, eyes shut, breathing deeply. Thank you about your advice on big spaces. I never even thought about that!

Luna and Lexie were from an ex-breeder who had stopped the hobby and was looking to rehome all her gerbils and Millie and Maisie were from the adoption centre of P@H.

I love watching them run around their tanks and listening to their little squeaks when they communicate. Also when they get fresh hay its really cute when they start collection it and running off to their hides to add to their nests. I love them to bits :D

racinghamster
04-06-2012, 04:01 AM
I miss keeping gerbils as they are so entertaining and cheeky! I did offer mine hay to nibble on, but their bedding material was ripped up white toilet roll and they loved grabbing a big pile in their mouth and racing back to the the nest with it! :mad:

samzyzg
04-06-2012, 04:27 AM
Part of me really wants to own gerbils xD i've never had them or known people who've had them xD Degu's are really cute too, my step mum had 2 but one passed away a few years ago and somehow one is still surviving xD. But i have to draw a line somewhere considering the amount of animals i would like...

Cathii
04-15-2012, 09:40 AM
They're gorgeous little gerbies! Very cute photos :)
I used to own gerbils before I got my roborovski hamsters.

The second photo reminded me of one of my old gerbils, Banana. Or Piranha. They're were both identical lol. They were like Maisie but without the white. They got so tame and friendly that they could happily run around the floor without using balls and climb up your trouser leg at the most unexpected moments :)
They both fought (yes, they were female) and we had to separate them. They never accepted each other afterwards which was sad. Years after that they both left us at similar times :( RIP little ones xx
This is Banana when she was a pup:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7238/7047646737_b0bd47a3e5.jpg

Then there was Mischief. He was dark grey and shiny. He didn't live as long, but he was amazing at controlling his ball around the house at full speed :) Actually, he died this year on New Year's Day :( RIP Mischief.
This is Mischief. We only managed a couple of good photos of him unfortunately, as his beautiful coat didn't look right in most of them.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7235/7047646747_f0cddd6c21.jpg

Vicki S
04-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I love your girls there wee beauties i have never seen a gerbil marked the way yours are before

Vicki