PDA

View Full Version : Cake Decorating Magazine

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
04-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Is anyone else subscribed to it?

I saw the adverts for it a few weeks back and thought it would be absolutely perfect for Mr Bobtail who is studying to be a baker but adores the art of food decorating. I trundled around the shops for days trying to find issue 1... everywhere was sold out and refused to restock or order one in specially -.- Bought issue 2 but had the same problems with issue 3 and so subscribed to it on their website instead. I didn't tell Mr Bobtail that I had subscribed for his so he was (to say the least) excited when it arrived in the post today :D

I've just been looking at their forum on Facebook and noticed a few people had complained about the quality of the "free subscriber gifts" like the sugar craft gun. Mr Bobtail hasn't received it yet and by the looks of it he will get it in the next delivery but I wondered if anyone else had subscribed and found any problems at all? I'm a little worried as I know how upset he will be if the thing breaks as soon as it arrives :(

I'm looking forward to Easter Sunday when lent finishes and he can finally make something from the magazines! :D

Lynternette
04-03-2012, 04:44 AM
I've always found these magazines to work out to be expensive. I was interested in a dolls house one but the furniture was awful. if I get really interested in something I buy a good beginners book and then spend my money on good equipment.

04-03-2012, 08:25 AM
This one works out at quite a good price once you have opted out of the binders and "special issues".
Issue 1 was only 99p and after that they are £2.99 each and you get 4 a month so its only around £12 a month which isn't bad considering every issue comes with 3 free gifts and subscribers get several really great gifts like a biscuit and sugar craft gun with 13 cutters and 8 stainless steal nozzles, a portable cake caddy, a tool box and 12 silicone cupcake cases. You also get one of the £2.99 issues free. It isn't too bad really :)

danni02
04-06-2012, 02:00 AM
you know there are around 300 magazines in the collection right?? i thought about getting it untill i did some research.

04-06-2012, 03:59 AM
Wow, I read somewhere that they had only planned to make 90! Well Dan will be kept busy that's for sure :lol:

samzyzg
04-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Hehe, well even if the free stuff isnt that great if you can afford it and the magazines themselfs are interesting then its probably worth it, especially if he enjoys it.

vanilla-yazoo
04-06-2012, 05:09 AM
I have studdied cake decoration as a kid for many many many years, I used to go saturdays once a month, the lesson was £2, you can borrow tools but slowly gathering your own kit. if you look up the sugar craft guild, hopefully someone near you dose it.

The baisic tool kit you would probably spend about £50 setting it up, this wont be cake stands and molds, itl be cutters, piping tubes, various rolling pins, foam board rolling boards ect ect.

for what I saw on the advert I laughed XD I said to my mum thats not how to make roses! those butterflys are too thick! XD but thats because I done it for years.
my second lesson when I was under 10, was making roses, petal by petal on wire, then you tape the wires together so you can move the petals indervidualy to place, they are made with a little 'gum' in the icing, so it can be rolled extra thin, and i mean stupidly thin!

I do think its a great idea to learn how to do it weekly-fortnightly, and learn slowly what to do, how to pipe, write, make shells ect ect. Im a bit rusty as I stopped when I was about 16 but I can always dig out some kit to have a go with to show you how I do it (godness know where it is!)
I would show you some of what I made but it all broke after being on display in thr cupboad for many many years! after 3+ years it goes brittle and crumbles to the touch.

The British Sugarcraft Guild - National Site - BSG (http://www.bsguk.org/)