PDA

View Full Version : Eeeeekkkk, spider :(!!!

Cupcake
03-30-2012, 06:37 AM
Oh God no, honestly this can't be happening!!! I just got home (it's morning here) and I went to check on Cupcake and there is this hugeee mutant spider in her wheel!!! oh boy... I'm freaking out, I ran out of the room. I can't go in there :(
Can spiders bite hamsters?! what if something happens to her?
Stupid spiderrrr!!! ](*,)

StarlightSerenity
03-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Ohh I couldn't help but laugh!! I can imagine it doing it's daily workout on her wheel!

I'd have the same reaction, I don't like spiders either. Not too sure about what the spider or Cupcake would do if they meet, I wouldn't have thought the spider would do much harm but then again I don't know what spiders are native to Montreal.

I think my Syrian would go mental and bite it's head off, like she did to the mealworms we first gave her >.<

Cupcake
03-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Honestly I don't know what spiders are native to Montreal either, it's just that this one is ....gigantic!!! it's just sitting there!!! this is not funny :| I tried softly blowing at it (thinking he might wanna jump on me) and he moved just a little bit, but he's still in the wheel!

sakuraheart
03-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Oh dear...I would panic too I must admit.....have you tried looking up the spider online to see if it's safe?

Silver
03-30-2012, 06:47 AM
I would get a dustbin bag.

And very gently pick the wheel up, very slowly. Throw the wheel with spider into dustbin bag & put it outside. The spider will run off.

Silver xxx

Cupcake
03-30-2012, 06:48 AM

And very gently pick the wheel up, very slowly. Throw the wheel with spider into dustbin bag & put it outside. The spider will run off.

Silver xxx

Now that is CRAZY! :| I am going to faint just a the thought of having to pick up something with a spider on it! he is most likely going to run in the room oh my godddd nooo and then probably run in my room! :shock: I am...HOPELESS ](*,)

Teddybearhamster420
03-30-2012, 06:51 AM
No spiders SHOULD be hurt in the making of this post.;)

Take a deep breathe, and get a paper towel. :mad:
Do you have some type of a bucket you can use? Grab that, and put it beside the cage... Remembering to take deep breathes'....open the cage, (what cage do you have agiain? Try and take the lid off completly,) (if the wheel isnt attached to the wall...) If you can, gently pick up the wheel, (with the paper towel!) and toss it in the bucket... I hope that works! But I reall dont know what else to say. ;) Good luck!

Teddybearhamster420
03-30-2012, 06:52 AM

Silver xxx

Thats what I was thinking! Sorry I was typing when you post and kinda said the same thing.. :oops: Great minds think alike, EH? :mad::mad:

vanilla-yazoo
03-30-2012, 06:53 AM
ild say its just a spider, but I totally freak out with daddy long legs >.<

if you can put a plastic bag ovet the wheel, hold it tight at the bottom, lift the wheel and take it outside, pull it out of the bag and shake the bag the spider will fall out :)

Silver
03-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Thats what I was thinking! Sorry I was typing when you post and kinda said the same thing.. :oops: Great minds think alike, EH? :mad::mad:

To True ;)

Cupcake
03-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Ok...this was unexpected. She woke up (most likely because she heard me freaking out and she thought "oh oh mommy's gone crazy" :oops: ) and she went investigating (the spider had moved on her new wooden playground in the small treat section) and she..ate him :| she is eating the spider :| I wish i could take a picture of it, but just the thought makes me sick...
apparently the worst that can happen is her having a stomach ache, but it's not uncommon for them eating spiders

BaileyandBeth
03-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Ahaha I can't help but laugh at the outcome, I had a feeling the poor little man would get a telling off.

gutterglitterxx
03-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Oh I feel for you! I admittedly have a full-blown, psychotic, insane phobia of spiders. Like, I can't even function enough to kill them usually. So I understand your panic. I see that the standoff has ended so that's good. But yeah, don't feel bad, I would have been freaking out too.

FluffNoodle
03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
get ur hammy out and vacuum the spider or try to get the cage out side and blast it with the hose

just read the rest of the story and EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWww

tjherman
03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
and she..ate him :| she is eating the spider :| I wish i could take a picture of it, but just the thought makes me sick...

Well, she took care of the spider for you! :mad: Wonder what possessed the spider to go into her cage in the first place! I've never seen a hamster eat a live bug, only dried mealworms, but I imagine it was disgusting!

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
03-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Lool! My Fat Face did a similar thing -
Me: *Sees spider in cage* Oh look Fat Face, you have a visitor! :D *Points*
Fatty: *Sniffs Spider..........Eats*
Me: D: !!!!!!

I was devastated for the poor thing! >.< I hate killing spiders and rescued one from a public sink the other day :L
Ah well at least you know you don't need to fear spiders any more, you can just set you hamster on them ;)

shazzy
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I was just about to say that your ham will probably eat the spider!!! I've heard them do horrid things like that before.. Or if she was one of my girls then said spider would get sat on by a bit furry butt

Cupcake
03-30-2012, 01:37 PM
I was just about to say that your ham will probably eat the spider!!! I've heard them do horrid things like that before.. Or if she was one of my girls then said spider would get sat on by a bit furry butt

haha I'd love to see a spider that gets sat on by a furry butt <3

hammy_luver
03-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Are we talking tarantula sized here? LOL, sorry :) You've had some great suggestions already, just pluck up the courage and throw yourself in there, imagine you're saving Cupcake from a King Kong type monster. Good luck ;)
LOL I just saw the post were she gobbled him up, that's what the spider gets for moving on to her treat station

shazzy
03-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Lol well there was once a big moth in little Mo's cage that I was worrying about, but mo just cage out and stood on it, then turned round and plonked her fat bum on it! Poor moth!

Cupcake
03-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Are we talking tarantula sized here? LOL, sorry :) You've had some great suggestions already, just pluck up the courage and throw yourself in there, imagine you're saving Cupcake from a King Kong type monster. Good luck ;)

Uhmmm, I guess in my standards he was pretty close to tarantula hahah :D he was aboutttt well his body was about as long as a 25 cent coin or a 50p coin (almost same size the two) but not as fat, just long and uber long legs :shock:

Pompompoms
03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
I think I would have felt such a terrifying mix of horror, anger, and temporary paralysis I might have just expired on the spot. I can't cope with spiders in any way at all, I'm not sure how I'd cope if one of my little pompoms ate one :-?:-?:-?

Cupcake
03-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Pompom, I'm actually starting to worry as Cupcake hasn't woken up yet and she's usually up and about at around 7PM while it's a bit past 8 now and still no sign of her :(

Pompompoms
03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I actually can't even bear to think of it, my main fear was you'd posted a massive scarey photo, that's what normally happens in spider threads :-?.

I would give a gentle russle of bedding, when see her moving njormally quickly retreat and pretend it wasn't you ;)

Cupcake
03-30-2012, 05:59 PM
haha, she woke up, I guess she could smell the tasty apple and various seeds treat I made and she couldn't resist :D I'm just going to let her enjoy for a while and we're going to play a little bit afterwards <3

Pompompoms
03-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Ah good to hear, she's clearly a lot better with spiders than we are! :D

Cupcake
03-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Ah good to hear, she's clearly a lot better with spiders than we are! :D

You can say that again! you should see how my dog stomps anything that looks like a bug, he even tries to catch bees mid-flight :| but his favourite activity is "sniffing the ant up the nose, jumping around because the ant is in the nose, stomp ant that clearly tried attacking the nose" :rolleyes: silly dog

Lynternette
03-31-2012, 01:25 AM
I'd want to get my spider buster, also known as the hoover pipe. Very good for ceiling spiders. But what if it sucked up the Carefresh as well, or more than likely terrify Dusty. I think I'd go next door and ask the neighbours to help. I can stand the ridicule. If they were out I'm afraid my OH would have to come home from work. I am terrified of them.

BaileyandBeth
03-31-2012, 01:32 AM
You can get these plug ins that deters spiders? My friend has several in her house and they do work apparently :)

Angelhamster
03-31-2012, 02:04 AM
Awww! I don't like spiders either :-) I would hope my mummy mode would take over and I'd whip it or my hamster out - but then if it was as big as you say it was...! Well done to Cupcake but yuk at the same time :-)

samincittagazze
03-31-2012, 02:47 AM
Oh, bless clever Cupcake! What a lovely protein filled meal for her. :lol: I don't really mind spiders and am happy enough to do a cup-and-paper rescue for one, but I'm terrified of wasps. I'm always convinced that one is going to get into the cages and hurt my babies, I have reoccurring nightmares about it. :(

Cathii
03-31-2012, 03:24 AM
haha, sounds like the sort of panic I'd be in! I remember once when my gerbil was running around the bathroom floor he spotted a spider and began eating it. I went to see what she had found and ran out in fright. Not the best memory of little Banana...

Pompompoms
03-31-2012, 04:04 PM
You can get these plug ins that deters spiders? My friend has several in her house and they do work apparently :)

What??????? How do I not know about this!!!!??? I shall be buying MANY of these around the end of August, the massive September spiders are getting bigger every year, and growing in number :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Angelhamster
04-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Not the same thing but sometime after reading this post, I found a house fly on Angel's cage. I tapped the cage to get it to fly off but it didn't move. I thought it was dead and went to scoop it up with some tissue but it turned out it was IN her cage. I just left it! Now knowing hamsters are perfectly fine with spiders, a little housefly would be no problem for Angel! Not sure if she ate it though :-)

Cupcake
04-01-2012, 06:16 AM

I usually used lavender scented water, because for some reason they hate lavender smell. But I haven't done it yet because the weather is a bit weird, we had 26 degrees celsius and then it dropped to -10 again so I hoped they would die because of the fast temperature change, instead they invaded my house :cry:

Pompompoms
04-01-2012, 09:06 AM
There is a lavender farm about two minutes from me, I'll be buying in bulk!

MommaHammie
04-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Lol! Oh glad to hear Cupcake took care of it well haha
I'm not scared of spiders but my bf is, so far there hasn't been any other pesky things on my hammies cages apart from them when they are naughty :P

kyrilliondaemon
04-01-2012, 10:00 AM
We may be arranging a way to make the flat smell of lavender now... Thanks for the tip lol

Cupcake
04-02-2012, 06:15 AM
We may be arranging a way to make the flat smell of lavender now... Thanks for the tip lol

No problem! :D I also have little lavender sachets in my drawers because I had a spider once that hid in my t-shirt!!! :cry:

Lynternette
04-02-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm petrified of them. I have this strange fear that they will run up my legs. My friend rubs a tiny bit of lavender oil on her hands and strokes her cats. They never get fleas. Spiders don't like horse chestnut or cloves apparently. I tried it and it works. You have to put it along the thresh hold of the door. Betterware do a spider stop. Its made from chestnut oil. Its very good with no smell and pet friendly.
Be careful with the plug ins. They are excellent but some do repel rodents. We can't plug ours in now. I have a great electronic gadget I use. You can even vacuum the carpet with it.

danni02
04-06-2012, 02:04 AM
i dont mind british spiders. after spending 6 years living in australia i can tell you that british spiders are tiny and completly harmless compared to aussie spiders. we have pics of house spiders as big as a cd case!

samzyzg
04-06-2012, 03:48 AM
I have heard about aussie spiders, my cousin freaks out about her cats incase they eat one xD

Cathii
04-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Lavender - my saviour :) I have a lavender elephant that I will defo be keeping by my bed now! :D Anyone know where to get some lavendar water from? I reckon I'll be keeping some around my house now.

Cupcake
04-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Lavender - my saviour :) I have a lavender elephant that I will defo be keeping by my bed now! :D Anyone know where to get some lavendar water from? I reckon I'll be keeping some around my house now.

Just get those little bottles with a spray nozzle, put some lavender flowers in it and fill it with warm water :) and voila!

Cathii
04-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Just get those little bottles with a spray nozzle, put some lavender flowers in it and fill it with warm water :) and voila!

Ooh thankyou ;)

Cathii
04-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Will it stress out the hammies though as they live in my room?

Cupcake
04-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Try and spray only the most susceptible areas such as window sills and entrance to your room as well as maybe room corners (spiders like corners cause it's easy to start up a web)
I wouldn't use lavender much around hamsters as I think that their olfactory sense is very sensitive and they might end up with allergic reactions :| I'm not entirely sure but I don't plan on using lavender too much in Cupcake's room

Cathii
04-12-2012, 03:53 AM
Okaii, thanks for advice!