PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Playpen.

Keflan
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
I am thinking of making a playpen for my little hamster. Just wondering if anyone has ever made one before and what they used for it?

Im thinking of wood but then they can chew through it. Plastic, I would need some machinary to smelt it into place.

Anyone have any ideas? I have a guinea pig playpen but that seems a little too big for a hamster.

Thanks

Mona's Humans
03-15-2012, 02:50 PM
see....

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/6837-playpen-how-make-correx-playpen.html

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/25768-playpens-post-pics-yours.html

Keflan
03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
After seeing some of those, I could always just buy a see through pastic box and put her inside of those to run around in. Obviously tall enough that she cant climb out.

StarlightSerenity
03-16-2012, 08:35 AM
You will be hard pushed to find one that's big enough to be worthwhile - or tall enough so that it can't be climbed out of!

I used a plastic storage box as a playpen for when Luna was a baby, she quickly grew out of it!

Keflan
03-16-2012, 08:51 AM
I found some wire mesh I was thinking I could just make a square out of it and use that for a playpen but she could easily climb it and also knock it over.

StarlightSerenity
03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
You could cable tie it - but if you make one you might as well use it as a permanant cage - lots of people here have bin cages :)

Keflan
03-16-2012, 09:51 AM
yeah, looking into a bin cage, just need to find a big enough box. I cant go Ikea though as the closest one is about 38 miles away. So just going to look around for one.

Clare
03-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Ah this thread is useful, cheers for those links mona's humans!
I had one of those wire ones that you can buy but brownie just climbs out, I also thought the storage box idea was good but even large ones turned out to be too small, then you need somewhere to store a huge box too.

Definitely going to consider making one.