PDA

View Full Version : are the current hamster show pens ethical?

Matty Day
02-19-2008, 08:08 AM
is it me or our these pens way to small surely the hams deserve some more room roughly 30cm by 30cm i think personally that they should be allowed a wheel, food bowl, water bottle and some bedding. I can understand no hidey holes as it would be hard for the judges to get the hamsters out.

Holly
02-19-2008, 09:02 AM
The reason the pens are as they are, I'm told, is for several reasons. Hamsters can obviously be difficult to catch in larger pens and they have this habit of hiding away in any bedding.

The problem with giving them food is that, in an unfamilliar pen, most will madly pouch it all - it is then impossible to judge them. It has always been compulsory to include a piece of vegetable in each pen for moisture and it is now compulsory to also give a dog biscuit (supplied by the club).

I do think that, as hamsters tend to curl up and go to sleep in the pens, having a small show pen isn't quite as awful as it would be for an animal that is awake all day - a rabbit, for instance. Most hamsters are in them for one day less than once a month - the cage they are in at home and how much exercise they receive at home seems far more important to me.

However it would be nice to have bigger pens - can't really agree on the food bit though in view of the pouching issue.

Bunsey
02-19-2008, 11:12 AM
yeah, the reason for no food is the pouching issue. they do have a dog bone and veg in there. i think it would be nice to have the pens a bit bigger, enough to walk up and down. I don't think they'll be changed though, as breeders with 50 pens aren't going to want to buy all new ones. I do agree that they're too small.

Matty Day
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
ok lets foregt the food thing why cant we have wheels and water bottle in show pens if conformity is the issue say everyone has to use one brand or colour of wheel and water bottle.

Bunsey
02-19-2008, 11:29 AM
i agree... i just think getting everyone to agree who has 50 pens would never happen. the breeders would have to pay so much to get wheels and bottle and fit the big cages in the car etc. Personally i would do it, but i doubt big hamsteries would ever agree and they are the ones that the shows mainly cater for

souffle
02-19-2008, 12:01 PM
As the shows are held during the day the hammies generally just curl up and sleep. They usually nibble their veg and biscuit and then nod off. Ours do not travel in the pens but in large travel boxes but they sleep in those too. I would like to see a water bottle particularly in summer but I believe that they are allowed if you wish. The hamsters are constantly stewarded for signs of any problems so anything amiss would be picked up quickly. At a large show they would never fit lots of large pens in. The dog biscuits can easily be pouched by a Syrian as our Sonni lost many points for having half a dog biscuit in each pouch! If you want to show you will have to decide if your ethics will allow it or stick to pets where you can take them in their cage. Even if you stick to pets you need to decide if it is fair or stressful for them to be exposed to potential infection from the public and the stress of a journey and upheaval. I must say none of ours ever seem to mind being penned for several hours and seemed to suffer no ill effects.

Matty Day
02-19-2008, 12:13 PM
am going to show because its the only way of building a good reputation for my hamstery. but i think that the show pens need to change why not just faze the old ones out gradually i.e. allow them but only sell the new bigger ones and I am not asking about massive new pens only 30cm by 30cm

Bunsey
02-19-2008, 03:09 PM
i don't think they can phase them out because all pens have to be the same for anonymity.

I always try mine in a show and if they hate the pens (i.e. Harvey and Mocha) then i don't show them again.

souffle
02-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Why not wait till you have been to a show matty then observe the hamsters and their behaviour then make your judgement. As Bunsey says we would also not show an animal that obviously hates the pens and also have often withdrawn someone who we thought was maybe not feeling like going to a show on a particular day.

Matty Day
02-19-2008, 05:28 PM
i have deiced on one thing the girls will be traveling in there cages so they have lots of rooom to mover around and dont get stressed.

and ill bring my carry boxes and movem em ovet that way

I_am_plankton
02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I have to say I am disappointed to read this thread, since without going to a show and seeing how much the people love the animals and that the hamsters are fine in the show pens that you can't possibly judge how things are run.

Just turn up and admire the day, and don't be too critical.