PDA

View Full Version : my how to run a small hamstery article first draft

Matty Day
02-12-2008, 03:22 PM
this is the first draft of an article i am writing for my website and for some reson it hasn not clicked in my mind im just not happy with it can anyone advise some changes or improvements

i know it isnt very good it just dosent feel right.

How to run a small hamstery with only one litter a year

This a guide designed to show you that it is possible providing all care conditions are meet to run a hamstery while keeping your bloodlines going with only one litter per year however it must be said that like all hamstery there are pros and cons which we shall examine latter but first we shall be looking at the methods of running the hamstery.

As with any hamstery you need to meet and exceed the basic level of care for every hamster in your hamster. Amway the main method of breeding for this model of hamstery works in one way to stabilise numbers at around 3 to 5 hamsters wile still breeding for quality etc. you only having one litter per year as it is the lowest number of litters you can get away with wile continuing your bloodlines

Year one this is always the hardest year for starting a single litter hamstery as the ages will not correlate so well with year two.

Here we have hamster a who is a four month old male he is bred to hamster b who is a four month old unrelated female you choose to keep hamster c who must be male I am not being sexist here its how the system works as males remain fertile longer than females and you cant breed females over eight months as there is a high chance of complications and males remain fertile until 18 months however there fertility goes down after 14 months so you are catching your boys at there late middle age

You wait twelve months from his birth day then mate him to a new female hamster d who is acquired 2 months two weeks before mating at most breeders wont sell there hamster before 6 weeks old
Who is a new unrelated female from a breeder we then keep hamster e who again must be male

Here we have the ages of all the hamster at the point
A 16 moths
B 16 months
C 12 months
D 4 months
E newborn

Now the chances are hamsters a ,b and c have passed on and there is also a chance that hamster d has passed
on to so now we have

D16 months
E 12 months
F 4 months
G newborn

Now you get a rough idea how this system works and we shall look at its pros and cons

Pros
for year ,1 and 2 only seven cages are neededas you only need 2 extra to separate the boys and girls to stop them breeding
And this drops down to 6 from year three onwards giving you a spare cage for a rescue or just a pet hamster of another species

Mimeses numbers useful if you are short of space for a large hamstery and maximizes time you can spend with each hamster

Can specialize I one colour mutation of certain hamster breeds

Only one litter to rehome per year

Cons

You risk all bloodlines on one male if he dies or is infertile your branch of the line dies

Cant breed for many mutations of Syrian hamster