PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Tight Murphy (Gerbil)

SnickersTheFirst
02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
I got this little man and his brother from pets at home when they were 8 weeks old. :) They were the first pets I had full responsibility for and I loved them to bits. Murphy was the cheeky one and Buddy was shy but would follow his brother everywhere.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/Ronaldo2007_2007/DSCF7052600x450.jpg

Buddy passed in March last year and Murphy hadn't been the same since. He was always active digging his tunnels though and making nests. All I had to do was call his name or even walk into my room and he'd be there in his meerkat pose, waiting for me. :D He'd always expect a slice of banana or some live mealworms. :p

I found him this morning just laying under the Megazorb, I thought he was gone but he was still breathing. He sat still in my hand and I knew something was up. He'd always tolerated handling but never liked to be cuddled and stroked. He sat in my hand for 6 hours today as he couldn't move about as his back legs weren't working. I thought he'd prefer to sit in my company rather than be whisked away to the vets to be prodded around. About 30 minutes ago he started wheezing, squeaking and went into seizure, thankfully it only lasted two minutes and my little man was gone.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/Ronaldo2007_2007/DSCF2347600x450.jpg

He turned 3 in November so I feel he had a good life, especially for a pet shop gerbil. He will always have a special place in my heart, being my first proper pet and all. His personality was just adorable and I'll miss seeing his little face peering through the tank at me everyday.

This is how we spent the day (he was still with me in this pic) :
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/Ronaldo2007_2007/DSCF6441600x450.jpg

Rest well little man! xxxxxxxx

Hamtastic
02-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Oh poor little guy, I'm so sad for you :( I think he and his brother were absolutely gorgeous, and I loved your stories about them. The last photo is so sad and sweet at the same time. I am very glad the two of you got to spend so much time with each other before Murphy passed. He was comfortable under your protection, and you could say all your good byes and have a long snuggle.
---
Have a great life at the Bridge, Murphy! I am very excited for you to find your brother and be complete again <3

kyrilliondaemon
02-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Poor Murphy, but he's reunited with Buddy now. I'm glad you got to spend the day together.
I'm sure Buddy was waiting to see Murphy the second he passed, and am sure they're playing together already.
Play well boys

Lougarry
02-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Sleep tight, Murphy. I'm so glad you were with him, Snickers, and that you didn't have to make that horrible trip to the vet tomorrow. xxx

PinkPrincess
02-18-2012, 11:06 AM
So sorry to hear this but glad that he was able to pass peacefully with you by his side and he didn't need to be taken to the vet. Play well at the bridge Murphy with Buddy xxxx

SnickersTheFirst
02-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Thank you for your kind words. In a way, I'm relieved he's gone as it was heartbreaking to see him unable to move but he was so bright eyed and reasonably happy all day.

At least he's with his brother now, they always were inseperable. xx

Humphrey Furball
02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm so sorry about Murphy; his passing would certainly have been easier for him having you there and knowing he was loved; I hope him and Buddy are playing together again at the bridge x

Womblehands
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Rest well Murphy, he has a fantastic life with you

TraceyH
02-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Aw, what a bittersweet picture the last one is. I'm sorry you lost him.

louisbs
02-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Sleep well Murphy. Play nice with your brother at the bridge.
*Hugs*

Mona's Humans
02-18-2012, 12:14 PM
thinking of you, gerbils are such wonderful little animals, and i'm soo glad that they both had a great home with you :)

fluffymunchkins
02-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm so sorry snickers :( They will be reunited up there and at peace together.

Sleep tight beautiful man x

debs
02-18-2012, 05:11 PM
sleep dreams Little man :(

Sammybingo
02-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Snickers. I had a terrific fondness for hearing about the lads, and then this lad, in more recent times. They made me think Gerbils are super-ace. :). I am glad you were together on his last day, providing comfort and love. I'm sure he and Buddy are back together, doing some big old tunneling right now, and chittering about how you were a fab Gerbil-mummy :). Big hugs. x

LoveMyHams
02-18-2012, 09:05 PM
He looks very peaceful in the last picture. I'm sure he was very glad to have you all day. Have fun playing with Buddy in heaven.

racinghamster
02-19-2012, 01:58 AM
Condolences Snickers on your sad loss. I recall much the same actions with some of the wee mice I kept as pets and had more than a few pass on in my hands or on my knee in much the same way. It`s comforting to know that Murphy went at home and in his own time where he was loved and with his mum. I`ve had gerbils myself and know the hole they leave in your heart when they go. Rest in peace Murphy. You were a gorgeous little guy. x

Lynternette
02-19-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm so sorry Snickers. Murphy, you are a handsome little chap. I bet you and Buddy have lots of things to talk about and mischief to plan. Play well Murphy.xxx

SnickersTheFirst
02-19-2012, 03:35 AM
Thank you all for the replies, every single one helps a lot.

Gerbils have such massive personalities and are so entertaining to watch! I hope I can continue to own them in the near future. I'll miss seeing his little face waiting for me everytime I enter the room. :( But he had a long life, so for that I am grateful. xxx

CoolcatNatNat44
02-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Im so sorry Snickers :( R.I.P Murphy<3

Pompompoms
02-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm so sorry Snickers, what a lovely little guy Murphy was :(. I'm so glad you got to spend all that time with him and he could pass on the the bridge feeling so safe and loved. I'm sure Buddy was there to meet him to carry on their adventures together xxx

Hope
02-19-2012, 02:35 PM
So sorry to hear about Murphy Snickers. He was such a cute little guy and had such a cheeky personality. I t must have been very moving to have him rest with you today, you are very brave, I am not sure I could watch one of my pets die, even though I would know that they would want me to be there to provide love and comfort.

Sleep well Murphy x x

shazzy
02-20-2012, 04:08 PM
So sorry snickers. I've never had gerbils before but had a soft spot for your boys. They r playing together again now xx

SnickersTheFirst
02-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Thank you all!

I could tell he was slowing down in the last few weeks and I saw his age catching up with him so in a way I'm relieved he passed when he did as his quality of life was decreasing. xxxx

Jodzie04
02-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Oh bless your heart, that must have been a heart warming but also very difficult time for you. He was very lucky to have your as his owner and to be with him until his last breathe.
R.I.P

RachK
02-22-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you lost Murphy. Huge hugs xxxx RIP little man

SnickersTheFirst
02-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Thank you both, the comments are much appreciated. xxxx