PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Peaches

Basia
02-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Well here she is, my moment of weakness, and I'm not sorry at all. The more I have looked at her this evening, the more pleased I am with her. If she stays as beautiful when she grows up I am going to mate her with Chunky.
She is a little bit scared so these photos were taken through the plastic of her cage. As you can see she came to the front to see what on earth I was doing so I think she will be easy to tame.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/9Feb08Peaches007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/9Feb08Peaches003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/9Feb08Peaches002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/9Feb08Peaches001.jpg

The uneven colour is due to the flash, she is quite dark peachy in the flesh. :D (and I loooove her ).

Matty Day
02-09-2008, 04:15 PM
i love creams she is one good looking ham

the flash makes her look like a satin

Basia
02-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Well spotted Matty - she is a long-haired satin.

Spuds Mum
02-09-2008, 05:01 PM
oh Gill she looks a beautiful girl - a nice wedgey face too! You may have got yourself a real find there. She looks very similar to my Dubs (guess that may be because he is cream LH satin!) I am sure you will have lots of fun together! :D
Welcome to your lovely new home Peaches :x

suga
02-10-2008, 12:28 AM
She's beautiful - welcome little lady :-)

Holly
02-10-2008, 02:07 AM
She looks really pretty, Gill - lovely coat, quite dark already which is good as she's satin. Her shape is very simillar to Aero - especially the back end, though Peaches looks a bit longer haired than Aero.

I know you've wanted a LH Satin Cream girl for a while (I was hoping we'd have one you wanted in Smartie's litter - though we already have 7 babies probably accounted for - eek, hope we have enough - so it's a good thing you found her :P ).

I'm sure she'll tame nicely now she's got you (she might not have had such a chance with an inexperienced owner). How impressive you must have been showing the assistant how to handle her - wish I could have seen that! 8)

Bunsey
02-10-2008, 02:45 AM
wow she's lovely! it's very rare you see a LH cream satin... don't think i've ever seen one at a show! what breeder is she from?

Basia
02-10-2008, 03:39 AM
wow she's lovely! it's very rare you see a LH cream satin... don't think i've ever seen one at a show! what breeder is she from?

She came from Pets@Home Bunsey. :oops:

I_am_plankton
02-10-2008, 03:52 AM
She is beautiful Gill!!

souffle
02-10-2008, 04:22 AM
Aww what a cutie she is. She has a lovely thick coat and she does look like a baby just now doesn't she! She seems to be settling well too. :lol:

Mollz
02-10-2008, 07:07 AM
She's a real beauty! I'm sure she'll be very happy with you :D

jayne
02-10-2008, 08:47 AM
She is beautiful, love her colour!
And i love her name too, she suits it :wink:
I can see why you gave in to her :P

DonnaB
02-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Awwww what a beautiful girl..... my first hammie was called Peach and the same colour. :D

Jane
02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Awww, she's gorgeous :D

I thought you shouldn't breed hamsters from pet shops though? Just curious really because I'm confused now :lol: I'm probably wrong too :P

Basia
02-10-2008, 10:51 AM

I thought you shouldn't breed hamsters from pet shops though? Just curious really because I'm confused now :lol: I'm probably wrong too :P

Your right Jane, sensible people don't but I may take a chance seeing as I know the genetic background of the father. I think the worst that will happen is that Peaches is carrying lots of colours other than cream and although she is typey herself she may not throw babies like herself. Chunky isn't carrying any semi-lethal genes so even if Peaches is the babies will be okay. I wouldn't imagine she is though, she barely has a speck of white on her anywhere.

I_am_plankton
02-10-2008, 10:59 AM

Also that's a general thing told to inexperienced people who don't know about colours, what to put with what or whatever who just breed for fun. Many breeders throw in the odd pet shop hamster to mix their lines up a little since, as Jean Tye says, there are only ever so many lines between her and other breeders that they need new lineage sometimes :)

Given she has a nice type, lovely colouring and is a satin and a LH it suggests that she didn't just come from anywhere if you see what I mean.

I would go with it Gill, at the very least you might get some non showers but I highly doubt it!

Catja
02-10-2008, 11:09 AM
She's beautiful, absolutely beautiful :D And if you got her from our local pets@home then I am really jealous too :wink:

Holly
02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I think it's very important that inexperienced hamster people take away the idea that they shouldn't breed pet shop hamsters as there are a million pitfalls in breeding two hamsters with unknown genetics - as well as the sad fact that the hamster breeding mills are already breeding far too many "pet quality" hamsters than there are lifelong homes for.

If you breed to show - and are, therefore, breeding to improve type/colour etc in your lines (as well as the all important temperament of your hamsters) then having the odd totally unrelated hamster to throw into the mix is desirable. Most show hamsters are fairly inbred (I've only got to look at my pedigrees and compare them with Gill and Teresa - we've all got related hamsters, some related a couple of times over!). As Gill also says, she'll be breeding to a hamster with a full history and she knows (as well as it's possible to) that he doesn't have any dodgy recessive genes so, even if Peaches does, it won't matter as two are needed to cause problems.

At the end of the day I wouldn't think using lots of petshop hamsters if you only breed a few litters is a brilliant idea - Tristar and the other breeders who regularly visit petshops for new hamster are extremely experienced and know what they are looking for - they also breed a LOT of litters and have outlets for those babies who aren't show quality in the end - whereas the small timers like those of us here don't do that.

Having said all of that I'm not (really!) planning on breeding Aero, my very own petshop baby. However, if she ends up being an unusual colour and and she grows and shows really well then I'd be stupid not to, wouldn't I? :wink:

Jane
02-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Ah right, thanks for clearing that up guys :wink: I knew you wouldn't do anything "bad" Basia, I was just curious :)

Basia
02-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Peaches has been with us for 5 days now. Her taming is coming along really well and she is bright and curious and as you will see from her photo below she has really GROWN.

Valentine Peaches:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/gdb234/14Feb08008.jpg

Holly
02-15-2008, 01:50 AM
She's very pretty, Basia - and it's great that she's taming up nicely. I just need to make it to P@H and back today with some log bridges and two boys - and no hamsters :P

Basia
02-15-2008, 03:04 AM
She's very pretty, Basia - and it's great that she's taming up nicely. I just need to make it to P@H and back today with some log bridges and two boys - and no hamsters :P
You can do it - I know you can! Not so sure about the sales tables at Highworth next week though. :wink:

Mollz
02-15-2008, 11:37 AM
She is looking lovely Basia - what a pretty little face she has and such gorgeous fur too!

Julie: I think you should get a pair of blinkers to wear at p@h so that you don't have chance to see the hammies :D However, as Basia said, the sales table at highworth will be very tempting - although I must remember that the spare cage and toys I have are for one of your babies! Although I do have room for more and my mother is desperate for another one...

Spuds Mum
02-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Gosh she really has grown. She is lovely too! :D
Glad the taming is going well, I'm sure she will soon be very happy to play with you! :x

Holly
02-15-2008, 12:32 PM
However, as Basia said, the sales table at highworth will be very tempting - although I must remember that the spare cage and toys I have are for one of your babies! Although I do have room for more and my mother is desperate for another one...

You've got no chance then, Mollz - wonder what colour you'll be taking home? :P (I think your mum had better join the forum :wink: ).

I'm determined not to come home with any new babies from Highworth (or Alcester). I am about at my limit numbers-wise - or will be once we have our litter and keep the two we are planning to keep. I'd have liked a second spring litter but have more or less decided against that now as we are almost full at the inn.

I do have space for one other hamster but I'm keeping that space free - if Aero turns out to be a Dove I might be looking for nice Dove boyfriend for her - he'll need a full pedigree and to be very showy as she doesn't have those things so he might not be easy to find though.

[/i]

Basia
02-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Gosh she really has grown. She is lovely too! :D
Glad the taming is going well, I'm sure she will soon be very happy to play with you! :x

She already plays with me. :D I lift the top off her cage and she jumps straight out onto my lap. She loves being stroked and talked to and climbs all over me. She doesn't attempt to get out anywhere else in her cage, just onto me. She just gets jumpy when I pick her up but we are getting there, I'm sure she will soon get used to it. She has gone up into the hamster room this evening, I have had her a week tomorrow so I think her quarantine is over now.

Holly
02-15-2008, 12:35 PM
She sounds lovely, Gill! Do you think she's settled enough to come to Highworth to see the hammy experts?

Mollz
02-15-2008, 12:39 PM
You've got no chance then, Mollz - wonder what colour you'll be taking home? :P (I think your mum had better join the forum :wink: ).[/i]
I have the same suspicions and must resist putting an extra carry cage in the car! My mum has gone from someone adament that she doesn't like hamsters to absolutely loving them (she is as excited as I am about breeding - and that's months away!) and hoggs my handling time - I never get to play with them any more :wink: We fight for the laptop as it is, I can't imagine it if she was on here too :shock: (although I may suggest it too her).

Gill, she sounds so tame already and has obviously already bonded with you. If she is confident enough it would be lovely to see her at Highworth!

Basia
02-15-2008, 01:19 PM
I think Highworth might be a bit soon for her but I may actually enter her in a show later on if she stays nice, just to see how she gets on. The picture does not show her true colour, she is much darker. She is a very strong character, she doesn't like her ball, she is fascinated by my other hamsters coming over to her cage in their balls and kisses the boys through the gaps in the ball. (The first time she met the other hamsters was yesterday because she has been in quarantine).
She walks all over me as if she owns me. (Well she does really, they all do :oops: )
I think I might need a blindfold at Highworth. I am picking up my golden boy but I may need restraining near the sales tables. I am re-arranging the hamster room tomorrow and moving the bed out which means I have loads of room for shelves...... I also have 6 empty cages. Sadly the Imac I bought on ebay was damaged in transit, the blue lid was smashed in the corner. It would make a good second tier if anyone is wanting one. I only use standard Imacs so it is no good to me.

Gust0o
02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Wow, she's absolutely gorgeous!

If you ever need anyone to pet-sit whilst you're on holiday... ! :lol:

Basia
02-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Wow, she's absolutely gorgeous!

If you ever need anyone to pet-sit whilst you're on holiday... ! :lol:

Thank you - she looks very similar to the photos of your Hobbs. You are obviously a sucker for a satin cream too!

Gust0o
02-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm hoping I will be!

Hobbs has yet to arrive from Surrey, where's being cared for some Sprogpages - hopefully in the next week, to fortnight, they'll be making a run north.

To be honest, I'm that looking forward to him, I'm tempted to just race down! :)

Sean
02-17-2008, 04:02 AM
She's gorgeous Basia, one of the nicest looking hamsters i have ever seen!

Basia
02-17-2008, 04:51 AM
She's gorgeous Basia, one of the nicest looking hamsters i have ever seen!

Aw, thanks Sean. The best thing is that she is developing a really nice personality too. She is getting sooo affectionate. :D