PDA

View Full Version : Toffee: The TMG

starbug
02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
On Saturday morning, we had to say goodbye to out little Toffee, also known as the ToffMeister General or TMG.

Toffee came to us from Pets at Home in February 2009, when he was about six weeks old - we worked out from this that he was born the week before Christmas and gave him the birthday of 18th December. I chose Toffee because he seemed the most active and lively of the hammies there, which is ironic because he was actually very laid back and didn't like coming out of his bed.

Toffee didn't really do 'playing'. He never used his wheel when we were in the room - we only knew he'd used it because the sticker on the front had moved! His usual reaction to any new toys was to sniff at them and then ignore them. I soon found out that it was a waste of time to get out the playpen, as he would either chew on the bars or hide inside something until it was time to go back to his cage. His only real 'game' was to run down to the edge of my husband's armchair and walk into his hand, moving sideways to fit along hubby's palm. He would do this over and over or climb up the sides of the armchair and try to get as far as possible over the side. He also liked climbing inside my sweater and silently nibbling on my clothes. I had to sew up the pocket on one top because he ate through the plastic zip!

He was very gentle and never bit anyone in anger - just gave us an experimental nibble if our hands smelled like food. He was also very determined and would forcefully push our arms away if we were bloking his path. He would push at my husband until he had to get up out of the chair to make room!

In his old age, Toffee lost some of his fur around the back. Before last Christmas, I gave him a fabric Christmas tree 'bed' from Pets at Home, shaped like a pointy hat with a base. He loved this and played with it more than any other toy he'd been given. He would spend ages scratching around, trying to dig a hole in the base (in truth, he barely snagged the fabric). I used to say he was trying to dig to Australia.

Toffee began to slow down and we assumed it was his age. But by Friday 3rd February, he was in a bad way and at one point we thought he was having a seizure. I took him to the vet the next day, expecting him to be put to sleep, but the vet said he had a respiratory infection and gave me some Baytril.

Toffee responded well at first, but then declined rapidly and the Baytril didn't seem to be working any more. I put cucumber and walnuts (his favourite food) near his bed, but he was barely eating. On Friday 10th, I got him out of bed for his medicine and it was obvious that he wasn't going to get better. We were both very upset. I held him in my hand for a long time and didn't want to let him go. Early on the Saturday morning, my husband picked him up and Toffee looked at him as if to say, 'I've had enough now'.

On Saturday 11th, we took him to the vet together. He was in a carry case, with his furry Christmas tree lying on top of the bedding. The vet said there was nothing more we could have done and that Toffee probably had a secondary condition such as a heart problem, which the Baytril wouldn't be able to fix. He said he would put the gas into the carry case, so that he wouldn't have to disturb Toffee by lifting him out. So he died with the Christmas tree, which he loved.

He's being sent to Summerleaze for cremation and will be returned to us in a little casket. We're going to print out a photo to put by the casket. We both want to get another hammy, but Toffee will always be the first one we had together and we'll never forget him. He had a huge personality for such a small creature! We both miss him very much - it feels all wrong to walk in the living room and not see his cage there.

I've attached a few photos, which will display as thumbnails because I don't have a an online photo account.

Goodnight, darling Toffee. Play well at the bridge and wait for us. xxx

starbug
02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Some more photos.

suga
02-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Starbug Toffee is lovely and obviously captured a huge part of your heart. Sleep well little one :-(

souffle
02-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I am so sorry starbug and your tribute is so beautiful. He certainly had a huge impact on your lives. He was handsome, charming and a true friend.
Play well Toffee xx

starbug
02-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Sorry if this sounds a bit off, but I honestly thought this thread would have had a few more replies. It feels as if no-one cares about Toffee than the mods and that hurts. My other thread about him being ill had hardly any replies either. Was it something I said or doesn't my face fit?

louisbs
02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
RIP Toffee. Play well with all your friends at the bridge.

Lynternette
02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
What a handsome little boy Toffee was. I can see from your Mum how loved you were. I only joined HC just over a week ago so haven't been here long enough to get to know you. Be a good boy and play nicely at the bridge. xxx

kyrilliondaemon
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Starbug - I care! I cared in your other thread too though so am not sure I count :(
I felt a bit awkward about posting when I'm 99% sure I'd already said I was sorry he's gone, but for the record...

I am still sorry he went. Seemed to be a lovely little hamster with very caring owners, and the memorial says a lot about him. I'm also glad to finally see him and that christmas tree together - just as they always should be.

Play happily at the bridge Toffee.

Pompompoms
02-16-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm sorry starbug, please don't feel that way. There seem to have so sadly been quite a few hams crossing to the bridge in the last few days, and sometimes it takes people a little while to catch up. I try my best to answer every thread in here, but had to take a couple of days to gather myself again to start doing it as you will see in this section that I lost my George three days after you lost Toffee.

Your tribute was beautiful and really gave an insight into the sort of ham Toffee was which is lovely. He sounds so special, and you must miss him very much. It is the kindest thing we can do to help our little ones to the bridge when all we want is for them to stay with us, and it hurts so badly.

I will ask my George to seek out Toffee at the bridge where they will be safe till it's time for us to see them again.

fluffymunchkins
02-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Please understand Starbug, the amount of threads on the forum is huge and sometimes threads accidentally get missed. Some people prefer to send their prayers without posting. It nothing against you or Toffee.

Toffee will be remembered as a much loved member of the hamster forum. You went through such a lot together, sleep tight Toffee xx

Hope
02-17-2012, 02:48 PM
So sorry to hear about little Toffee, he was such a little character and clearly very loved by his 'mummy and daddy'. He was a hadsome chap and I love the photos of him in his cuddly christmas tree.

Run free Toffee, there are lots of HC friends waiting up there at the bridge for you. xxx

Lougarry
02-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Good night, lovely Toffee. Your mummy and daddy will obviously miss you loads. Very sorry for your loss, Starbug, but glad you had happy times together xxx

samzyzg
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
:( Toffee sounds like a similar character to my muffins. I'm sorry for your loss but i'm sure he's happy knowing how much use cared for him..