PDA

View Full Version : Big Georgie Pompom

Pompompoms
02-14-2012, 06:32 AM
My lovely big Georgie was PTS at 9.40 this morning. It was time for him to move on to the bridge as there was nothing more I could do for him here and I wanted him to pass before the pain and discomfort escalated any further.

His tumor had reached the size of a golf ball, and as it stuck out from his side it was making his movements more and more difficult. His tummy was a deep deep purple which had spread, and hugely swollen which again meant he was struggling. He was able to get up to eat and drink, but he would go straight back to bed after that exhausted. He also was making noises in his sleep which he's never done before leading me to believe he was in pain. I've never had to have a pet PTS before, so I struggled with when the right time would be. The vet was fantastic, and having talked it through at length yesterday and today with her, I do feel at peace with my decision.

George you were my first Syrian, and you will always be responsible for my falling head over heals in love with bigger hams. The day I rescued you it took me an hour with boiling water, a knife and a brillo pad to clean your cage. I think you'd last been cleaned about six months before. You had no toys, no food, and a dry water bowl, yet you were from the off the friendliest most gentle little guy and I was instantly smitten with you.

I took you to the vet the day after you came home, as you were home now where you were meant to be, and the vet believed the large swelling on your balls was a tumor that needed to be removed. So three days later I hoped for the best, gave you a big kiss and cuddle, and left you in their hands. As it turned out it wasn't a tumor, it was infection from the squalor you'd been living in, and you needed a full castration, you also needed a heavy does of antibiotics to clear the infection that had spread through your body. The vet thought you had at most two weeks to live had we not got you any help, I was so grateful you pulled through, you healed up really well, and were soon my little bundle of happy energy.

It was so heart warming to see how happy you were, I sometimes wonder if you think you passed on in your op and woke up at the bridge, as your new home was ready when I brought you back, and it was a world away from everything you had known.

Georgie, my big G I will miss your happy little face peeping out when I call you, I will miss you nudging me when you want to get past, I will miss seeing you enjoy all the foods you loved so much as if it was the first time you'd ever had them, I'll miss you dive bombing off the sofa, I'll miss you coming up through your puzzle play ground on to your platform and meercatting hopefully that it was your turn to come out, it always was, as you know I couldn't resist you. I'll miss seeing you hop about in your cage, seeing you chilling in your hammock, running over your bridge and climbing into your wodent wheel through the top hole and splatting at the bottom.

You were so funny George, I love that you put exactly one piece of the orange stuff in your harry hamster in your water bowl every night without fail. I love how when you had cake you would sleep with it on your head so you could sleep nom it. I love that you were obsessed with gaps, although I didn't love it when you got behind the kick board to the kitchen cupboard and it took me two hours to get you out ;). I loved watching you climb the stairs, I loved watching you race around the hall with your bum wiggling away. I love when you'd sit and watched tv, I love that you'd make a big thing of shuffling backwards and lifting your bum right up when you had a wee leaving a big big gap as if you stil lhad your balls. I love that I loved you and you loved me.

So you go to the bridge my beautiful boy, JamJam and The Cloud will meet you there with the babies we lost this year. There are so many special new friends for you to make that are missed as much as I miss you. Mum will never be far away though my gorgeous, your pawprints are deeply imprinted in my heart, and I will come find you again one day in the blink of an eye for you when the time is right.

I love you Georgie xxxxxx

The day after you got home, all clean and happily asleep

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/Georgecropped.jpg

Platform snooze in the sunshine

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/piccy008-4.jpg

Your favorite tv watching spot

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/piccy0029-1.jpg

Hehe aww

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/71011.jpg

Yum

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/piccy033.jpg

Last cuddle with mum

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/piccy035.jpg

shazzy
02-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Honestly, that was so moving I am sat here at work in floods trying not to let anyone see. Your love for George was so emmense and he loved you the same for giving him such a perfect and loving home. Sleep well little man, dont let your lack of balls put you off chatting up the ladies at the bridge, it doesnt make you any less of a man ham and a gorgeous one too :) We'll miss you at HC xx

Lynternette
02-14-2012, 06:46 AM
You've made me cry. What a beautiful eulogy for Georgie. He'll forever be in your heart.
You did 100% the right thing. At times like these you have to put your feelings to the back of your mind and do what's right for any pet.

Night night Georgie, Play nicely at the bridge. xxx

TraceyH
02-14-2012, 06:54 AM
He looks such a cutie. I'm glad you rescued him and gave him the great life he deserved.

Lougarry
02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
That was so beautiful. I feel like I really knew Big G and very sad he was called to the bridge. but what love he knew, Poms. You were both blessed. sleep tight, George xxxx

RachK
02-14-2012, 07:57 AM
What a lovely tribute to a beautiful little man. I am so sorry you have lost George. It hurts so much to lose a much loved pet. He is at peace now & had the most wonderful life with you Poms xxxx

Amethyst_ice
02-14-2012, 08:15 AM
how lovely, so many chuckles in there and all this talk of balls! I really could picture him from your lovely tribute, play well sweet xxx

kyrilliondaemon
02-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Awww... Thats a wonderful tribute to a wonderful hamster. It really does say so much about him, and also shows just how much you always loved him.
He did know fantastic care with you though, and I'm sure he's safely with Jam and The Cloud at the bridge now.
Play well George xxx

KatiePillow
02-14-2012, 08:52 AM
George was such a strong and gentle looking hamster, he really hit the jackpot with you poms, and was so lucky he pulled through all the squalor to live well with you.

He always seemed such a character, and I loved that he was a big ham surrounded by the poms.
I know it hurts to put a hamster to rest, but he will rest easy at the bridge, and you gave him such a wonderful gift, in setting him free.
Sleep tight Georgie, remember to watch over your mum from up there. x

Sammybingo
02-14-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm writing this with a wadge of tissue stuffed up my nose (I'm a classy cry-er) - a very beautiful memorial for a very beautiful little fella. I have had a huge soft spot for Georgie - that he had been through so much and yet was still such a sweetheart spoke volumes about his character, as well as the care and lovely home you offered him. He must have thought he won the lottery finding you :). You can tell by the pictures what a chilled out, happy, confident fella he was. I'll really miss hearing about his mischiefs. I hope he enjoys getting to meet Jam and Cloud, what a funny looking trio they would be :) x

Hamtastic
02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Aw Georgie :(

Poms, you always write the best essays about your hams. They make it very real imagining what it's like to have lived alongside your poms--small or large. Georgie was a bit of a long-distance foster syrian for me too every time I read updates about him because of how infectiously affectionate your posts were.

I feel useless writing in the memorials section, as yes, it's hard for everyone to lose a friend, every time, and there's not much I can add to help. But I want to say that you'd done an amazing job with George. I think he lucked out so much to end up becoming a pom. He may have had hardships in his life no ham will envy, but he passed a happy ham. There's got to be a special colony of poms growing at the Bridge that are extra cute and calm and sharing legendary stories about their earthly time in your household :D

souffle
02-14-2012, 10:24 AM
I am so very sorry Pompoms. George was one of those rare twin heart hamsters who seldom enter our lives. So deeply entwined part of him will always be with you which the other part runs wild and free in perfect health at the bridge.
Play well beautiful and handsome man and twinkle down on your mum every now and then.
Hugs to you too Pompompoms xxxx

fluffymunchkins
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
He knew exactly how lucky he was and I'm sure he cherished everyday since being with you.
You made such a brave desicion to let him be at peace and he will run free with all our beloved HC hams.

Sleep tight George, you were so gorgeous and willd early be missed xx

AliKati
02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
I love what you've written. I've always liked friendly George, and your memorial just made vivid the little details that make him the character he was. I know he had a good life when he came home with you, and I bet he knew he was a lucky ham. I'm sorry for your loss. Rest well, little George.

Pompompoms
02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank you so much everyone, only people that love hams so much get what it feels like to lose one of your hamily. It's been a tough tough day today :(

Womblehands
02-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Rest well beautiful George, I always had a soft spot for you. Being the Godfather of all the little poms. You had a lovely life and I will always be grateful for your mum sharing you with us.. I shall miss you xx

vanilla-yazoo
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM
im so sorry hun that it had to end this way, but you changed his little hammy world, taught him love and kindness, and through it all he was your friend.

we will all miss this beautiful boy, the giant among the poms.
x

suga
02-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Beautiful. Sleep well xxx

Gizmodo ^_^
02-15-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm so so sorry about George
you gave him such an amazing life, and he will join The cloud and Jam up there xx

Pompompoms
02-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Thank you very much, it really helps to read all the lovely things people have said about him. This is the last picture I took of George, he had a blueberry muffin and absolutely loved it, after he'd had enough and was falling asleep again I took him back his nest to spend the night one more time xxx

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/Rican_2010_album/Glast2.jpg

Amethyst_ice
02-15-2012, 08:15 PM
awww look at him tucking into that ^_^ Zell my ratty had some cake before i took him :') xxxxx

Mikayla
02-15-2012, 08:25 PM
I've really been putting off posting here, as I'm no good at this kind of stuff.

I'm really, really, terribly sorry :( Your post made me cry my eyes out.

RIP Georgie, you will be greatly missed.

Hope
02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
I am so sorry to hear about George Pompoms, he was such a beautiful lad and always full of mischeif and fun :) He made me smile lots :)

Your tribute was so fitting and so lovely, you clearly has such a special bond.

Sleep well George xxx

HorseyHolly
02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
A wonderful tribute for a clearly well loved little ham. He was beautiful, scurry free George xxx

fluffymunchkins
02-16-2012, 03:52 PM
That was a wonderful last treat, and I'm sure you will treasure that photo dearly. A tear comes to my eye everytime I think of George, but I can't tell you how happy I am to see just how blessed he really was.

You've had some very hard losses in your hamily and your such a star for carrying on despite it all. I know the feelings of doubt and guilt that can follow after losses and sometimes I just don't think you could bare another. Yet the pain all becomes worth it in the end x

Pompompoms
02-16-2012, 09:03 PM
That's very much the way I have felt about Porridge since he passed FM, I have never and will never forget him and he always brings a tear and a smile when I think about him.

The losses are so hard to take, but the joys they bring are impossible to put into words, I feel so lucky to have had George, to have had and have all my hams.

George's body lays with The Cloud, Jam and the babies now, in the flower bed where the flowers brighten my days as they did. His spirit runs free with my boys and all the HC hams we all miss so much xxx

fluffymunchkins
02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
N'awww *hugs* it helps to have someone who feels the same way :)
May we continue to have this strength x

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
02-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Ive only just seen this (been away again) and I just cant believe that Big G has gone :'( He was so sweet and such a cutie, a gorgeous, gorgeous hammie :( Sleep well George, Cookie will be waiting for you over the bridge xxx
Thinking of you Poms xxx *Hugs*

Pompompoms
02-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Thank you Erin, it was a bit of a shock how quickly and suddenly he declined into the final stage of his illness. There seem to have been a lot of HC hams pass this week, sad times for many :(

SnickersTheFirst
02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm sorry that little Georgie has gone. :( He was a gorgeous boy!

sleep well little man! xxxxxx

starbug
02-18-2012, 01:39 PM
What a lovely little man he was! Play well, Georgie.

Pompompoms
02-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Thank you both, he was indeed so lovely, and such a huge character in the pompoms household xx

Humphrey Furball
02-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm so sorry, George was such a handsome funny chap, he will be missed here on HC very much. It is so hard making the decision to help our friends to cross the bridge, but you gave him the best thing you could in his time of need. I hope you see all your friends at the bridge Georgie xx

Pompompoms
02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Thank you, there seem to have been a large number of hams over the last couple of weeks, and a lovely gerbil too. Many new friends to be made at the bridge.

Jodzie04
02-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Bless you! I had to stop reading half way through as I couldn't stop crying.
He was so gorgeous! You made the right decision for him, I am sure it was very difficult but the right one and he is at peace now x