PDA

View Full Version : Fingers crossed Vala may be expecting!

Spuds Mum
02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Well, after a couple of weeks of trying (every four nights) last night we finally mated Vala and Yowie successfully.
As some of you may know, Vala is our beautiful short haired golden huge girl, and Yowie is a visitor to us from Sheryl at Carrington Hams. Yowie originally came for a visit in November, and we returned him thinking that vala may be expecting, but sadly we were wrong.
We borrowed him again at the Bradford show and since then have been trying to pair them with no luck. We had just about given up and decided that Vala was too old (she is a year old but has had pups before) we decided to give it one more try last night and everything went wonderfully.
If we are lucky to get pups then we should get some goldens carrying dark grey which will work well for our future plans for our dark grey-ham Norton!
Keep your fingers crossed for us - hopefully should be 23rd February if she is expecting! :x

souffle
02-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Great news spud's mum. I think that now the nights are getting lighter the females are starting to come in to season more regularly so here's hoping you are sucessful this time. Keep us posted at the first sign of a bulge!

Mollz
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
That's great news. I hope she is pregnant, they will make wonderful babies - just don't show me any pictures or I'll want one :wink:
Can't wait to hear the results and will be anxiously waiting the 23rd of Feb!

Spuds Mum
02-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I think that was where we got it wrong last time - Vala is such a big girl she has lots of bulges! :roll: bit hey - who am I to talk :oops: :D
I am excited again though as they both have done well showing and have really good type and size etc.
Will keep you up to date.

PS - hugs to the family - I can't believe what youve had to go through the last couple of months x

sorry Mollz - we must have posted at the same time and it looks like I ignored you....lots of pictures will definitely be forthcoming if it happens I'm afraid (at the right time of course) you may wish to ignore any posts from me for a couple of weeks after 23rd! :D

Holly
02-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Oh thats great news, Teresa :) ..Vala really is a beauty and I'm sure she'll have some gorgeous babies!

*Must stick with Selfs, must stick with selfs, must stick with selfs.....eek :? :oops:

Basia
02-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Great news spud's mum. I think that now the nights are getting lighter the females are starting to come in to season more regularly so here's hoping you are sucessful this time. Keep us posted at the first sign of a bulge!

Somebody should tell that to Cara!

I'm so glad you got a sound mating Teresa. Fingers crossed for some golden pups. :wink:

Spuds Mum
02-08-2008, 04:52 PM

I'm so glad you got a sound mating Teresa. Fingers crossed for some golden pups. :wink:

Oh does that mean she didn't stand :( never mind, there is always another chance four days later. Will keep fingers crossed for both of us!

Spacemonkey
02-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Yay, more babies! Mine are growing so fast I need a small pinkie fix :D

Holly
02-09-2008, 12:56 AM

Oh dear :? ...her sister was standing last night (and this morning as it happens, Will and Josh have had them all out this morning too), as were Minnie, Molly and Caramel....just not Smartie who is the one we want to mate. We aren't going to mate her until after Highworth but I thought it would be a good idea to work out when she's likley to stand - and she hasn't done since I decided that :roll:

Spuds Mum
02-09-2008, 05:59 AM
isnt that typical? These girls eh? Fingers crossed for after Highworth - wont it be lovely to talk baby-talk again? :D

Holly
02-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Smartie stood tonight - which means, if she sticks to the four day rule, she will be on heat on the Monday night after Highworth.

Funnily enough her mum was mated on a Monday night :wink:

Any luck with Cara, Gill?

Basia
02-09-2008, 03:20 PM
No. I'm going to leave her now and go back to my original plan of mating Truffle after Highworth and depending on how many babies she has and what homes I have found for them, mating Cara at the end of March.

jayne
02-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Yay! Thats great news Spuds mum :D

Hope all is well and Vala is keeping good!

Spuds Mum
02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Well I know it is certainly not a fool proof method, but we tried a test mating last night to see if Vala stood. she didn't, so I'm hoping that this means we may have some little Yowlas soon! But hey - i thought that last time and nothing came of it! :D

Yaffle
02-13-2008, 06:29 AM
oooooh exciting!
I bet those pups will be gorgeous!
Can't wait for more news :D

Holly
02-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Excellent news, Teresa, am keeping my fingers crossed for Vala this time.

Spuds Mum
02-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Yes well. Claire, our lumpy girl Vala has fooled us before! So I really don't know, but it would be lovely to have some very special offspring of Vala and Yowie to grace our home! And in good time, maybe to be a girlfriend/boyfriend to another ham.
She hasn't trashed her cage so far - and she is already looking pregnant (but then she is a very large girl)
If it doesn't take this time we may talk to Sheryl about getting a pup of Yowies from her (do you know whether the cream of Sheryl's gave birth?)
Hope your little guys are doing well - give them all a cuddle from me, and hopefully I will be able to have a cuddle this weekend! :D

Yaffle
02-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Any news on Vala Teresa?

Spuds Mum
02-21-2008, 10:51 AM
No nothing to reoprt. I'd be actually astounded if she was expecting now, I think we missed the boat with her unfortunately. Never mind.
She would be due tomorrow if she were expecting, so I guess that will answer the question one way or another!

Matty Day
02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
i hope you get woken up by many tiny squeks tommorow

Spuds Mum
02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
aww thanks Matty, but if we do, it will probably be more likely to be a cat wanting her breakfast than lots of hammy babies! :D

Holly
02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
That's a shame, Teresa :(

I know you are broody for the patter of tiny feet so have you got anything planned. Did I read something about RECs? (I hope so as I'll be looking for a REC in late spring/early summer :wink: ).

We will mate Toby and Smartie on Monday night (Smartie stood tonight as expected) so our tiny feet should be coming a week on Thursday :wink:

Basia
02-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Truffle stood tonight too but that is no guarantee she will stand on Monday, my girls are all over the place at the moment.
If she does, we may have the patter of tiny feet in a couple of weeks too. :D

Matty Day
02-21-2008, 05:46 PM
i shall also have the pitter patter of tiny feet as i am going to mate one of the girls to the boy i shall be collecting(he<s already four months old) in a few weeks but I am trying to time the litter to be born on the 2nd of April my birthday probaly wont do it though

Not sure which of the girls it will be yet deciding on highworth results

I know that Athena will be in heat on Saturday I know because she always runs round with her tail up every four days and she freezes in a classic mating pose when I stroke her during this time

Not sure on Aphrodite cant even tell on wheel use she is such a wheel adict

Spuds Mum
02-22-2008, 12:18 AM
good luck you guys with all your babes.

Holly - I am going to mate BB with a gorgeous REC banded of Sheryl's - seriously beautiful with fantastic type etc. Even though I am moving away from the creams I think a REC with fantastic type will really add into my cinnamon lines!

Holly
02-22-2008, 02:57 AM
Holly - I am going to mate BB with a gorgeous REC banded of Sheryl's - seriously beautiful with fantastic type etc. Even though I am moving away from the creams I think a REC with fantastic type will really add into my cinnamon lines!

I agree!

When do you think you are likely to do that?! Is the banded girl LH or SH? Is it possible to ...er....put my name down for a REC (pref LH but SH would be more than ok!) from the litter? :oops:

Spuds Mum
02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Of course Julie, but I will point out the banded boy at the next show Sheryl is at - he is SH but I dont know whether he carries LH. Any pups would though as BB of course is LH.

Not kidding - this is a seriously gorgeous ham, and I really hope something comes of this one! BTW - got my dates wrong - was thinking the weekend was closer, Vala wouldn't be due anyway until tomorrow although I'm convinced its all irrelevant anyway.

Looks like I will probably be having a litter later than you and Gill again! If you are both beginning after Highworth.

Yaffle
02-22-2008, 06:46 AM
That's a shame Teresa, I wonder if it would be worth trying to borrow another golden male off Sheryl or do you think she might just be getting too old?
I really need to start seriously thinking about what colours I want to start breeding. I mated Yeti and Yaffle for the experience of seeing the pups grow up as opposed to because I specifically wanted to start a cinammon line, but I think now that I have seen how gorgeous the pups are I would really like to stick with cinammons. I was possibly also thinking about goldens which I could breed to cinammons (so it's a real shame Vala hasn't taken), but saying that I would really love to breed Minx (sable) I'm very confused!

Matty Day
02-22-2008, 06:54 AM
my eventaul aim is to have a rely good dominant spot chinese line ive got my plans for next few years on the chinese front settled anway. im going to mate one of the offspring to a dom spot female and carry on from there.

souffle
02-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I think Vala may be too old now spud's mum. It is often the case with older females that they do not take. She will make a lovely show ham and pet though now.

Holly
02-22-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm so sorry it looks like you didn't get the lovely babies you wanted from Vala, Teresa - I guess she is just too old. Still she's a beauty with a lovely nature and she's perfect for showing and cuddles.

Of course Julie, but I will point out the banded boy at the next show Sheryl is at - he is SH but I dont know whether he carries LH. Any pups would though as BB of course is LH.

Not kidding - this is a seriously gorgeous ham, and I really hope something comes of this one!

Well I do have Jean at Tristar looking out for a LH REC or Cinnamon for me I have to admit (if she's remembered, will remind her tomorrow!) but they seem to be seriously difficult to find right now, though I'm in no hurry.

Your babies sound like they will be gorgeous - I've always loved Butterbean and I'd love a Butterbean baby 8)

Looks like I will probably be having a litter later than you and Gill again! If you are both beginning after Highworth.

I think we are both going for Monday night - but you know what they say about the best laid plans and all that :?

Spuds Mum
02-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I certainly do know about best laid plans, but will keep fingers crossed for you both anyway - and Souff - I think you are right we have missed the boat. Its a shame we would have liked her offspring, but she is still so special to us just as she is. You remember when we got her we had no thought of showing or breeding her we just wanted her to have a good home for life - and we've done the showing where she did well, and tried the other, but at the end of the day, she is still Arti's Vala-ham who we both love! :D

Matty Day
02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
good luck to the pair of you :x

i am going a for the tuesday after next later due to quarantine my new Chinese boy

still after homes for two thought assuming there are 5

Basia
02-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Aw Teresa, I'm really sorry. I was keeping everything crossed for you. She probably is just a little bit too old and dare I say a bit too *curvy*. Believe me, this is not a criticism, I myself am a curvy person. :oops:
I did used to find it very difficult to get a sound mating with the rabbits if they were a bit on the large side though....
I'm sure Vala is not sorry at all, she has had all the fun and no pups to take care of! :P

Spuds Mum
02-22-2008, 12:39 PM
I think you are right Gill, and as for being curvy, she actually gets less treats than the other guys since her last #pregnancy'. She is just naturally a big girl I guess - reminds me of me!

I did get my dates wrong though - so tomorrow will definitely tell!

Basia
02-22-2008, 12:45 PM
I think you are right Gill, and as for being curvy, she actually gets less treats than the other guys since her last #pregnancy'. She is just naturally a big girl I guess - reminds me of me
Tell me about it, Pudding is 230g and counting. I'm worried she will be put off the table tomorrow for being too fat. I really watch what I feed her but the only exercise she takes is when I force her to go in her ball for a while. She totally ignores her wodent wheel except to store things in it. :roll:

I did get my dates wrong though - so tomorrow will definitely tell![/quote]

She may give you a surprise yet!

Spuds Mum
02-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Pudding will do really well - she wont be disqualified for excess fat - though in extreme cases they can lose a few points - but that is when the fat hits the floor when they are stood and that doesnt happen with Vala never mind Pudding - so I am sure at that weight she will do really well - remember the standards say as large as possible but not fat!

Really good luck for your first time showing tomorrow - wish I could be there! :D

Basia
02-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Pudding will do really well - she wont be disqualified for excess fat - though in extreme cases they can lose a few points - but that is when the fat hits the floor when they are stood and that doesnt happen with Vala never mind Pudding - so I am sure at that weight she will do really well - remember the standards say as large as possible but not fat!
Thank goodness for that but she's not called Pudding for nothing. :?

Really good luck for your first time showing tomorrow - wish I could be there! :D[/quote]
Thank you. It has been something positive to concentrate on during this awful week. I am actually quite excited this evening, I have packed everything up ready, except for the hamsters.
I wish you were going too but hopefully we will manage the same show soon. My OH owes me I miss so many shows because of his Villa home games. :roll:

Holly
02-22-2008, 03:01 PM
I also think Pudding will do very well, Basia - if you look at the top end of the table points wise it's always really big hamsters - size might only be 10 points but it seems to really help overall scores.

Spuds Mum
02-22-2008, 03:07 PM
I might be joining you in a breeding diary after all!!!!! :wink: :wink: and not talking about Vala here or Butterbean!

Holly
02-22-2008, 03:09 PM
????????????????????

Do you mean yourself, Teresa??? :P

Come on - spill?????

Spuds Mum
02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
ahhh Julie you are so so funny - I spat my coffee out through my nose at that one!!

More likely you Julie (or at least one of your little girls!!!!!!! :x :x

Holly
02-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Hah!!!!!!!!! Brontasaurus then?! Has she done the deed??? And who with???? I'm now very excited, one of my babies to be a mum 8)

Am I right?

Spuds Mum
02-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes, with a certain well known gay comedian!! Yup they are having a rendez-vous as we speak!

I have a plan of course as I know I'll get goldens some carrying cream and some dark grey! Shes got a good type she's really come on and is quite sturdy, so it may give Arti and I what we would really like and mean that our lovely creams beauty and type are not wasted as there will still be occasional litters..

does that sound as though Im not viewing them as pets? I am, I mean that in the way that means I can enjoy my pets and their future generations, rather than just getting colours we want from breeders. So someday we will have a lovely dg show ham and be able to say - our lovely Bronte was his grandma or something like that!

sods law will be when Vala delivers 20 pups tomorrow!

still planning on the BB mating too though.

souffle
02-23-2008, 03:47 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooo not my daughter......and on my Birthday too.
Father Paws
2 today.
:lol: :lol:

Spuds Mum
02-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Message from Bronte to Paws:

Hi Daddy,
Well just a quick note to say happy birthday, and to tell you that I got married last night. I may have a very special birthday present for you in a fortnight or so.
Hope your humans spoiled you rotten, have a great day
Big Kisses from me!
Bronte (saurus)

souffle
02-23-2008, 06:54 AM
Message to a wayward daughter, Bronte, from father Paws

Dear Bronte,
Congratulations on your wedding however I am somewhat disappointed that you did not invite me! :lol: I have not heard a little knock on my cage either asking for your hand in marriage, in fact who exactly is this young whippersnapper who has stolen my little girl? I hope you know what you are letting yourself in for. Any questions on that front, ask your mother.
I had a very nice birthday and received a lovely card from your brother, my son Napoleon but am still awaiting the cards from the rest of my family :wink:
I also had a delightful seed cake made by my loving human servants and a present.
Your loving father
Paws.
Ps Uncle to be Napoleon sends his love and wants a wife now!

Spuds Mum
02-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, I guess its no surprise to everyone but Vala didn't give birth, and seems quite happy to leave her puppy rearing days behind her!

We still may be posting a diary though, as you will have seen from previous posts that we mated Bronte to Grey-ham on Friday, so pups may be expected on 9th March.

I don't know whether its because she's short haired and its noticeable, but she already has a larger tummy and it is very firm! :shock: I'm suddenly praying that there are not 20 pups in there :shock:

Postcard from Bronte to Paws

Dear Daddy, I'm sorry, it was all so unexpected, and in my first flush of love, I forgot to send you a card! Love to Poly and tell him to pick a good sister-in-law for us! Please please forgive your loving daughter x x :cry:

PinkEmily
02-25-2008, 03:50 AM
haha your all nuts! Im sittin here in uni laughing my head off and getting strange looks. Naughty Bronte for not inviting her dad! :lol:

jayne
02-25-2008, 06:41 AM
ROFLMAO :lol:
This is why i love HC :lol: The banter :lol:

Spuds Mum
02-25-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry, I have to say that we do tend to get carried away especially those of us who have related hamsters!

shhh - dont like to say anything but its that Souffle, she is the batty one really, me, I'm perfectly normal, its not me at all, honest, its all her, but we just have to humour her :wink: lol

But glad to have made you smile Jayne and PinkEmily, there are not enough smiles in the world I think. (and do you think I've protested too much that I am normal?? :D

jayne
02-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry, I have to say that we do tend to get carried away especially those of us who have related hamsters!

shhh - dont like to say anything but its that Souffle, she is the batty one really, me, I'm perfectly normal, its not me at all, honest, its all her, but we just have to humour her :wink: lol

But glad to have made you smile Jayne and PinkEmily, there are not enough smiles in the world I think. (and do you think I've protested too much that I am normal?? :D

:lol: Do i think you have protested too much??
Mmmmm, ever so slightly :lol: Hey, we all need to be a bit batty every now and then! If it makes someone laugh/smile then its gotta be worth it!
And no need to say sorry Spuds Mum, its all good :D