PDA

View Full Version : Jake and Hannah - new rescues!

Bunsey
02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I couldn't resist these guys. I saw them first on a preloved type of site and resisted them, and then i saw them again on another forum! they were obviously stalking me and i was meant to have them :lol:

I decided to just take Hannah at first as i thought she'd be less likely to get a home being 7 months old. Then when we got there my mum held Jake and she really liked him and decided to have him! So he is her's and Hannah is mine!

They were from a home where the girl had 30 hamsters and loads of babies. I'm not sure if she bought pregnant ones or something. It didn't seem like she'd wanted them all. Some of them were living in carry cases with just a bowl of water :cry:

Anyway, this is Hannah... she's a golden and 7 months old. She had a litter and ate the babies apparently :(

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/decemberhams107.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/hamsters%20feb%202008/decemberhams109.jpg

She loves her new cage! She was previously in about the best cage that they had there - one of those round ones with a see-through dome roof.
http://www.dabners.co.uk/cdview/dabners_images/merlino_s.jpg
all other cages were starter cages.

Anyway, this is Jake. He is 2 or 3 months old. he's grown a little bit, but they're both REALLY tiny, like the smallest hams i've ever seen (apart from Mocha)! Jake is black, obviously! He was in a basic hamster starter cage without toys or wheel and just a bowl of water. When i bought him, luckily one of the other hamsters got moved out of a carry case and into his cage, so at least the other one could walk around. Jake also loves his new cage, especially his wheel, roof tunnels and bridges!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/decemberhams110.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/ayms2/hamsters%20feb%202008/decemberhams112.jpg

he's in a rody there, as we had to wait to fetch him a gabber, which he loves.

suga
02-07-2008, 08:18 AM
They are lucky to have a home with you. Both look very contented and happy. I love the black one. b

Hanlou
02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Aw, bless them. :(

....sounds like they're lucky to have found you...

I rather like Hannah's name though, I think it's the first time I've heard of any animal with the same name as me! :D

Jake's a lovely colour, he does look small, but am sure he'll soon be built up and spoilt rotten. Look forward to hearing more about them. They're lovely!

souffle
02-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Awww Bunsey they are lovely. I cannot beleive people can get away with keeping them in those conditions. Poor little mites. At least these two have been taken into a lovely forever home. Good for you and your mum. :lol:

Basia
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
You've come to the rescue of 2 more little hammies, well done Bunsey. They do look lovely and I'm sure they will thrive under your care. :)

Jessalina
02-07-2008, 11:37 AM
I couldn't resist these guys. I saw them first on a preloved type of site and resisted them, and then i saw them again on another forum! they were obviously stalking me and i was meant to have them :lol:

:lol: It was definately meant to be!

They are both lovely, and very lucky to have a good home at last.
Those poor other hams though :(

Spuds Mum
02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
They are both lovely Amy. And so lucky to have found a lovely home with you.
Welcome Jake and Hannah! Enjoy your new cages and lives :x

babyboos
02-07-2008, 01:20 PM
That is so good of you - it makes me so mad when hamsters are allowed to breed and live like this :cry: :twisted:
but did you say you bought them? I hope you don't mind me asking but did the girl take money for them?
I would urge you to report her to the authorities also - they could at least come and take them all away to better conditions than she can manage to provide for whatever reason, her fault or not, they all need out of there.

Bunsey
02-07-2008, 03:02 PM
yeah she charged for them, but i don't care about that, it was only £10 for both. She had re-homed most of the 30. there was only about 10 when i got there. Stuff she said really confused me, like she said Hannah ate her babies but she also talked about having to separate some babies who were attacking their mother and made it seem like Jake was Hannah's son. So, did she eat them, or did they attack her... or did she have 2 litters? I didn't really listen, i just wanted to take the hams and leave! There were some more people coming after us. she had a sign outside the house directing people! I wish i could've took the other ham who definately didn't have a home yet (one in the carry case). She wasn't tame because she hadn't got round to her yet. She was a SH sable and at the time my SH sable had just died so i couldn't consider her. I was just pleased that buying Jake meant that the sable got a proper cage, albeit a starter cage. I hope they've all been bought now. When i take some more pics, i'll send them to the seller (she asked to be sent pics) and ask if all hams have been sold :wink:

babyboos
02-07-2008, 05:22 PM
sounds very strange indeed - I am concerned she may do the same again IF this was a deliberate breeding? Hopefully they have all got new homes but then this may encourage her?! Hard to tell with some people sadly. At least you got two out of that nightmare sounding setup, and well done to you again for taking on an older hamster.

Holly
02-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Aww Amy they are absolutely beautiful, poor little mites - well done you for helping two more little guys who need it so badly. A Gabber Rex must be like heaven for them.

They were from a home where the girl had 30 hamsters and loads of babies. I'm not sure if she bought pregnant ones or something. It didn't seem like she'd wanted them all. Some of them were living in carry cases with just a bowl of water :cry:

Oh no! How absolutely awful. I guess if she wasn't rehoming the others you'd think about informing the RSPCA - or the police? I just hope that things got out of hand for her and she's learned a valuable lesson (ie she's not responsible enough to have pets, gah :evil: )

Whereabouts are they and do you think there are any left? In case anyone here wants to help one of them......

jayne
02-08-2008, 06:02 AM
They are both beautiful looking hams!
So glad they are with you :wink:

Mollz
02-08-2008, 07:25 AM
They are gorgeous and must be so happy to be with you now.
I agree, if she has animals living in that condition and isn't rehoming all of them then you could consider getting the RSPCA involved.

Bunsey
02-08-2008, 11:41 AM
they're near Derby. I doubt she'll get more. it seemed like she was desparate to get rid of them and they were really pleased that i ended up taking 2 instead of the 1 i came for. She was only a young girl, but apparently her mother hated them and wouldn't go near them!

I will always take an older one if there is a choice as i know they are less likely to find a home. a lot of people won't look twice at anything more than a baby. My rescue Harriette (the SH sable i mentioned) was nearly 2 years old and she died a month later (23rd jan), but i'm glad i gave her a safe and loving home for her final month. The rescue i had before that died after 3 months (mocha).