PDA

View Full Version : can anyone advise me about buying a show quality syrian

Matty Day
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
as you know I have decided to get a show quality Syrian can anyone give me some advice about choosing particularly as I might be buying at north Somerset show.

colour wise i will problem be looking at the following colours
dove
mink
roans
Creams
dark eyed white
silver grey

not sure on coat length might go for either

might go for a satin depends

I am going to show him and if I do pick amazing show winner I might offer him out as a stud. but only if i do pick a relay good show ham

pophammy
02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
When choosing a colour for showing you are best to start with a colour like cream, as you can usually show this colour for a long time. Our first show hamster was a cream.

The colours dove and mink, although pretty, are classed as non-standard, which means that you do not get any colour points for these, so it would not be a good idea to get one of these if you want to do well at shows. You cannot put these in any duplicate classes either.

Colours such as dark eyed white, roans and silver greys are not often on the sales bench. I would not get a roan for my first show hamster. You would be best choosing a straight colour first and then perhaps getting a pattern. The patterned animals do not tend to do so well on the show bench as they have to have spotting/ticking/a perfect band.
For a white animal you would have to keep it in top condition to avoid staining, which involves a lot of care. Silver greys are known to be laid back and gentle hams, but are in the class 'any other colour' and so are competing against a lot of animals, so you would need a very good one to do well.

For a first time ham I would go with shorthair, as the longhairs require a lot of grooming to keep them looking nice and to avoid mats. Satin hamsters all go in one class, with all colours. This class is normally very large and it is hard to do well in it, and many breeders won't want to take a satin on stud.

For a first time show hamster, I would recommend you choose a black eyed or red eyed cream from a good breeder such as Tristar or Bourne Valley. A cream will show for quite a long time, and in fact the colour become richer with age and the hamster improves. We have shown creams up to two years.

To be honest I wouldn't get a hamster for showing off the sales bench, instead I would speak to a breeder whose hamsters you admire and reserve the colour of your choice from an upcoming litter. This way you get your pick and a better show hamster than ones you may find on the sales bench, and it will be the colour you want.

Hope you find your new friend soon, and remember to get your parents' permission, as I think you are going to breed your Chinese too!

Holly
02-06-2008, 02:01 PM
I'd go with Pophammy's advice - if you are only showing one Syrian hamster I'd get a Standard colour as you can show in all the duplicate classes and have more chance of winning something (ie in Novice or Young Stock, for example). Doves and Minks are gorgeous but you can only enter them in Non-Standard.

There seem to be a lot of Creams around just now (and that's just me and Teresa - lol!), some of the classes are huge which makes it more difficult to come away with anything. I don't see many Whites on the show bench but as Pohammy says they are difficult to keep in tip-top show condition as their coats mark easily. I've bought a couple of gorgeous hamsters off the sales bench (Rolo and Toby) but the best breeders don't tend to put their best hamsters on the sales bench as Piophammy also says.

Basia
02-06-2008, 02:36 PM
What kind of show life do goldens have? It might be a good alternative to cream, although I know it wasn't in your list.
I notice from Pophammy and Souffle's advice that I have done all the wrong things for a novice - roans - long-haired. :oops: Well, I like a challenge!
I think Tristar or Bourne Valley would be very helpful to you Matty. They are keen to encourage people into the fancy and have both been very good to me.

Matty Day
02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm only going to have one Syrian as Chinese will of course be my main breed.
so basically I'm only after a pet one who I can show and maybe win a few times :x

souffle
02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
A good Golden would do well for you Matty especially a pure Golden with good markings. This sort of male may well be considered as a 'stud' hamster. It is worth thinking about. There is also always a straight class just for goldens and it is a standard colour.

Matty Day
02-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I've got a problem here I like cream a lot but I also like golden - which to choose?

what are the show classes like for both are the both popular classes or is one less popular than the other?

babyboos
02-07-2008, 04:11 PM
A really good Golden is actually a lot harder to achieve than many think I would go with Cream personally if you asked for my opinion.

souffle
02-07-2008, 04:24 PM
I would say if you can get a really nice golden the classes would be smaller for it as in your area of the world some of the best cream breeders live and compete so some cream classes will be large. Remember though that it is not just breeding that makes a good hamster but also the way it is raised, fed and nurtured which play some part. Maybe when you see some examples at the show you will be able to decide.

Matty Day
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
just out of intrest if i do pick that show winner what kind of genes is it possible for a golden to carry ?
is it possible to have a right mix of colour genes?

souffle
02-08-2008, 03:44 PM
They can carry a right mix of recessive genes however a really nice pure golden should not carry any colour genes. Recessive extra colour genes can exert an influence over the golden making it maybe paler and less desirable. It would be a pure golden of excellent type, size, fur etc that people would want as this can be used to improve these points in other colours. Mating back to good pure golden through lines improves the strength of the gemes. Remember Matty it is not just colour that makes a good hamster in the judges eye. You should read the standard to see what to look for as you must consider all points and we also pay a lot of attention to something which is not marked or in the standard which is temperament.

Matty Day
02-08-2008, 05:14 PM
thanks its just i dont not know a thing about syrian gentics yet.(maybe a thing for the summer break)

however i am now extermly compentent on the ins and outs of chinese gentics :x

Matty Day
02-09-2008, 03:48 PM
right i thin im might get in concant with bourne valley or tristatar and see what they have can anyone give me an adress?

Basia
02-09-2008, 04:16 PM
They will both be at Highworth Matty, as will half of the forum here. Sue is the show secretary.