PDA

View Full Version : Update on my zoo!

MzWiz0915
02-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi HC!

Some of you might have read my post last week that MrWiz and I were hoping to adopt a kitten named Mira from our local shelter. Well, our application was approved! When I went to pick up our new family member, the woman who runs the shelter suggested that we should adopt Marcie as well, because she and Mira are good friends :)

So we did!

Now we have 2 cats, Mira the 6 month old purring machine and Marcie the 2 year old love bug.

Before the cats came to live with us, we moved our 4 hamsters into my home office, which is now the hamster play land and is covered in toys and such :mrgreen:

I may not have a space to do my work and stay organized, but I have more furry babies than I can keep up with ;)

Pics:
1-Little Miss Bonnie
2-Mira stretch out & asleep in MrWiz's lap
3-The Kitties in our bedroom
4-Mira asleep on her back in a cardboard box
5-Miss Marcie sitting on our bed

kyrilliondaemon
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Awww, those are great photos :)
I'm glad the hams are safe and think its fantastic that you turned up for one cat, got offered two and seem very happy with your choice to take the two of them lol

Oh and when you own enough pets, I think "organisation" changes its meaning, it goes from "able to arrange everything tidily and practically with space for humans to work when needed" to meaning "able to fit the pets and their items in as tidily as possible while the humans fit around them" lol

How have the cats settled in? Or how are they settling? (Not sure if you got them today or previously)

MzWiz0915
02-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Haha I like your definition of organized :) We didn't get the cats on the same day, I went to pick up Mira alone last tuesday, and adopting another pet is a two person decision. We adopted Marcie on Friday.

Her first 2 days here Mira would follow me from room to room and would cry if I wasn't by her side. She wouldn't let me sleep in my bed either, I had to lay on the couch with her at night. But, the people at the shelter told me she has never been alone before because she spent the first 3 months of her life in an animal hospital, and another 2 on isolation in the shelter because she was the lone survivor from a litter of kittens with distemper virus (she did not contract the virus)

Marcie has had a harder time adjusting. She lived in the shelter for over a year, so she was settled there and used to the routine. Now she's doing okay, but she's still a little timid and nervous about the different sounds and smells of our home. We're a little worried about Marcie because she isn't eating well, if she doesn't start doing better soon I'm going to go back to the shelther for advice.

Mira is better now that she has Marcie to keep her company, infact, I havent seen her in a couple hours because they're asleep upstairs together.

kyrilliondaemon
02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Ah ok, that makes a bit more sense. I was thinking deciding on another cat there and then seemed a bit sudden but some people work that way so I didn't question my assumption.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems they've had, sounds like Mira definetly needed the company, and I hope Marcie settles properly soon. Poor girl, it must be a big change for the two of them, and I do hope they both relax and start to think of your place as their new safe home soon.

MzWiz0915
02-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks! I think Mira considers this her home...When I was leaving to go get Marcie I brought the cat carrier into the living room and she made a series of strange noises and hid under the couch as if to say "I am not going back to the shelter!" :rolleyes: silly girl

I started to worry about Marcie's appetite today though when she turned down tuna fish after begging for some while I was making lunch...I've never heard of a cat not liking tuna

kyrilliondaemon
02-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Awww, I'm glad Mira is happy with you anyway :)
Sounds very cute that she hid from the cat carrier lol

Good luck with Marcie though, have you checked what she was fed at the shelter? I assume you'll have thought of it and seen if that helps, but if not it might be worth a shot. Hopefully the shelter can share some of her likes and dislikes after having to care for her for so long.

MzWiz0915
02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
I bought the wet food that they recommended for evening feedings, and dry food that they gave me coupons for to leave out during the day. If she doesn't do better tonight I"m going to the shelter tomorrow. Maybe she's not a big eater, or maybe she needs a vet visit.

Thanks for the advice kryilliondaemon :)

KatiePillow
02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
They are cuties, I'm glad Mira is settling in well, and hope Marcie settles in soon.
I'm very much jealous of your zoo right now!

tjherman
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Marcie definitely needs some time to settle in! What a (great) change for her though. Maybe look into the calming treats or pheromone sprays designed to help relax cats. They're supposed to help with stress from moving, new additions, separation anxiety, etc. I am trying a calming collar and soft chews for my RagaMuffin with separation anxiety and aggression issues towards the OH's cat.

MzWiz0915
02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks KatiePillow :)

tjherman- That's a good idea! I saw a calming spray product at the pet store, maybe I could spray that on her favorite places to lay down.

kyrilliondaemon
02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Good luck with it, and let us know how she gets on if you get the time please.

MzWiz0915
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks, and I definitely will :) These furry mischief makers have stolen my heart