PDA

View Full Version : Minni and Belle fighting?

PinkEmily
02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I mentioned a few days ago that Minni had a scab on the bottom of her back. I've just had hold of her again tonight, (she was being very good!) and looked for the scab to see if it was ok, and I found lots of little scabs the size of pin pricks and the bigger one on the right hand side, about the size of a yoghurt drop.

I'm worried that if I split them up, maybe it isn't Belle doing this and they will get lonely, and it's all for nothing. I don't see them fighting, Belle is a bit bossy at times, they don't spend that much time together. Minni will usually be in her bed when Belle is on the wheel.

Could the scabs be from before I bought them, or maybe a skin problem??? They are only at the bottom of her back, no where else.

Help me :(

Holly
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I hate to say it but I think they are fighting, Emily - it sounds like Minni is being bullied quite badly by Belle and now that blood has been shed it will escalate very quickly - in fact it is escalating already. The fact that they dont spend a lot of time together is also a clue - poor Minni is probably treading on eggshells trying to avoid annoying Belle. Just because you haven't see them fighting doesn't mean they aren't doing it when you aren't there. I'd be worried that Belle will really hurt Minni - or worse - if you leave them together.

When biting the dominant one always goes for the most vulnerable spots - that's why the wounds are at the bottom of Minni's back - there are no teeth or claws there for her to fight back with. You will need to keep a really close eye on these wounds - they may just heal up but there's a risk of infection and abscesses forming - if you see any swellings or pus or they aren't healing you need to get her to a vet.

My advice would be to split them, I think - I know you don't want to split them (I didn't want to split my winter whites either but it became necessary). I thought it sounded like they were fighting when you posted the other day, now that there are multiple wounds it sounds even more like it :(

<eidt>I have a single robo living a Rody - he's a rescue that Leanne took on (she still has his "ex-wife" who was bullying him badly). I'm sure he's much happier alone than in a situation of constant stress where he never knew what was going to happen next - we get him out in the bath every night and give him a long ball run and he seems happy and settled. I'm sure your girls would be ok alone too.

souffle
02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I too would advise you to separate them emily. The scabs are from bites and it is likely that the submissive one is also not getting enough food. Remember they are up all night when you are asleep and it could suddenly turn very nasty. Pophammy and I were really upset when we had to separate our two but honestly they are so much happier now not having to 'watch their backs' all the time and getting their full share of food. They have both won best in shows recently so I don't think that is a sign of loneliness do you? Hamsters don't have the feelings that humans do and I think that you will find they will seem a little 'lost' for about a week but then will settle and be far happier. You can put one in a large bin for now until you sort out accommodation. This happens all the time and really dwarfs should not be sold as sociable as they seldom are. It is nothing to do with you. It is just nature and the fact that caged life is just not the same as in the wild. You will also feel much more relaxed and at ease knowing you are not going to find a bloodbath one day when you come home.

PinkEmily
02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Thank you for the replies :) I will get the Rotostack ready and move her into it when she is awake. Will go to Pets at Home on monday and buy her another Rody.

I had to split Chip and Dale up when they were younger, because they were male and female, I bought them when they were about 6 weeks old because the mum was bullying them. Chip kept squeeking at Dale, which made me double check the gender lol. Hamsters eh!