PDA

View Full Version : Got totally untame WW to nearly tame

chase
01-30-2008, 01:47 PM
A few weeks back I brought a pr of WW hamsters from a breeder. She told me when they start getting bigger she doesnt handle them so they were totally untamed and approx 6 months.
1st week I just tried to stroke them and leave my hand in the house beside their food while they ate. They screamed and hissed constantly. This wk I just picked them up gently each day and stroked them gently when I could keep them in my hand without them jumping. However tonight I picked up 1 of them he didnt scream or jump but just walked from my ungloved hand to hand quite relaxed.I think me and the hammies are feeling much braver. :x

PinkEmily
01-30-2008, 02:20 PM
screaming and hissing?? id run a mile haha. You seem to be doing really well :D

Holly
01-30-2008, 02:28 PM
screaming and hissing?? id run a mile haha.

Ha! So would I - sounds like you are doing marvellously 8)

souffle
01-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Glad to hear they are gaining confidence in you. keep up the good work :D

babyboos
02-03-2008, 10:45 AM
What great progress
I wonder why she doesn't handle them when they get older
regular human contact is essential especially in Russian hamsters who tend to regress quite quickly
not very responsible breeder?!

chase
02-03-2008, 11:00 AM
She can only touch hamsters when they are tiny when they grow she doesnt handle them . Just tubes them when she cleans them out. I thought it funny when I brought baby Chip from her she said she doesnt handle parents or babies but fell in love with Chip anyway. He was untame but as he is a baby its easier and he gets handled everyday by me or my son and is now totally tame , just more difficult when they are adults. She is frightened of hamsters but not rats so our rats from her are really tame.

babyboos
02-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Why is she breeding them then? How bizarre! Regular handling is as important an aspect of husbandry as keeping their cage clean. In fact if someone cannot commit to regular handling of a hamster I will not adopt one out to them, unless it is a Roborovski and they have two of the same sex so they keep each other company, but I still encourage them to try to hold them occassionally as it is important if they ever need to see a vet etc.

souffle
02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
If she does not handle them how does she sex them and health check them. I do not think she should breed animals she cannot offer full care and attention to. :?

chase
02-04-2008, 02:36 AM
I agree she should not really breed them. When she sexes them she picks them up in a towel as they are so untame. Think she normally sells them to local pet shop. Luckily i love handling hamsters so dont give up on them easily. She originally said that she hadnt time to handle them, didnt realise she was actually frightened of them and never handled them. It gives the breed a bit of bad name as her ads say the pairs are totally untame. All bit strange to me and wouldnt go back again. :shock:

Holly
02-04-2008, 02:45 AM
I agree with the others - breeding an animal that you are scared of seems a bit odd and not entirely acceptable to me as well :?

Good on you for taming him - sadly a lot of the ones without early handling that end up in petshops don't tame at all :(