PDA

View Full Version : Wood and tools for DIY hamster cage?

Lucinda
01-26-2012, 05:37 AM
Hi there :)

My boyfriend has said he's up for building my hams a cage after I showed him some of the homemade cages posted here. Hooray!!

I've made a rough design, but want to know what he'll need to make it. The lid will be mesh, and the base and frame made out of wood, with glass sliding doors at the front.

I think plexiglass would be best to use for the doors. I would also plastikote the wooden walls and base - can I get this from B&Q?

What's the best wood to use? I want something safe, but durable.

Also, do you know what tools I'll need to get? I know nothing about DIY, so will get a list together and raid my stepdads shed lololol...I assume a saw and sanding tool. I know nothing!

Any tips will be rewarded with virtual cookies :D

ETA: do expect me to post my design in the near future to get your ideas on flaws and improvements lol.

kyrilliondaemon
01-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Plastikote is definetly at B&Q, so that I can answer confidently. You even get a choice of lots of colours and if you want the spray or paint on stuff :)

Er... Not sure on wood I'm afraid :(

And for tools yeah, a saw would be good. A drill and screws might also be handy to attatch the mesh and hold the wood together. Something to sand is also good so yes to that. A tape measure is good for measuring the wood, as is a pencil or something to mark it. Am assuming those go without saying but am trying to list everything I can think of to be sure.
Also really handy - another person to help hold stuff in place to attatch it all.

Can't think of much else useful now, but hopefully thats helped a bit.

And I'm glad you'll post your designs eventually, I like seeing the plans for peoples cages :)

Mona's Humans
01-26-2012, 04:43 PM
afraid i'm useless at DIY (last time i tried i ended up with 12 stitches - doh!) so i can't really help, but i just wanted to say it sounds fab, and can't wait to see your designs :)

samzyzg
01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Try the wiki link for hamstercentral, it helped my boyfriend in making my hamster a bin cage. It may have other suggestions about other cages. Can't wait to see the cage :)