PDA

View Full Version : 30 / 40 Gallon Aquarium as a hamster habitat

Hamtastic
01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I have noticed that there are no aquarium reviews and decided to make one, as I am a huge fan, and all but one of my hamsters are in aquariums or aquarium-style cages. I used to use bins and ZooZone1s and such. While it might seem obvious what aquariums would be like as habitats, it's good to share some tips, photos, and set ups, especially for members who don't have access to many other good bin-style cages that European members can get. Even so, I feel that aquaria can be a superior choice in their own right based on certain criteria and are certainly worth considering as a home for a hamster or two.. or a colony! :mrgreen:

These criteria in which a good aquarium will win over another type of habitat cage are:

Visibility

Burrows, tunnels, your pretty set ups:
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/stereotypical11/P1010460.jpg
You can see your hamsters and whatever they are doing quite easily while they think you can't :D
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6589499553_b3e75592f5_z.jpg

Economical footprint

In other words, what you see is what you get for floor space. A 30/40 Gallon Breeder has a footprint of 36" x 18" or 91cm x 46cm, and, taking into account glass thickness, the inner dimensions that you get in floor space are 44.5cm x 89.5cm, which is approximately 4000 square centimeters and only 84 square centimeters smaller than a much bulkier ZooZone 2 with 4" of bedding.

Stylish and could decorate any room

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6604366101_f8d9a6673d_z.jpg
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/stereotypical11/P1010383.jpg?t=1326755321
An aquarium habitat looks effortlessly beautiful, if that's something you consider when choosing your cages. A beautifully set up aquarium can add to your space almost as well as a pretty fish tank with tropical fish, if you add some lighting.

Escape-proof security

An aquarium with a metal mesh top screen is chew proof and escape proof for hamsters who love chewing on bars, through plastic, and escape artists.

Ease of cleaning

This might actually not be obvious, but I find it easier to clean an aquarium than some bin style cages, such as Mini Duna or F.O.P. Gabia Tamburino--they have gridded plastic bottom which traps dust and dirt and requires washing. To clean an aquarium, I take out all the toys and accessories and scoop all the bedding into a trash bag, holding it inside the aquarium. Then I use a small brush with a dust pan to pick up small particles and wipe clean with damp paper towels and then dry paper towels. A small vacuum cleaner can be used in place of the brush + dust pan.

Some things fit better in an aquarium

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/stereotypical11/P1010311.jpg?t=1326754955
For example, dividers for reintroduction are easier made for and placed in an aquarium, because of its rectangular shape all the way through. Shelves can be more efficiently placed against the glass walls. Objects can be secured with suction cups throughout. Log bridges or rectangular pieces of wood and such could be used to block off sections for different types of terrain.

These are some of the qualities of aquaria that I've grown to appreciate. A positive quality that aquariums share with bins is the ability to hold a very deep layer of bedding for digging.

-------

A 40 Gallon Breeder is 36" long, 18" wide, and ~17" tall. A 30 gallon breeder has the same footprint but is ~13" tall. For a syrian hamster who requires a wheel of 11" or greater, I would recommend a 40 gallon breeder--or if you wish to have custom shelves or very deep layers of bedding. Dwarfies or small syrians will do well in 30 Gallon Breeders.

If you live in the U.S., Petco has regular Dollar-per-Gallon sales on its Aqueon range of tanks, so you can get a 40 Gallon Breeder for just $40 + tax! A mesh screen top is usually $20-25, less on-line. I prefer and use a hinged screen for easy access to your hams. There is also Zilla Critter Cage in the 40 gallon breeder shape. It already comes with a screen top cover and can periodically be found on a 50% off sale at Petsmart and such for ~$60.

I found that top cover screen clips are not necessary for at least the tops I own (Petco hinged top screen for 40 Gallon Breeder size), as they sit pretty securely on my tanks already.

Hope I haven't missed anything important.

Edited to add: Issue of ventilation. A Breeder-style aquarium is wider than it is tall, so the top opening is actually quite large compared to the depth. For a 30/40 gallon aquarium, the opening is huge, so there is plenty of ventilation. I've never noticed even a hint of condensation last summer, and it does get very hot and humid here on some days.

Gibbs&JackBlack
01-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Very well done review. I agree that tanks are a great cage option-esp the larger ones. I think the 40 gal breeder tanks are really an ideal size. And in the USA, this is one of the best options available.

I have tanks for all my cages and while they are heavy, this works to my advantage because my younger kids can't move them! And I agree they are easy to clean.

Mikayla
01-16-2012, 07:39 PM
As always I'd like to day I love your cages.

The review was GREAT. Thank you :)

I wish I had the money for aquariums but sadly I don't have that kind of cash. *sigh*

Gibbs&JackBlack
01-16-2012, 07:44 PM
I wish I had the money for aquariums but sadly I don't have that kind of cash. *sigh*

I just wanted to add that you can often find aquariums cheap at thrift stores, garage sales, or on craigslist. I've found 2 of my 20 gal long tanks for $15 each at a thrift store and I got a 10 gal tank for $3!
I've been looking for a 40 gal tank for awhile but know that I can always get 1 at Petco for $40 when they have their $1 a gal sales (which they just had).

Hamtastic
01-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Oh is it over already :( Well, they've had at least 3 since I got my 40 gallon last summer. So should probably have another in the next couple months (I hope).

Thanks, Mikayla :mrgreen:

Gibbs&JackBlack
01-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I just checked-the $1 a gal sale is until Jan 21

Mikayla
01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
WHAT? IT IS?

Maybe I can convince my dad I need I reserve cage? As a teenager I can't make very much money. I made ten today by washing the dogs... I reeeeeeeally want a 40 gallon :P

Edcaguy
01-04-2013, 01:05 AM
I that petco's 40 gallon for $40 regular price $114.99 tag says good through 1/19/13 in DFW TX

Dandelion07
01-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Sounds like a great bargain!

Hamtastic - I LOVE your set ups!

Biscotti
01-04-2013, 05:55 AM
That's an excellent review Hamtastic! :D You've listed very elegantly almost all the reasons why I prefer tanks over barred cage. I'd like to add that glass tanks also prevent bar chewing and substrate falling out, although those are more general things shared with plastic tanks. (On reread I realized the lack of chewing was listed. Forgive me as it's 5 AM and haven't had my coffee yet :p)

I've just picked two 40gB from Petco today and will order the covers online, good to know that the cover will be a good fit. :)

Kissa
01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
And once again, now I have serious cage envy ;) I love tanks, but as far as I've found, all the ones that are more than 30cm wide in the UK come with all the stuff you need to keep fish, which I don't need :lol:

Syoti
01-10-2013, 07:53 PM
[/LIST]
This might actually not be obvious, but I find it easier to clean an aquarium than some bin style cages, such as Mini Duna or F.O.P. Gabia Tamburino--they have gridded plastic bottom which traps dust and dirt and requires washing. To clean an aquarium, I take out all the toys and accessories and scoop all the bedding into a trash bag, holding it inside the aquarium. Then I use a small brush with a dust pan to pick up small particles and wipe clean with damp paper towels and then dry paper towels. A small vacuum cleaner can be used in place of the brush + dust pan.

Regarding on cleaning an aquarium home for Syrians. Do they only poop on a certain spot of the aquarium or do they poop on random spots? I know they pee only on a certain spot but how bout the poop?

I am having hard time cleaning their aquarium coz the poop already got mixed up in the wood shavings.

Muddy
01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Your cage set ups are absolutely stunning! This is also a fantastic review, great information. :D

~Exile~
01-15-2013, 04:14 AM
guhh, Now I need this. It's so hard to get a good cage in canada/usa ;-;

I've been thinking of getting a tank before, but my dad said it would've been
better to get a cage, even though all the cages in the store and like 1x1.

On the bright side there's a 30 gallon one for about only 50$, at my local
petshop (:

Lloydhammy
02-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Today I found a 20 gallon tank (garbage day ) but noticed it has some cracks on the bottom. I was wondering about putting thick layers of cardboard on the bottom until I am able to get aquarium silicone. And this weekend I will make a wire lid for it. Does anyone think that will be ok until I can fix it properly?

cathface
02-15-2013, 05:27 AM
Today I found a 20 gallon tank (garbage day ) but noticed it has some cracks on the bottom. I was wondering about putting thick layers of cardboard on the bottom until I am able to get aquarium silicone. And this weekend I will make a wire lid for it. Does anyone think that will be ok until I can fix it properly?

is it for a Syrian or a dwarf? a 20 gallon I would consider too small for a Syrian.

by cracks, do you mean proper, deep cracks, as in you can feel them by touching? if not then, if supported properly, then I don't think you'd need to put silicone on. hamsters and their stuff is not as heavy as a tank full of water, so whilst a tank with cracks may not be viable for fish, it should certainly be good for our furry little friends!

karlikruschel
11-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi, I love the look of your hamster habitats! I was just wondering where you found things like your tree tunnels, natural looking wheels, etc? I would love to create a similar looking home without all the plastic/cheap looking toys I'm seeing in most pet stores.

Biscotti
11-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi, I love the look of your hamster habitats! I was just wondering where you found things like your tree tunnels, natural looking wheels, etc? I would love to create a similar looking home without all the plastic/cheap looking toys I'm seeing in most pet stores.

I'm not Hamtastic, but you can find most of these in the reptile section of your local pet store. :) There are various types of driftwood such as grapewood and cork bark (comes in flats and rounds), wood arches, and food/water dishes made to look like natural stone that you can use for a sand dish.

Not sure where you're located, but the wood wheels are not available in the US and must be imported. Otherwise, I believe places like Zooplus sells them in the UK/Europe.

Bashful&Mortimer
03-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Awesome review! :). I personally have been keeping my hamsters in 10-gallon tanks, and they seem to be ok (though obviously they could use more space :P, but this teen can't afford it) so I am a HUGE fan of aquariums as habitats.

HollyHamster
03-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Awesome review! :). I personally have been keeping my hamsters in 10-gallon tanks, and they seem to be ok (though obviously they could use more space :P, but this teen can't afford it) so I am a HUGE fan of aquariums as habitats.

Um...not to nitpick, but 10 gallon tanks aren't big enough. O_o

How can you squeeze in all that a Syrian needs in that small of a space? I am assuming you have Syrians as there are pictures of them in your signature.

Take the wheel for example. A Syrian should have a wheel no smaller than 12 inches, as to keep their backs absolutely flat while running. If their backs curve while they are running, they will surly develop spinal deformities and neurological problems down the road. I have a hard seeing how you'd fit a 12 inch wheel into a 10 gallon cage. :confused: I can fit one into my 29 gallon tank easily enough, but still, I feel it takes up a lot of room.

Hekomi
03-19-2014, 06:16 AM
My boys share a 40 gal and they love it. I love being able to see them all the time, and there is tons of room for them to run around. They've never escaped and I haven't ever noticed any ventilation issues. I love the aquarium style tanks and can't wait to get more when I have more hamsters!

Bashful&Mortimer
03-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Um...not to nitpick, but 10 gallon tanks aren't big enough. O_o

How can you squeeze in all that a Syrian needs in that small of a space? I am assuming you have Syrians as there are pictures of them in your signature.

Take the wheel for example. A Syrian should have a wheel no smaller than 12 inches, as to keep their backs absolutely flat while running. If their backs curve while they are running, they will surly develop spinal deformities and neurological problems down the road. I have a hard seeing how you'd fit a 12 inch wheel into a 10 gallon cage. :confused: I can fit one into my 29 gallon tank easily enough, but still, I feel it takes up a lot of room.
I don't mind you nitpicking. ;). I did have a Syrian, my Bashful, who died last week. Her back didn't arch while running on her wheel. Now, my Winter White, Henry, doesn't have his back arch when he runs on his either, although now that I know 10 gallons are much too small, I am building him a bin cage. :)

Kelibr
06-11-2014, 11:26 AM
This was very helpful. I'm going from a bin to a 40 gallon tank due to my hammy chewing the top and I was wanting to know if my 12" silent spinner will fit. Thanks for the review!

Kelly

RenK777
09-26-2019, 08:43 AM
As always I'd like to day I love your cages.

The review was GREAT. Thank you :)

Just going through this thread and wanted to mention that if you're in the US, check out Craigslist in your area for used aquariums (sometimes they're free!) or Marketplace and other local groups on Facebook. My daughter's hammie is currently in a 29 gallon tall which isn't ideal...still hunting for a 30 or 40 breeder to give Buttercup more room. My boy is in a 20 breeder...so same footprint as Buttercup's...just not as tall. So I'm looking for a 30 breeder for him. I prefer 40 but the ceiling slopes and the height won't fit in the area I have him. Regardless, I haunt those sites daily and I'll continue upgrading and reselling the previous tank until both are in a Detolf now that I know it exists. Just don't know how I'll fit either in our space but I'm good at Tetris and loading dishwashers so I'll figure out a way :D:D:D