PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

peanut25
05-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Whisper is pregnant. I know this for a fact from reading all the posts and checking her over real well. She is about 2 and a half weeks along and getting very large. I have taken her wheel out, given her more food, some boiled egg and chicken, built a huge house out of these things called puzzle pieces and trying not to disturb her. The only problem is she wants to come out but I don't want to handle her to much. She has more energy than normal. should I keep taking her out or just let her rest? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The father is Bandit. My Bear has passed on to hammy heaven :cry: . I have one sad thing happen and one exciting thing happen.

babyboos
05-12-2005, 05:11 PM
They do get very energetic just before the "big day" - play with her gently it wont hurt her if you are careful and try to not put her in her ball but run in the bath or somewhere you can contain her.

peanut25
05-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Thanks I didn't even think about that. I have been letting her run on the bed and couch. She is so fast. As soon as the babies are born I will take pictures. I am going to keep two of the babies. I can't wait.

babyboos
05-12-2005, 05:39 PM
These are fine but you need to make sure she cannot possibly fall off as this can damage the little ones and her :cry: and you don't want to have to lunge at her to stop her tumbling off I was going to suggest it though but thought better of it incase anyone tried it without taking enough precuations.

peanut25
05-12-2005, 05:43 PM
She is watched closely. I don't want her to hurt herself or the babies. I feel bad taking her wheel out though. I just heard and read that you should take it out.

babyboos
05-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Oh I have absolutely no doubt YOU do watch her closely :oops: I know how much you love your little ones :P The wheel can usually stay in until the night before birth - it is just to stop her dragging a pup into it still attached to her nipple - though they are generally far too busy to bother with wheels in the first few days :evil: The pups have two little fang like teeth which they use to help suction themselves onto a nipple therefore they can often be dragged out the nest still attached. Good luck, not many hours left to wait I wouldn't have thought now :P

Emma
05-13-2005, 12:36 AM
One thing though - gestation is 16 days, so if she's 2 and a half weeks they should be here any minute!

If you know exactly when they were mated, she should give birth by the evening of the 17th day at the very latest, if you're sure she's pregnant and hasn't delivered by day 18 veterinary attention is needed.

So the (hamster) wheel turns eh - I hope it all goes ok!

babyboos
05-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Any sound of babies yet?? It is exciting isn't it :oops: :D

peanut25
05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
I put her wheel back in and she is even larger tonight than she has been. I know when she became pregnant because honey happened to let her and bandit play together not thinking. It's alright though I will have more to love and that is fine. I think she is nearing her time because she is sleeping a lot more and nesting. I just cleaned her home again. I am very excited and will take pictures for everyone.

babyboos
05-14-2005, 04:59 PM
keep an eye on her and listen closely you will hopefully hear babies chirping soon if not she may be exhibiting signs of a false pregnancy they put weight on, nest build and everything but then slowly return to normal size.

peanut25
05-14-2005, 06:00 PM
=D> babies are arriving right now as I type this. I am so excited I have butterflies

peanut25
05-14-2005, 07:06 PM
I got a quick glimpse as she was getting a drink and counted 5 babies but you never know there might be more. I will give it a while before I try and bother her. Yeah I am a grandmother. \:D/

amnerisryn
05-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Congratulations!!!! :D

2hammies2luv
05-15-2005, 10:04 AM
\:D/ oh how exciting!!! hope mom and babies are doing well :D

peanut25
05-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Mom and babies are doing fine. I want to know how many she had but don't want to bother her. I am so excited. She is next to me in the quietest room in the house (the office) and I her the babies when she gets up to go eat. She is being a good mom though. I talk to her and she looks at me like "why are you disturbing me, can't you see I don't get enough sleep and all I did was go to get food. Leave me be" I feel bad for her because they are keeping her awake so much. They are all doing fine though. \:D/

Emma
05-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Congratulations Whisper, Bandit & peanut!! It's exciting having babies around Hamster Central!

Have you thought about finding homes yet?

peanut25
05-15-2005, 03:03 PM
I have found homes for 6 of them already.: :( I at least will be able to visit them and know they are alright. I can't wait to find out how many she has had. I am going to keep one or two of them. Is her home suppose to stink after she has the babies. It's not a bad smell just weird? :oops:

babyboos
05-16-2005, 06:47 AM
It will smell a bit strange and sadly the smell will only get worse over the next fortnight until you finally get the chance to clean the enclosure out. I prepare a fresh cage for them to go into and move the babies into the nest first, then put mother in afterwards, making sure to sprinkle some tasty seeds around the litter layer to keep all of them happy - I leave a lump (how descriptive I know :oops: ) of the nest material in the new enclosure with the babies to help mum settle quicker.

I am taking the boys out of one of my rearing cages tonight (21 days old) - they are using the water botle already which is handy as sometimes I have to help them find it with a lump of cucumber under the spout but these big bruisers have been drinking themselves for a few days now. The girls will stay until they are 28 days old or thereabouts - probably Saturday - then mum will get a well earned 3-4 month rest.

Coco1
05-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Congrats peanut! How exciting. Can't wait to see some photos once they're old enough to show themselves! :D

peanut25
05-16-2005, 06:56 PM
How long should I wait before attempting to clean her home? She seems to not mind me going in and giving her more food and fresh water but I don't want to push my luck to far.

babyboos
05-17-2005, 04:36 AM
As long as you can possibly bear it - a fortnight at least though is best - she wont mind the mess to be honest. You can leave her potty in during the rearing stage. She will teach the kiddies how to use the potty too which is handy :D

peanut25
05-17-2005, 04:38 PM
I hate to sound stupid but what does fortnight mean? :oops:

peanut25
05-18-2005, 06:42 PM
http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/Peanut25/DSCF0127.jpg

It worked \:D/ =D> Here's the first picture of the babys. Not that clear but you can see them none the less. Thank you babyboo.. :D

babyboos
05-19-2005, 02:27 PM
A fortnight is two weeks in english :oops:

carefresh
05-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Awww..they are so cute. You sound so excited, g\congrats on your little baby hammies. :)

peanut25
05-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Thank you for clarifying that. I did happen to use my brains and look it up in the webster dictionary. I should have done that first instead of asking. :oops: Whisper is very protective of her babies so it is hard to get pictures.