PDA

View Full Version : titch is more than likely pregnant

I_am_plankton
01-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Just to let you all know that Titch, the rescue robo, is very round and looks incredibly pregnant to me. I think she is going to pop some babies out today or tomorrow.

I am not going to clean her cage out, I think this will stress her out again like the last litter she had which was also accidental. If only the previous owner had split her and Bean (who now lives with Holly) up.

I am a bit shocked and disappointed as these babies will be at least a 3rd generation of inbreeding, so when it comes to homing them, I will make it crystal clear that they are pets only and not for breeding.

Basia
01-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Ah Leanne, that's a shame. At least she has a knowledgeable person looking after her this time.
Keep us posted how she is getting on.

Holly
01-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Oh dear :?

Well at least she's with you Leanne - I wouldn't have held out much hope for either Titch or the poor babies if she'd still been with her previous owner :roll:

How many babies do robos usually have? Have you thought yet about what you'll do with them? I guess it's fairly easy to leave the girls (or some of them) with mum but what about the boys - how hard would it be to introduce one or more of them to an older male (their dad, for example...say in a Gabber Rex :oops: :oops: )??

I did say if she was pregnant we'd consider taking a male baby if it's possible to introduce him to dad - and I do think that Bean may be a little lonely :( ...he comes out with us every night but he's on his own the rest of the time and I know robos are supposed to be the most social species of hamster.

I need a bit more info on introductions first - in the meantime keep us posted and good luck Titch and Leanne.

Bunsey
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
well, i have some experience in introducing baby boys to older males and it's not good. I put a 3 week old baby boy in with his father and after the boy matured at about 4 months old, he went for dominance and nearly killed his father. the same thing happened twice more when i introduced baby boys to older males for friendship. after 4 months the younger one attacked the older one every time. :cry:

there were 7 in both my litters btw.

Spuds Mum
01-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh sorry to hear Titch looks as though she is going to have to go through all that again - I hope the outcome is a little happier this time than previously :cry:
Thank goodness she is with you Leanne - poor little girl

I_am_plankton
01-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Thank you all - no sign of anything yet but she has grown since this morning :( I am expecting by the end of tomorrow since that will be day 23

Mollz
01-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Sorry to hear that the poor littl girl may have to go through all of that stress again. As the others said, at least she is in good hands.
I have my fingers crossed that she's just become a little podgy after all that TLC from you Leanne!

I_am_plankton
01-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Still nothing, but her attitude has changed - everytime I go near the cage she runs away and hides until I have gone away and I opened it up to stroke her in her wheel and she hated that so maybe she is feeling hormonal lol.

We are out today so I am hoping she can relax and have them without me being here although I am not in my room much maybe she feels uptight about it? She definately looks preg to me today though, day 23...

I_am_plankton
01-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Update:

I think they are here... I am trying to establish whether they are or aren't but Titch is smaller in size today and is being very protective of the nest and is still acting oddly.

I heard some chirping, very faint but it wasn't my imagination!

Spuds Mum
01-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Good luck Titch (and Leanne)
Hope everything ends up okay.

Holly
01-27-2008, 07:41 AM
It sounds to me like they are here - as I said to you in my PM I didn't hear anything for a good while after mine were born and it starts off really faint (imagine how much fainter robo babies must sound!).

Good luck, Leanne and Titch.

Basia
01-27-2008, 08:36 AM
I didn't hear anything either and was convinced Berry had eaten the babies.
Good Luck, hope all goes well and keep us updated.

Matty Day
01-27-2008, 08:39 AM
good luck hope mum and pups are ok!

Mollz
01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Good luck Leanne and Titch, I hope everything goes well.

souffle
01-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Cingrats to titch and the new babies and good luck. Holly and I saw the most adorable litter of baby robos at Bradford and Chris Logsdail said she could have homed them numerous times over that day so heres hoping yours do to. They were very tame and the parents so laid back. Handle the babies as soon as you are able.

jayne
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Congratulations to you both!
Keep us posted :wink:

Bunsey
01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
i've never heard syrian babies (or anything but robos for that matter!) but my robos were very loud and could clearly be heard from across the room!

the robos at the show were so cute, it made me feel broody :(

Holly
01-28-2008, 01:11 AM
I told Leanne about the robo babies at the show - I've never seen anything so cute, they were adorable. Looking forward to pictures of yours, Leanne :wink:

How's it going this morning?

Mollz
01-28-2008, 03:03 AM
Is there any news yet Leanne?
I also can't wait to see pictures - I can't imagine how small robo babies must be!

I have everything crossed hoping that all goes well.

I_am_plankton
01-28-2008, 03:17 AM
I told Leanne about the robo babies at the show - I've never seen anything so cute, they were adorable. Looking forward to pictures of yours, Leanne :wink:

How's it going this morning?

Thank you everybody, it means a lot to know there is plenty of support from people!

I haven't heard anything this morning, but Titch isn't coming out really except to drink and feed on her porridge which she is eating (the woman before said that Titch wouldn't eat anything to do with protein with the last litter so maybe I make it creamier lol). I think we are into day 2 or 3 depending on when they actually arrived, I am not sure when they might be more vocal as I have only heard it a couple of times so far.

As I am writing this, I have just stopped for 10 minutes because Titch just came out and ate a huge amount of porridge (she has been eating at least double the amount of food than she was say a week ago). She looks very tired bless her, I think she is going to need some anti-ageing miracle cream for those bags lol! She has just had a lengthy wash and a run through her tubes, another bit of porridge which she sat in and got everywhere, before going back into the nest.
I am pleased she looks tired, I think that is a sign that there are some hungry babies in there demanding her milk!

Holly
01-28-2008, 03:25 AM
That sounds like good news, Leanne :)

I know my Caramel isn't a robo but she rarely left the nest for the first five or six days and even after that was back in the nest after a brief run until the babies were coming out - sounds like your Titch is definitely feeding babies in there 8)

I_am_plankton
01-30-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure what to write here today, I haven't really been in my bedroom much in the last 2 days but I haven't heard anything :( I was out all day yesterday, but I just can't hear anything when I listen. I think she might have killed them or they might have died :(

They could still be alive, right?

Basia
01-30-2008, 10:53 AM
If she's in the nest I would think they are alive Leanne. Perhaps she doesn't have too many though as it is a back to back litter. My baby syrians were very quiet for the first week and then only really made a noise when Berry left the nest.
Fingers crossed, all is well.

Spuds Mum
01-30-2008, 11:57 AM
It may just mean that Titch is being a really good Mum and keeping her pups so well fed and warm they dont need to make a sound! Not robos, but my last syrian litter were incredibly quiet because Mum was so good at caring for them (after only 3 out of approx. 13 survived from her first litter)
I wouldn't worry too much Leanne, you are doing all you can for titch and not being around much is probably the best thing for her, keeping things nice and quiet so that she can relax and look after her family.
If something has happened (everything crossed it hasn't) then it will have been for a reason. It is so sad that Titch has to go through all this again, but hopefully everything will turn out fine, and at least you can turn things round for her now!

All my best wishes winging towards you and Titch
Teresa

Holly
01-30-2008, 01:57 PM
My litter, as you know, were quiet, Leanne - they had me totally panicked on several occasions in those first few days. I'm keeping everything crossed for you, Titch and the babies.

I_am_plankton
01-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Thank you all, I feel so much better with your experiences, so many people on other forums have been adamant that I would hear definative noises!

She has been in the nest tons, I called her out earlier because I hadn't seen Titch and low and behold, she stuck her head out of the nest and I think I saw something wriggle behind her because it seemed too far away to be her behind moving. I am going to assume that there is definately something still there, continue to feed and water her, and just leave her be.

When might I see the babies out of the nest and when should I move the food to the floor of the cage and I also have a water bottle on a stand that I got from a local £1 shop, when should I put this on the floor for them?

Holly
01-30-2008, 02:19 PM
That sounds more positive, Leanne - I can't imagine why she'd be in the nest all the time if she weren't feeding - and in the nest ALL the time is exactly where my Caramel was for the week or so!

Hamsterlopaedia says robo babies become mobile at 7-8 days and that their eyes open at 14 days :)

I_am_plankton
02-01-2008, 03:22 AM
I am not at home now until tomorrow afternoon, but if they are still there that should be a week since they were born. She has moved lots of bedding from under the platform in the rex to out in the open, but seems to be still sleeping and spending all her time underneath the house which acts as the sand bath, and the bedding underneath that is quite tightly packed. She is still spending a lot of time in the nest, so fingers crossed they are there but again I haven't heard anything in at least 3 days now.

Holly
02-01-2008, 05:09 AM
Well hopefully they'll be trying to move out of the nest over the weekend and you'll get to see them. You are doing all you can by not trying to see them!

Hope to hear good news soon and I'm keeping everything crossed still.

Spuds Mum
02-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Fingers crossed that in a few days you will be reporting that Titch is definitely a Mum again. You've been very patient and it wont be much longer if she has pups that you should be able to see them.

souffle
02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I am sure all is well as I think she would be back to her normal routine if there were no pups in that nest. Even if she only has one that will be an acheivment after having back to back babies so fingers crossed all is going smoothly in that nest. :lol:

I_am_plankton
02-03-2008, 03:12 AM
Hi all, still no sign! However I did sprinkle some budgie seed and oats around and over the nest yesterday just in case. She is still spending a huge amount of time in the one part of it, so fingers crossed!

I really hope they are OK - I never wanted to breed or have babies but I am very excited at the prospect of seeing them. Apparently it isn't unusual though for the pups to not come out until gone day 14 which is next week!

babyboos
02-03-2008, 10:56 AM
you are doing so well being so patient
I am sure you will see a little peanut poke its head out soon
Robo babies are gorgeous

I_am_plankton
02-08-2008, 03:59 AM
Well folks it is 2 weeks tomorrow since she had them, and on Wednesday I had Titch out of the cage on the bed and I heard a little squeak come from inside the cage!

Fingers crossed I might see one shortly :)

Mollz
02-08-2008, 04:40 AM
That's brilliant news Leanne, I too have my fingers crossed that you see them soon :)

Holly
02-08-2008, 06:02 AM
Oh that's great news, Leanne! Keep us posted, it seems robo babies are little more fond of the nest and a little less curious about the outside world than Syrians! I can't wait to see them and I'm so glad it' seems they are ok after all 8)

Spuds Mum
02-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Well I'd say that, unless you have 'squeaky' bedding you must have one pup at least! lol. So pleased that things seem to be going well. You have been so patient - I think I would be absolutely beside myself with curiosity by now, but with Little Titch's history you are doing the absolutely right thing by taking things at her pace.
But Im sure it cant be for much longer! :x

Basia
02-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Ooo, how exciting, sounds as if you definitely have pups. They must come out of the nest soon!

I_am_plankton
02-10-2008, 04:33 AM
Hi all I have been having nightmares over this!

One minute I swear something is in there and the next I am just not sure.

I have only heard a few noises in the last 2 weeks, the last being Wendesday and yet still nothing has come out of the nest and I am beginning to doubt that there is anything there since the bedding doesn't so much as move when Titch is away from it.

Am I being a paranoid person? When can I look to see if there is something there? My mum says to leave it another week but I just can't bare not knowing the truth!

Basia
02-10-2008, 05:02 AM
I'm not the best person to give you advice because I would have to take a peek. Does Titch come out of her cage at all? You could use a spoon to open the nest a bit and just have a quick look. If there are any babies they are 2 weeks old now so I would have thought the nest would be moving and the babies would be squeaking. There could just be one maybe.

Mollz
02-10-2008, 06:58 AM
If there is a way for you to just have a quick peek, without disturbing anything and while Titch is away from the nest, then I would probably have a very quick look. At least you'll know for sure though.
I wouldn't risk it while Titch was in the cage though.

souffle
02-10-2008, 12:20 PM
If there is a baby I would expect it to be needing its own food and water by now Leanne. Is mum spending a lot of time in there still? I would be tempted to peep now using a spoon rubbed in bedding to see if any pups are there. Does mum look ok and are the nipples still visible as if she is still suckling? Normally by this stage the babies are out and about but if she only has one she may be keeping it in the nest. Can you offer a teasponn of food at the opening and see if anyone comes out as they usually will.

I_am_plankton
02-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Would me putting on a pair of latex gloves rubbed in bedding be ok to check? I haven't had titch out since Wednesday and her nipples were still up then, it is just I want to be certain there is something there or not since I am so paranoid now.

She spends a fair amount of time in the nest but is sleeping in a different place to what she was say a week ago, and I can't vouch for what she does when I am asleep :S

souffle
02-10-2008, 12:43 PM
The smell of latex is quite strong and may upset her. I would still suggest the spoon as metal does not really have a smell and would not make the bedding smell odd to Titch. Have you tried looking in with a torch to see if there is any movement?

I_am_plankton
02-11-2008, 03:50 AM
Thank you both for your advice. I took a clean spoon this morning and rubbed it in the bedding, and then carefully picked through the nest and bedding.

Needless to say, there are no babies, and no remains either so I cleaned the cage out.

I am disappointed since I was looking forward to keeping a girl with her, so I am going to look for a rescue female of 8 months+ to put with Titch.

Thanks everyone for your advice on the thread, I am sad it has had a sad ending.

Basia
02-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Oh I'm sorry Leanne, that's a shame. You couldn't have done any more for Titch though, it was obviously not meant to be, but it is very disappointing.
Hopefully you will find a needy little girl to keep Titch company soon.

jayne
02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Sorry to hear that :(
As mentioned, you couldnt have done anymore for Titch than you have done so try not to dwell on it too much and hopefully a little companion for her will come along shortly!

Mollz
02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
So sorry to hear this Leanne, you did all you vould, and if there were babies then Titch must have had good reasons for them not being here today.
I hope your not too dissapointed, and I hope you find a friend for Titch soon.

Holly
02-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Aww Leanne, I'm really sorry to hear that. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, you did everything you possibly could have done and I'm sure having a second litter was just too much for Titch for the outcome to be any different :(

Spuds Mum
02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Oh Leanne I am so sorry to hear that. At least Titch is now in a lovely home with lots of care and attention from you and she wont be placed in that awful position again.

souffle
02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
The mums are always right Leanne and what will be will be. You did a great job of giving her the best chance but if she could not cope then her body knew the right thing to do. Hugs to you and a speedy return to full condition for little Titch in her new and lovely home.